Advice please, correct wording on cancellation policy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score

Hello fellow geeks,
I am currently updating my price list and need help in wording correctly my CANCELLATION POLICY.

On my current price list it reads like this;
A 50% DEPOSIT REQUIRED ON ALL TREATMENTS OVER £20.
A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR CANCELLATIONS
DEPOSITS ARE NON- REFUNDABLE IF THE MINIMUM 24 HOURS IS NOT GIVEN.

However I am not pleased with this anymore as I need to word it covering cancellations, no shows and postponed appointments even if they havent left a deposit, stating that a fee of 50% will be incurred.

This is what I come up with to write on the new price list, but after showing it to my mum and sister they both said it sounds too harsh and strict, and that I dont want to loose clients!
CANCELLATION POLICY;
A 50% DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED ON ALL TREATMENTS OVER £20
DEPOSITS ARE NON- REFUNDABLE IF THE MINIMUM 24 HOURS NOTICE IS NOT GIVEN
A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED TO CANCEL/POSTPONE AN APPOINTMENT OTHERWISE A 50% CANCELLATION FEE WILL BE INCURRED

PLEASE HELP ; how would you word it? :confused:

I only rent a beauty room in a sunbed shop but have had so many no-shows and cancellation lately its really getting me down!
I dont have a card machiene so cant take deposits over the phone!:irked::cry:

I don't think that is too harsh but I'm not too sure of the grammer. It sounds like you are repeating yourself, mentioning the 50% deposit twice. I am also unclear whether the deposit is part of the cost of the treatment for a postponement although I would assume it is but perhaps not as you have mentioned it (sorry I have confused myself, *takes a deep breath* and continues).

Also how do you plan on taking a deposit without a card machine?

Sorry I have been absolutely no help at all and probably shouldn't have even posted! Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think that is too harsh but I'm not too sure of the grammer. It sounds like you are repeating yourself, mentioning the 50% deposit twice. I am also unclear whether the deposit is part of the cost of the treatment for a postponement although I would assume it is but perhaps not as you have mentioned it (sorry I have confused myself, *takes a deep breath* and continues).

Also how do you plan on taking a deposit without a card machine?

Sorry I have been absolutely no help at all and probably shouldn't have even posted! Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the reply
If the treatment booked comes to over £20 i would ask them to drop a deposit in, or if they book their next appointment while in the salon i will ask for a deposit then and there.
Regarding the wording - thats my problem, I know what I mean just cant word it correctly.

What would you write? x

i have read a few posts where people have cancellation charges......just wondered though how you actually enforce it and do people actually pay it.....do you let them off it when they turn up to there appointment for what ever reason???
Wouldnt you just end up pushing people away....i understand we are trying to run a business...and obviously if people end up taking the mick then thats something that would have to be addressed.
Have wondered about this for a while and just curious really....do many people have them??

How about this?

CANCELLATION POLICY;

DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE

A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED TO CANCEL/POSTPONE AN APPOINTMENT OR A 50% CANCELLATON FEE WILL APPLY

How about this?

CANCELLATION POLICY;

DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE

A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED TO CANCEL/POSTPONE AN APPOINTMENT OR A 50% CANCELLATON FEE WILL APPLY

Fantastic, thank you so much, that sounds perfect and worded perfectly. :hug:

i have read a few posts where people have cancellation charges......just wondered though how you actually enforce it and do people actually pay it.....do you let them off it when they turn up to there appointment for what ever reason???
Wouldnt you just end up pushing people away....i understand we are trying to run a business...and obviously if people end up taking the mick then thats something that would have to be addressed.
Have wondered about this for a while and just curious really....do many people have them??

Pushing clients away is excatly what I am frightened of!
I just want to state it clearly in the price list - hoping clients will read it and be more incline not to keep cancelling / postponing/ or not showing up in fear that they will be charged.
I think nowadays most salons state some sort of cancellation policy, if they are strict or not with them is another story.
I am a bit of a soft touch so will probably wavier it the first time.
As for enforcing the policy I dont really know how you can, just hope clients respect what you state on your price list/ leaflet.

Booking & Cancellation Policy
*Please be prompt for your appointment as treatment must commence at your booking start time. If late you may have the treatment cut short, & still be charged for the full session.
* If you are not able to attend your appointment please contact me asap so we can offer the appointment to someone else to avoid charges to you.
*If an appointment is cancelled within 24 hours notice a small charge of 50% of the treatment will be added to your next appointment. A no-show will be charged in full.
*For group or large bookings a deposit of 50% is required and 3 days notice is needed to cancel or you will lose your deposit.

that is my salon policy and I have had no problems.

I can't remember off-hand how my cancellation policy is worded but it is enforced.

Not only is the policy written on the back of our price lists but it's also on the notice board in reception & in the treatment rooms, so clients can't plead ignorance.

If a client is a 1st time no show we phone them shortly after their due time, ask if they are ok, would they like to re-book & then draw their attention to our policy. We let them off the 1st time but any more no-shows they are charged (obviously we do use our discretion at times for genuine cases)

Clients are fine about it & some have even ended up paying several times.

As already mentioned, we are in business & have bills to pay. The other week we had about £120 worth of no-shows. Fortunately most of those were aware of our policy so we recouped most of that back.

For any of you too scared to adopt a policy, just look back through your books & see how much money you've missed out on. That may just surprise you.

To soften it you could just add at the beginning: "Unfortunately due to a number of no shows affecting my business"

ie.

Unfortunately due to a number of no shows affecting my business a 50% charge of the treatment/s booked will be payable if 24 hours notice is not given in order to cancel an appointment.

A 50%, non refundable deposit is needed in advance of any booking over the value of £20

Thank you for your consideration.

I just want to say this is a good policy as this will work quite well as you just keep the deposit if they don't turn up so it is easily enforced! Plus you can charge people 50% of their treatment under £20 if they don't turn up and they are more likely to pay up as it will only be a maximum fine of around £9.50 Good idea :)

Last edited:
A 50% deposit is required to secure your booking, in the unlikely event that you cancel or postpone within 24hrs the deposit will be kept. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable

Thanks for all sharing your policys and help with my wording.
Weezie - good idea of writing "unfortunately due to a number of no shows affecting my business"......
hopefully this might make some of my previous no-shows feel a bit bad too.
You are right it definatly sounds softer and also sounds like I didnt want to do this but have to now.
:hug:

Hi guys x

Just wondered if you would put something like this on a postcard ad or is it something you would leave until you have a booking?

Thanks

Great wording ideas btw :)

xx

Booking & Cancellation Policy
*Please be prompt for your appointment as treatment must commence at your booking start time. If late you may have the treatment cut short, & still be charged for the full session.
* If you are not able to attend your appointment please contact me asap so we can offer the appointment to someone else to avoid charges to you.
*If an appointment is cancelled within 24 hours notice a small charge of 50% of the treatment will be added to your next appointment. A no-show will be charged in full.
*For group or large bookings a deposit of 50% is required and 3 days notice is needed to cancel or you will lose your deposit.

that is my salon policy and I have had no problems.

This is great. I've been having loads of cancellations and no shows lately and have been struggling with wording for a policy, can I use this please?

This is great. I've been having loads of cancellations and no shows lately and have been struggling with wording for a policy, can I use this please?
Make sure you change the wording from Deposit to Booking Fee. In law, deposit implies they're entitled to the deposit back in any circumstance unless fully laid out. Much easier to put non-refundable booking fee.

Make sure you change the wording from Deposit to Booking Fee. In law, deposit implies they're entitled to the deposit back in any circumstance unless fully laid out. Much easier to put non-refundable booking fee.

I didn't know that. I will remember to change it. Thank you :)

You have quoted a post from 2008.....9 years ago so highly unlikely that the op is still around.

Hello fellow geeks,
I am currently updating my price list and need help in wording correctly my CANCELLATION POLICY.

On my current price list it reads like this;
A 50% DEPOSIT REQUIRED ON ALL TREATMENTS OVER £20.
A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR CANCELLATIONS
DEPOSITS ARE NON- REFUNDABLE IF THE MINIMUM 24 HOURS IS NOT GIVEN.

However I am not pleased with this anymore as I need to word it covering cancellations, no shows and postponed appointments even if they havent left a deposit, stating that a fee of 50% will be incurred.

This is what I come up with to write on the new price list, but after showing it to my mum and sister they both said it sounds too harsh and strict, and that I dont want to loose clients!
CANCELLATION POLICY;
DEPOSITS ARE NON- REFUNDABLE IF THE MINIMUM 24 HOURS NOTICE IS NOT GIVEN
A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED TO CANCEL/POSTPONE AN APPOINTMENT OTHERWISE A 50% CANCELLATION FEE WILL BE INCURRED

PLEASE HELP ; how would you word it? :confused:

I only rent a beauty room in a sunbed shop but have had so many no-shows and cancellation lately its really getting me down!
I dont have a card machiene so cant take deposits over the phone!:irked::cry:
I rent a room in a salon and am having the same problem. I am thinking about introducing something too. I have been told you need to word it something like a 50% non refundable booking fee will secure your appointment rather than a deposit as they can ask for a deposit back. I only work in the salon 2 days a week so am trying to work out the best way to protect my column. I currently send a text message out as a reminder on the day of their appointment and if I am in the next day I’ll text them for their appointment the next day. As I’m not always in its hard to reinforce payment too. The woman I rent the room from doesn’t ring her clients with a courtesy confirmation call so sm finding it difficult too.

Hi Emma,
with Booksy when they book their appointment online they cannot fully book their appointment until they input their card details. so at the time of a potential no show you have the choice of charging the cancellation fee or waiving it. also the system automatically reminds them of their appointment the day before. this will lower the frequency of no shows. you can also alter the time frame in which they can reschedule without incurring the fee. hope this helps. any questions please drop me a PM.

Latest posts

Back