advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsty Dalton

Reaction score
Hi

Iam just looking for a bit of advice really, iam currently 34 wks pregnant and have been diagnosed with carpol tunnel syndrome in my hands its due to the water retention my hands are swelling badly and i have constant pins and needles so i have been told to defo stop doing nails till after the baby so heres my problem! i dont have a vast amount of clients as i have been doing nails long but what do i do about the ones i have i dont want to lose them as i want to keep them as clients so i do i recommend them to someone else in my area or what iam a confused person? must be the hormones he he he

I had an op for CTS and that was before I ever started doing nails. I'll tell you what really does help. You know the splint you wear on your hand whilst you're asleep at night? They're a beige colour with velcro. There's a metal or plastic strip going through it. Ask your GP and this will help a great deal.

I wish you well. xxx

Kimmi Rocks said:
I had an op for CTS and that was before I ever started doing nails. I'll tell you what really does help. You know the splint you wear on your hand whilst you're asleep at night? They're a beige colour with velcro. There's a metal or plastic strip going through it. Ask your GP and this will help a great deal.

I wish you well. xxx

Hi Kimmi

i have already got one of those from my physio which seems to help but i was wondering if it would still help when iam filling as she told me not to do repetitive movements? do you thin k it will be ok?

Try it and see kirst i had this when i was pregnant with oliver and it cleared up after but if it is still painful why not do what one of the other geeks did while she was ill. She lent me her clients until she recovered from her operation on the condition that when she recoverd she got them back. I enjoyed geting the practice i needed , her clients were still being looked after and she got them all back when she recovered. Sometimes our geeky mates come in ahndy. (no pun intended hun).

wishing you well
x

Kirsty Dalton said:
Hi Kimmi

i have already got one of those from my physio which seems to help but i was wondering if it would still help when iam filling as she told me not to do repetitive movements? do you thin k it will be ok?

I guess the only way to find out it to try it. Wear the splint the night before you do nails.

Mine still plays up. I was filing away the other day and my hand went into a spasm and the file went flying. I felt a right idiot. I just had no control over my hand. But, like I said, I had my CTS before I started doing nails. xxx

Thanks for your replies scatty and kimmi i`ll give both a go and see what happens. what us women have to go through eh i ask you haha x

Change the work your working right now Kirsty!

The only reason you have CTS is down to way you work and the way you hand file, your wrist is not designed to move constantly and continuously in the way that hand filing requires

Seriously consider the use of an e-file and of course the correct associated training.
Why, becaude theres:
Far less wrist movement required
Less pressure
A quicker service
and more comfortable experience for your client

Ive used an e-file for more than 10 years now with an average of 8 clients a day and never EVER exprienced any sort of shoulder/neck/arm or wrist ache of any sort.

Big, BIG believer in the e-file!

frenchy said:
Change the work your working right now Kirsty!

The only reason you have CTS is down to way you work and the way you hand file, your wrist is not designed to move constantly and continuously in the way that hand filing requires

Seriously consider the use of an e-file and of course the correct associated training.
Why, becaude theres:
Far less wrist movement required
Less pressure
A quicker service
and more comfortable experience for your client

Ive used an e-file for more than 10 years now with an average of 8 clients a day and never EVER exprienced any sort of shoulder/neck/arm or wrist ache of any sort.

Big, BIG believer in the e-file!

Thanks for your reply frenchy i will think about that, i havent experienced the problem before its just since i fell pregnant they say its due to the swelling in my hands thats causing it and it should go once i have had the baby so heres hoping eh

Oooops sorry Kirtsy, here's me blaming the hand filing thing when I should remember that pregancy does the strangest of things to our bodies.
I had the biggest urge for pork pies during my first pregnancy, not too bad compared to some ....but Id been a vegetarian for nearly 8 years!!!
...baby girls steal their mothers looks too (mine did!)

Consider the e-filing thing anyway, you'll be needing all the spare time you can get before you know it.

Alternatively don't file from the wrist, file from the elbow and keep your wrist straight ... if that makes sense!

OH babe, pegnancy does funny things to us doesn't it lol...........
but maybe you can make things a little easier for your self.....
I have just gone over the thread that Samuel put on here about Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, I know yours is hormone related but its worth a shot ......
here is the link: http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=13424

Shake out your hands between appointments
Put hands palm down on table and stretch your fingers out
Change position often
Ensure table and chair height are correct
Minimise filing by sculpting with your brush
Always work in a relaxed manner
Rubber Band Exercise

Hope you get better soon babe xxx

A suggestion if I may...

BUT ASK THE DOCTOR FIRST!

A client of mine was telling me about having to reduce the water retention she has due to an inner ear inbalance...ANYWAY, doc told her to stop ALL salt, it has dramattically reduced her water content AND she has lost half a stone!!!

But please ask the doctor if it's ok while you're pregnant!!

Hope that helps!!

G. x

Reducing salt will reduce water retention. Its all to do with the water:sodium ratio in the blood. Also exercising the limb is a good way of removing excess fluid as this promotes the circulation

OOOOOOUCH i got this too in the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy and how blinking painfull was it - thank god it went instantly afterwards!

I didnt have it before and dont get it now although i do seem to get a bit of numb hand and a very slight crampy feeling in my fingers and wrist if i have had a REALLY busy day filing. This is what scares me about giving up my day job.....what if cps returned and i couldnt 'do' nails anymore ! would b gutted.

ANyway i would think about getting an e file maybe as was suggested by frenchy.

HTH babes good luck

Amb x

I thought the vibration caused from e-files could also cause problems???

Not sure though, remember reading it somewhere.

MINKUS said:
OOOOOOUCH i got this too in the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy and how blinking painfull was it - thank god it went instantly afterwards!

I didnt have it before and dont get it now although i do seem to get a bit of numb hand and a very slight crampy feeling in my fingers and wrist if i have had a REALLY busy day filing. This is what scares me about giving up my day job.....what if cps returned and i couldnt 'do' nails anymore ! would b gutted.

ANyway i would think about getting an e file maybe as was suggested by frenchy.

HTH babes good luck

Amb x

this might not work but what about a parrafin wax dip :D , it might ease the pain, and help the water retention :biggrin: , hopefully anyway , lol
its worth a try plus its such a nice treatment :hug: , love dee xx

Hi,

Great advice from your fellow geeks and fellow CTS sufferers....I also sufferred a CTD in my elbow and that is how I got into nails...(we have sooo much in common Kimmi!!!),

If you do decide to go down the loaning out your clients like Scattyfox did (great idea!) and you don't know any other Creative techs in your area and no geek comes forward...then don't forget the girls at Futurenail, they obviously know all the CND techs in your area and might be able to help you.
Great, that as soon as you have the baby you will be instantly free of this problem....but it must be a worry just now.......hope everything goes well for you.

frenchy said:
Oooops sorry Kirtsy, here's me blaming the hand filing thing when I should remember that pregancy does the strangest of things to our bodies.
I had the biggest urge for pork pies during my first pregnancy, not too bad compared to some ....but Id been a vegetarian for nearly 8 years!!!
...baby girls steal their mothers looks too (mine did!)

Consider the e-filing thing anyway, you'll be needing all the spare time you can get before you know it.

He he i have heard that about a couple of vegetarians whilst they have been pregnant funny that eh! mines was strawberries for the first couple of months then it has just been chocolate chocolate and more chocolate god knows how am going to shift this baby wieght he he never mind the bundle of joy i have been promised should make up for it eh! x

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies they have been very helpfull! only 5 weeks to go on monday so not long eh, i`ll keep you all posted on the baby front whenever it decides to appear xxx

Latest posts

Back