Advice, tips and encouragement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getnailed0x

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but I've been in the nail and hair industry for almost 7 years, but mainly nails.

I've always wanted to do nails since I was literately 6 years old. I currently work at a typical nail salon. I am American. Everyone always told me that no one would ever go to an American on her own, they prefer to go to a "discount" salon or to be in and out within a 30 min time frame. So that is the route I took.

They have taught me a a lot over the years, and I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the owners. So here is my problem, I currently work over 65 hours a week, everyday is mandatory and the owners have started "babysitting" me all of a sudden. I have not done anything wrong, no client has complained or anything. I can't do this or this isn't good enough all of a sudden, to the point of where they check every single client and re do everything just to do it!
They always find something that is "wrong". I take pride in my work and a lot of the clients prefer me over my bosses. I don't know if that's whats wrong or what's going on. They belittle me in front of clients all the time, to the point on where many do not come back.

I have a family, that I hardly ever see and I can not participate in any school activities or functions unless it is before work.
So I have almost come to the decision that I want to go out on my own.
I know it's going to be tough and I know the money isn't going to be nearly as good and it is now. I want to make an image of my own and not just be known as the "white girl" I have no clue when I'm going to be able to do it, money is my problem.
That is a HUGE chunk of change to buy all of my supplies and products, so I have started buying it here and there for now. credit isn't an option, it was screwed when I was stupid at 18 and I'm still paying for it trying to build it back up.
I dealt everything with cash so this is biting me big time now. I don't even know how I will break it to them that I want to leave, I know they will retaliate or try to "sabotage" me leaving. They will bad mouth me and I know this. I just need advice from someone if they have been in this situation before. Not just about the situation but starting on my own.
I will more than likely rent a booth at a hair or tanning salon. thank you and sorry this is so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that your current employers would be supportive of you going out on your own, but if not then so be it. Instead of purchasing all your supplies, why not try finding a job that works on commission where your employer supplies the equipment. When you have built up enough clientele, then booth rent. It's bad that your current employer would go as far as degrading you in front of clients. You really should tell them it's unacceptable. If they need to talk to you then it should be in private. I really hope you find a better employer.

Thank you. They have no filter or a means of keeping staff I guess you could say. I really do love my job and my clients and that's why I've stayed so long. I am currently working commission now and it's great but it's killing me tax wise bc I am 1099 and can not write off anything bc I don't supply my supplies. I really want a different atmosphere to work in, that's why I think it would be better to work on my own. All of the other nail salons are the same and don't have a very good reputation. All of the jobs I have looked into are all booth rent and you have to supply everything anyway.

Your bosses sound like bully's. checking every client after you have completed a treatment. If they are re-doing your work then surely they are at a loss, using twice the amount of product and the client only paying once?
Why are you putting up with it? They have no right to treat you like that. You work 65 hours a week and must be so fed up and tired. Maybe take a few days off to sort through things and look for a new job.
I really hope you leave and land them right in it. As no one has the right to treat people they way they are treating you! xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back