All L'Oreal ranges not covering grey ... advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolaluise

Reaction score
Hi Geekies,

Here's my problem, im an avid L'Oreal fan, I always have been, but recently I have one client with the odd few grey's that just will not cover. She's a natural base of about a 5 and likes it to be about a 6, she has literally 7 coarse grey hairs on both sides near the temples, I have tried Majirel 6, 6.0, 6.1, Supreme 6.13, Luo 6 (I know this isn't meant for grey coverage, just tried my luck) and I've pre-softened, just about tried everything I can think of on the L'Oreal front. The strange thing is this ... the colours seems to cover until the second wash then the grey is back in full force. :irked:

I'd like to try another range but don't know what to go for ... any idea's peep's?

Or any other idea's with my beloved L'Oreal?

I'm mobile so can not get Redken incase anyone suggests it :cry:.

Thanks in advance

Nics x

Hi there,

I believe affinage colour range are ideal for grey coverage. I am talking second hand but my friend who has used l'oreal for 40 years is a huge advocat for affinage now-and the product is cheaper too and in 100ml tubes.

Hth.
X

Hey have you been mixing 6.3 in with ur 6?
That gets the grey coverage, so im told... hasnt failed me yet :)
xox

Hi Sarah_clancy, yep vie tried that also ... Didn't cover and was too warm x

I've started using Indola's range of aged hair colour and really like it, didn't find it went too warm either which is always a plus

That's really odd. Mayb try the loreal supreme range, I really like that, it's made for White hair :) xxx

For really resistant grey, leave the majirel on up to an hour. That works for some clients. I was not a fan of supreme and didn't find it covered any better than majirel.

I am finding consistently that I am not getting the grey coverage I used to. I use Schwartzkopf and in the past year have tried various other ranges to still no avail.
I do find the grey series in Schwartzkopf give me better coverage but they all tend to be warm and the bases don't go low enough.

I am thinking of going back to the old fashioned method of pre-softening the grey to see if I can get a better result.

I switched to Redken colours as they have a grey cover range with incredibly dense pigments.

A nice rep has just given me the Joico grey range to try. I wasn't massively over impressed with the grey coverage with Redken, maybe my clients just have very stubborn hair!
It's the lower end of the scale I am struggling. Clients with 60-70% grey wanting to be anything from a 3 to a 5. It covers, but a translucent effect. These clients want total blocked out.

couldnt u try putting 1/4 or half of base 5 in there darker but better coverage?

what % are u using?

Thanks Girl's,

I use 20vol, i've tried Supreme, i've tried a darker shade and i've kept it on longer. :cry: I really want to try another range, think i'll have a nosey around the wholesalers tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies x

I have a client who is 100% White and I find the plus range that clynol do totally cover and does not fade at all I use 9.0+
It's not thick and course thou
X

hey try using 3% on those naughty ones! x
Thanks Girl's,I use 20vol, i've tried Supreme, i've tried a darker shade and i've kept it on longer. :cry: I really want to try another range, think i'll have a nosey around the wholesalers tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies x

Morning all, well did my clients tint yesterday, I did 6 + 5.3 + 3% on the Greg bits only, looked covered ... Let's see what it's like after the next shampoo. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for all your little tips and advice xx

no problem hun! x

I use Wella the double base range- find it works well but you always get those really stubborn ones that look Like a home dye!!!

I know I'm 6months or so late but hey ho.

In the end the 5.3 covered fantastically (although a little dark) I now just use this over the ears on the pesky greys and just use richesse 6 on the rest of her hair... She's also told me that she learning to "come to terms" with the fact that she has some greys (lol)... Her hair grows extremely fast and I think it was the speed of growth that was the problem more so.

Clients eh.... Who'd ave 'em???

Haha ;)

Latest posts

Back