Hi lift hair dye/tint for grey hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuteyolz

Reaction score
Hi guys

i keep seeing people say in forums that hi lift brand hair dye eg. “true colour” isn’t made for grey hair.

***IM NOT TALKING ABOUT “ HIGH LIFT “ IN OTHER BRANDS, this is about HI LIFT brand ..the same company who makes HI LIft bleach and peroxide

But, I contacted the supplier/hairdresser and she said that it does cover grey.( Even the internet says it does cover greys.) Arghhhh

We have been emailing back and forth to find the best formula cos nothing is working for me!

We have been emailing back and forth to find the best formula cos nothing is working for me!
I’m 100% grey, I tried her formula as follows, this is her message

If you think you'll need more than 30g of colour in total, I would do 26g 6-00 + 13g 6-3, with 50mls 20vol. It just makes things less confusing when it comes to measuring :)

This is a note to myself ** I tried the above formula it was ok, not perfect. I will try it with 1:1 ratio next time

i tried the 1:1 ratio and it still didn’t cover my greys, please view my photo attached. could someone please explain why?

should I just use 6/00 alone, I just worry that it would be a flat colour.

thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_3171.png
    IMG_3171.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What brand are you using and how is this related to high lift?

Last edited:
Hi guys

i keep seeing people say in forums that hi lift brand hair dye eg. “true colour” isn’t made for grey hair.

***IM NOT TALKING ABOUT “ HIGH LIFT “ IN OTHER BRANDS, this is about HI LIFT brand ..the same company who makes HI LIft bleach and peroxide

But, I contacted the supplier/hairdresser and she said that it does cover grey.( Even the internet says it does cover greys.) Arghhhh

I’m 100% grey, I tried her formula as follows, this is her message

If you think you'll need more than 30g of colour in total, I would do 26g 6-00 + 13g 6-3, with 50mls 20vol. It just makes things less confusing when it comes to measuring :)

This is a note to myself ** I tried the above formula it was ok, not perfect. I will try it with 1:1 ratio next time

i tried the 1:1 ratio and it still didn’t cover my greys, please view my photo attached. could someone please explain why?

should I just use 6/00 alone, I just worry that it would be a flat colour.

thanks guys!
I'm not familiar with this brand, but after doing a bit of research I can see The packaging states that the mixing ratio is 1:1.5 but the formula above is mixed 1:1?
The formula you have should give coverage. But I couldn't see on any adverts that it gives 100% white coverage.
Here are a few tips I can think of that might give you better coverage.
1) always weigh the colour and developer with scales if available (for accuracy and consistency)
2) use the matching developer, not generic brand.
3) make sure you're laying the colour on and saturating the hair, sometimes if it's not put in thick enough the coverage will be transparent through poor absorbtion.
4) make sure you're taking fine sections, general rule of thumb is that you should (in theory) be able to read a newspaper print through the section.
5) for stubborn white hairs I always go back over my application after 10 mins, so you can see where it may need more colour.
6) consider using a processing cap just to keep a little bit of heat in - this will help the colour develop.
7) consider either adding in a few grams of 4.0 just to boost the density of the colour or adding 1-2 extra grams of tint to developer. - this will aid coverage.
8) make sure you're processing for the full time after you finish applying. I believed I read maximum of 45 mins.
9) I found with other brands that mixing the intense coverage with fashion shades diluted the coverage performance of the intense shades. So rather than mix in 6.3 you could try using the 6.00 as a base and adding in a very small amount of 044 intensifier instead. This way you're getting intense coverage with added tone. Not intense coverage mixed with a regular level 6 and tone.
Hopefully you'll find some of these useful and hopefully it'll help you get the coverage you're looking for.
If you still struggle to get coverage after all of this, I'd suggest changing brands.

Latest posts

Back