Am I a NSS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamimac

Stringfellows Geek
Reaction score
Hi
I dont want to sound dim, but can someone explain to me what a nss is and am I one of them?
I studied with essential nails on a homestudy course. I AM properly trained and up to date with hygene and health and safety procedures. I am fully insured. This sounds daft to say Im clued up on nails and yet not know what nss means but bear with me.

Nss stands for non standard salon. They dont bother with a lot of prep and they use drills etc i think they also use a bad product for your nails. You are not one of these.

Phew! Ok, thanks guys.

Never ceases to amaze me how smallminded these issues can get.

Firstly, it doesn't matter what nationality the nail technician is. You walk a dangerous line when you start singling people out by their appearances and/or cultural attributes. Secondly, I note the photo on the Beautytech site on the link in this thread illustrates an incorrect grip on the drill/e-file, astounding when it's supposed to be extolling the non-virtues of nail products and "non-standard salons". Drills aren't 'bad' either but I find they are grossly misunderstood. They can be a useful tool - if you know how to use them properly. I find the majority of people who knock them, don't.

All this talk about standards. Whose standard is it, I wonder? After all, in the absence of regulation, I'm reading a lot of ad hoc tenets here and finding a few in the outside world as to what supposedly constitutes an acceptable standard. I'm not knocking anyone by the way, I'm just pointing out an observation.

Don't get me wrong: I don't appreciate backyarders either but I'm not so quick to start taking potshots at businesses I only glance at face value. As someone who receives clients from the so-called "standard salons" with nails that look as though they've been done by a first grader, I'm a little more lenient in my judgements these days.

:wink2:

Little Tree said:
Never ceases to amaze me how smallminded these issues can get.

Firstly, it doesn't matter what nationality the nail technician is. You walk a dangerous line when you start singling people out by their appearances and/or cultural attributes.
is there any chance that you could point out whereabouts in the thread this is mentioned please?
I don't see anybody singling anyone out, either by appearance or cultural attributes.
Non standard means just that... below an expected standard, sub-standard, are these issues really smallminded?

Aha, this thread has been edited, Val. When I went to the associated one in which I also posted,http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/21019-how-do-you-educate-about-nss.html I find my post gone.

Censorship is alive and well in here it would appear. Of course my response looks out of whack and I don't blame you for your questioning but I was responding to something that is no longer here.

oooh aaaah i'm NSS .....i'm definately non standard, i consider myself well above standard .... is that a bad thing ?
maybe we can invent other types of salons IE:
AAS = above average salons
ABQS = average, but qualified
IGJAMS = i'm good, just ask me
ASS = average salon standard

PS ....do clients know what L&P is ?

LOL
Good point hun...:D

Little Tree said:
Aha, this thread has been edited, Val. When I went to the associated one in which I also posted,http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/21019-how-do-you-educate-about-nss.html I find my post gone.

Censorship is alive and well in here it would appear. Of course my response looks out of whack and I don't blame you for your questioning but I was responding to something that is no longer here.

No you're not.

And there have been no posts edited or deleted from this thread. If they were, I would be able to see it. You must be confused with another post. The nailgeek site is not censored unless there is falming or a racist remark etc in which case it would be stated in the thread.

Latest posts

Back