Am I too old to train, where to train?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraddi

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I am completely new to this site and a complete beginner with no salon experience whatsoever. I am looking for a complete career change and to get in to nails. I love shellac nails and nail extensions and figured I would love to train to do this, but
A) am I too old? I'm 31 and have only ever done office work so would have to learn from scratch. Then get good enough to do nails. I've never been creative so would have no idea if I'd be right for the job. I was never any good at art so don't know if I could do nail art?
B) which course do I do? I've seen a complete beginners course for shellac, manicure,tips etc on 1 site it's about £300 and on the other it's about £2000!

I love how social the job is and the fact you can be quite free to work it around family commitments. Also I'm thinking one day if I moved abroad, nails are the same everywhere so you would have a skill and could possibly work abroad.

Any options suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

Hello everybody
I am completely new to this site and a complete beginner with no salon experience whatsoever. I am looking for a complete career change and to get in to nails. I love shellac nails and nail extensions and figured I would love to train to do this, but
A) am I too old? I'm 31 and have only ever done office work so would have to learn from scratch. Then get good enough to do nails. I've never been creative so would have no idea if I'd be right for the job. I was never any good at art so don't know if I could do nail art?
B) which course do I do? I've seen a complete beginners course for shellac, manicure,tips etc on 1 site it's about £300 and on the other it's about £2000!

I love how social the job is and the fact you can be quite free to work it around family commitments. Also I'm thinking one day if I moved abroad, nails are the same everywhere so you would have a skill and could possibly work abroad.

Thanks

Laura

Hi and welcome, your never to old and 31 is young anyway. :)
What sites are you looking on?
I would call sweet squared so you get the best advice for you, they can tell you which course, where about's, cost ect xx

(Sent to quick ...lol)
Hi, welcome, we are one big dysfunctional family on here so were all ok, lol ...
It depends on where you want to work?
If you want to be in a salon - NVQ route / if your going mobile / home based you can do short accredited courses ...,

... And your not too old, and you might find that although you thought you weren't artistic you may find yours in this, Nail art is a wide array of things and some simple things look amazing ...
X

Never ever to old...

I'd been doing my own nails for years after doing training when I was about 17/18 fibreglass and then for years got them done by a friend, she then moved and thought right gonna retrain when friendds starting asking about me doing their nails, I'm in my 40's and love it.

Age is a number!

I qualified at the beginning of the year after completing a BABTAC accredited course in manicure, acrylics and gel overlay, so that I can do mobile that fits around my young daughter, I've learnt tons more since qualifying already, by just experimenting with art, glitter, pigments etc, I've got a few clients and love it!! By the way I'm 48!!

If starting out I'd say do a nvq lvl 3, you can get a +24 loan easily and you can do it via the beauty academy, I'm doing mine now as is a friend even tho trained and CND trained..

Never too old! I am 31 and worked for nhs for 10 years and stared doing beauty courses 18 months ago. Now part time in nhs and part time my own business and I love it so much.
My advice for nails is....do the conplete CND course for nails. That way u get acrylics, shellac, manicure, pedicure and the course is so professional. Please dont do what I did and go for the nearest, cheapest course you can find. Was a massive mistake and I have ended up spending more retraining!
Its well worth investing in xxx good luck xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow thank you everyone for your replies. I have been having a little nose on here and it looks like it is worth investing the money in the first place by doing a CND cours instead of cheap course? Sorry one more question (I have so money) how much can you expect to charge as a beginner for doing standard acrylics and shellac? My sister has a salon in her garden so I would be working from there or home. Thanks

Wow thank you everyone for your replies. I have been having a little nose on here and it looks like it is worth investing the money in the first place by doing a CND cours instead of cheap course? Sorry one more question (I have so money) how much can you expect to charge as a beginner for doing standard acrylics and shellac? My sister has a salon in her garden so I would be working from there or home. Thanks

Def CND courses are meant to be the best around / (pay cheap pay twice)
(I charge £20 for shellac / nail extensions start from £25 - £40 depending on which ones ie tips / sculpted / nail art etc ...)
My advice - Once your qualified start charging your worth ... Never sell yourself short ... And I never compete or bothered with what 'miss silly price' is charging down the road ... Lol ... <3

Thank you! I meant so many questions not so money! To answer the earlier reply I have been looking at salon services and capital hair and beauty which do courses for a day up to a week and are cheap. Then I looked at a CND course, complete course for beginners and it's about £1900. The cheaper ones range from about 200/400. Is the expensive one the best one to go for?

Hey your not to old at all, im 30 and just quit office work to train in nails, I went down the CND route as I wanted the ITEC qualification so I can take it abroad, once im up and running I will think about NVQ if I decide I want to move to salon work. You are never to old. I cant really comment on the salon services courses but if you do a search on here you might find some info on it, but I highly recommend investing in the CND complete course I learnt so much that I didn't know about the industry. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained at 31! My background was also office work. I trained at college and there were girls and ladies there of all ages. Some quite a bit older than me. I'm now 45 and have never looked back. Good luck!!!:D

I trained at 37, so glad I did, best thing I ever did; I have my own thriving little business which I absolutely LOVE so much more than any job I ever had before. Been doing nais over 10 years now. :Love:

Go for it xx

You're never too old, you are but a mere baby lol I'm 43 and am currently training with CND. I've no previous experience in beauty, hair etc. and I'm loving it

I went back to college at 32 did 3 full years now 37 with my own little salon . Absolutely love my job now . :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow thank you all so much for all your replies. I think this is definitely the route for me now :)

You're not too old! I'm 45 and just starting out with nails after being in an office for 20+ years. Good luck in your new venture xx

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello everybody

Thanks

Laura

Hi
I'm another newbie on here,I am recently qualified and I am almost 39! I decided to change career from hospitality/retail to something I am passionate about and I love it. Almost set up my home nail salon and ready to launch my new career. I would definitely recommend it.

I'm 30 and only began my training last year. I started by doing an acrylic course then Gelish, I did a cheap acrylic course and like everybody says I will be doing another, it did the job but I want to learn everything and they just go over the basics! To be honest almost all my clients have Gelish or Shellac. Sallys Salon Services offer a Gelish course for £90 and Ellisons do a a shellac course for £60, so might be a good place to start. Ellisons do some fab courses and you can do your nvq whilst paying as you go. Have a look on their website. I work full time so do nails in the evenings and weekends, save your money from them then do other courses and go from there. I have lots of regulars and get lots of comments about my work, I love it! I hope to go part time in the future then when I feel I've built a good customer base leave my job completely. Not sure if there is an Ellisons by you or if they are in the Midlands only. I've seen some training in Bornemouth (maybe CND). Go for it and good luck x

Latest posts

Back