Another insurance query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil

Reaction score
Hi I am just wondering if anyone can help me out? I am insured by babtac and it states I am insured to work in my own home. Great! I thought, but do I still need to clear it with the local council -if so which department to I go to? And also do I need to speak to my mortgage advisor - we have house hold and life insurance but am a bit confused if I need to sepeak to them or not if I am insured under babtac? Sorry if this is covered somewhere - all the insurance threads are quite confusing to me! Any advice be wonderful x

Hi I am just wondering if anyone can help me out? I am insured by babtac and it states I am insured to work in my own home. Great! I thought, but do I still need to clear it with the local council -if so which department to I go to? And also do I need to speak to my mortgage advisor - we have house hold and life insurance but am a bit confused if I need to sepeak to them or not if I am insured under babtac? Sorry if this is covered somewhere - all the insurance threads are quite confusing to me! Any advice be wonderful x

Best thing to do is give us a call jill - 0845 065 9000, then we can discuss any queries you may have?

Thank you know what to do next now!

Yes you do need to speak to your Mortgage company as they may not permit you to work from home. You also need to get a Solicitor to check the deeds to your home as many older properties somtimes stipulate that no business can be carried out from the property. You will need to speak to your Home buildings & contents insurance company as you may find that they will not cover you if you work from home.

You also need to contact the Environmental services at your local council as some treatments require a licence depending on your area and they will also want to visit your premisis to check what chemicals that you are using, ventilation, etc. You will need to check with the Planning department at your local council to ensure that you don't need any permission from them. You will also need to speak to the Valuations office at the council to see if you need to pay Business rates.

It all depends on how often you will be doing treatments and how your 'home salon' is set up e.g. in the house or in an outbuilding etc. And if you can offer parking etc.

Yes it is a lot of red tape, but it is better to ensure that you have covered everything correctly as you never know what will crop up in the future and bite you on the a***

Thanks Sharkster, that's a big help too:) Its very time consuming!

Thanks Sharkster, that's a big help too:) Its very time consuming!

Time consuming yes - but it's not too much hassle. The only issue that I found to be a pain to sort out is the home building & contents insurance. You will need specific 'working from home' insurance that the majority of insurance companies will not offer so either go to a broker who can find the right policy for you or start phoning around. Direct Line for Business do one as do NFU.

Once everything is sorted working from home is wonderful though as it just fits in perfectly with my life and keeps those overheads down!

Latest posts

Back