another new job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma's nails

Reaction score
well, i've just sat down with the owner of a hair salon and we've agreed on everything.

hubby's gonna make me a nail desk, shes gonna buy me 2 chairs. i'll be working 1 day a week to start then hoping to extend to 3 days. we agreed on 25%.

now i need to go shopping. as i'm mobile still, i wont be leaving everything at the salon but will buy duplicates of things such as towels, files, sanitiser, hand wash and a lamp (on a budget so cant duplicate evrything until the money starts coming in). is there anything else i need to know?

this is my first real job working ina salon on my own. the one thing i wanted to ask was, should she pay me cash and i do all the national insurance, tax etc etc. or should she do all that and give me a pay slip? what do u all do. any advise.

emma's nails said:
this is my first real job working ina salon on my own. the one thing i wanted to ask was, should she pay me cash and i do all the national insurance, tax etc etc. or should she do all that and give me a pay slip? what do u all do. any advise.

Surely if you are renting space within her salon you are self employed and therefore responsible for your own N.I. and tax? From the info you have given it cerainly doesn't sound as if she is taking you on as an employee with all the benefits etc.......Who will be taking the money for your services? I would have thought your clients would pay you and thern you would divvy up her percentage at the end of the day......You really should get these things agreed on to save any complications at a later date.......

Oh...... and Good Luck!!

izzidoll said:
Surely if you are renting space within her salon you are self employed and therefore responsible for your own N.I. and tax? From the info you have given it cerainly doesn't sound as if she is taking you on as an employee with all the benefits etc.......Who will be taking the money for your services? I would have thought your clients would pay you and thern you would divvy up her percentage at the end of the day......You really should get these things agreed on to save any complications at a later date.......

Oh...... and Good Luck!!
thanks, so along with my client cards (client details and treatment details and prices) should i have my own cash book in the salon to refer back to and use for my accounts?

emma's nails said:
thanks, so along with my client cards (client details and treatment details and prices) should i have my own cash book in the salon to refer back to and use for my accounts?

Absolutely.....always keep records.
Keep all the receipts for all your expenditure stock equipment etc.......all that equipment you are buying is capital expenditure !.....Do a search on here under accounts...there have been several posts.......Even though you are only working 1 day a week at the moment you should be looking ahead to when you will be fully self employed and you want to pay as little to the taxman as possible!!

izzidoll said:
Absolutely.....always keep records.
Keep all the receipts for all your expenditure stock equipment etc.......all that equipment you are buying is capital expenditure !.....Do a search on here under accounts...there have been several posts.......Even though you are only working 1 day a week at the moment you should be looking ahead to when you will be fully self employed and you want to pay as little to the taxman as possible!!

whoops, i havn't kept any receipts at all. does this matter? i'll start savin them now though

Latest posts

Back