Anxiety and depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will always get aweful clients. Just remember to be professional but firm.. if I have a client who moves there head constantly during foils I ask them politely to keep there head still. If they keep doing so I go onto say if they don't keep there head still there foils may bleed...
I do feel for you as when I first started i was a pushover but I have learnt do not be a pushover. Be firm, charge what your worth and never do free-bes unless it is your fault. People will take the pi** out of you if let them. Remember your a buisness woman. All buisness men/women who have successful buisness' have succeeded for a reason - they take no crap and don't let people walk all over them. Hope this helps pet if you need to talk feel free to message me x

Thanks your so kind! I get embarrassed easily lol!
In the salon I work in the girls are really bitchy and don't treat the clients great but they keep coming back must be something in the water!
I can never understand a woman who feels its ok to act like that towards anybody doing a service for her if I wasn't happy I'd let them know and if they try to fix it but I still don't like it I just don't go back... But I don't say anything hurtful or act in a certain way...
My anxiety for sure got worse when I started nixers as I'm in their home with their family and friends and if they don't like something it can be very humiliating!
One of the trainee's in my job cries anytime a client gives out lol some people out there with no f**ks to give.

Lifes a game...of Snakes & Ladders.....one day the snake........:eek:
But the next day....Oh ...well just look at that....I see a ladder! :)

You will NEVER please everyone.:oops:

Accept that, or you are doomed!

Enjoy those clients that will 'top up your bunnies', and tell you that you are the best, and that you can never retire!
Forget, in an instant the 'unrealistic expectation!'.:p

Be sure to consult BEFORE you carry out ANY service.....:cool:
If the alarm bells ring, DO NOT PROCEED!

In this profession, the passionate amongst us are often 'people please'rs'
We want/need to be liked.:D
This causes us great distress if the outcome is different.:eek:

Don't give up - be selective.;)

Last edited:
It's the old chestnut.. 'the customers always right'
It's the most incorrect pile of sh** saying out there. The best thing I could say is smile, keep composure and don't panic. Like i said you can't please everyone.
If clients are rude to me I just say I'm unwilling to deal with them, I will sit and listen and have a conversation but if they start getting untowards me I just say I've offered my opinion/ a solution and if they are not happy to go elsewhere and seek treatment. X

I suffer with depression, it started after i had my 1st baby (mix of pnd and an abusive relationship) got better then came back when i had my 3rd baby. I keep thinking its getting better, but then i take a step back and take notice of things im doing and realize it's not. For eg. I was mobile and hated getting appointments because it ment i had to go out of the house and my anxiety went through the roof. I then stopped doing mobile and worked from my house. So im in the house almost 24/7. Which is sooo not healthy. I've realized in my own head that its not going to make things better doing what i'm doing and i need to pull myself out of my weirdness. So i've dived in at the deep end and im renting a room in a salon close to me. My partner is supportive but my family have told me im wasting my time (not really what i need to hear) so im going to prove them wrong and get my mojo back xx

I suffer with depression, it started after i had my 1st baby (mix of pnd and an abusive relationship) got better then came back when i had my 3rd baby. I keep thinking its getting better, but then i take a step back and take notice of things im doing and realize it's not. For eg. I was mobile and hated getting appointments because it ment i had to go out of the house and my anxiety went through the roof. I then stopped doing mobile and worked from my house. So im in the house almost 24/7. Which is sooo not healthy. I've realized in my own head that its not going to make things better doing what i'm doing and i need to pull myself out of my weirdness. So i've dived in at the deep end and im renting a room in a salon close to me. My partner is supportive but my family have told me im wasting my time (not really what i need to hear) so im going to prove them wrong and get my mojo back xx

That's exactly how I feel when I have a mobile app. The anxiety is wreckless cause I don't feel in control of my surroundings and they have the advantage to treat me how ever they want. I think some clients want to complain to get a free service.
I like to be in control obviously cause of OCD and when I am not in control I can feel the anxiety coming on like a tonne of bricks.
You're right it's not good to be at home all the time I love going out anywhere for walks anytime.
I have also noticed that clients prefer me to go to them rather than a salon, my mam said that I'd better being mobile cause why would clients come to me when they can just go to a salon....

It's the old chestnut.. 'the customers always right'
It's the most incorrect pile of sh** saying out there. The best thing I could say is smile, keep composure and don't panic. Like i said you can't please everyone.
If clients are rude to me I just say I'm unwilling to deal with them, I will sit and listen and have a conversation but if they start getting untowards me I just say I've offered my opinion/ a solution and if they are not happy to go elsewhere and seek treatment. X

Exactly!!
It's it's crazy cause that nightmare client I had on a Saturday morning, on the Friday night I got no sleep from anxiety and usually I don't have to much trouble providing I take a kalms to lessen the anxiety.... And she turned out to be a right female dog... lol
My dad said that I should have went with my gut feeling!

I remember all the times I used to cry to my husband about my anxiety and how I wanted to change careers as I got too nervous to do clients hair. I started having panic attacks whilst cutting hair and well it can't be done can it! He told me I can't give up as I'm good at my job and you have to fight these things! And he was right! It all started in a salon that got abit bitchy and they weren't supportive at all! I tried medication but it made me have suicidal thoughts! Once I left the salon I never had a panic attack again but the anxiety comes back now and again! But I am a lot better at dealing with it now and I refuse to let it beat me! It's hard at times and no one seems to understand! I recently went on beta blockers, I found them a lot more helpful than antidepressants. I hope you feel better about everything soon x

You're totally right! Why would you give it up if your great at your job!
I've lost passion over the past couple months over the anxiety
I was in a salon a few years ago and the manager was a piece of crap... took me on for 5 weeks 1 or 2 days a week, €50 wages and then let me and another girl go he hired us at the same time and let us go at the same time! I was hairdressing 5 years at the time and he said he was letting me go cause I don't shampoo properly!! He was just looking for an excuse as I had trained with a rival company he obvi hated it lol....
I was fine when on medication but I really just didn't like being on it it actually made me stop caring about me personally...
For a long time I never said anything to my mam and dad about OCD and anxiety cause they would always tell me to get over it... But the night I started this thread I told them and got emotional they actually listened and I felt a tonne of bricks being lifted...
I never want to work in a salon cause of the people you're surrounded with but what is anyone to do? You gotta work...
I think I could be better at a less stressful job and doing hair and tanning part - time... Something to think about?
@babychops

Lifes a game...of Snakes & Ladders.....one day the snake........:eek:
But the next day....Oh ...well just look at that....I see a ladder! :)

You will NEVER please everyone.:oops:

Accept that, or you are doomed!

Enjoy those clients that will 'top up your bunnies', and tell you that you are the best, and that you can never retire!
Forget, in an instant the 'unrealistic expectation!'.:p

Be sure to consult BEFORE you carry out ANY service.....:cool:
If the alarm bells ring, DO NOT PROCEED!

In this profession, the passionate amongst us are often 'people please'rs'
We want/need to be liked.:D
This causes us great distress if the outcome is different.:eek:

Don't give up - be selective.;)
That applies to many people however if you have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety then it can feel like it's outwith your control.

My last salon I worked at for 4 years and boy was it stressful , I literally dreaded going in every day , the boss was so controlling and critical and I eventually left and now am full time mobile. I find this so much better as can say no to anything that's going to stress me x

The salon i'll be working in is my friends, and there is only her works there. So hopefully i wont have much stress. I just really need to get out the house, i feel trapped xx

Reading this thread got me thinking. This industry has some awful management and awful clients. The bitching and intimidation isn't uncommon. It's crazy because there are also a lot of nice decent people in the industry who get affected by the bad side of it profoundly.

I worked in three different spas. The one I worked at most recently had a lovely team of people and they were awesome to be around. On a bad mental health day, I will think more about the very first spa I worked at where the bullying was widespread but acute. Some awful bitching going on. It's a tough one because employed roles in this industry can be a real mick take, especially in terms of the hourly rate. Trouble is though, self employment has a lot of anxiety provoking elements to it...will I get enough customers? What's it going to be like in their house? Can I trust them to pay me and not mess me about?...It's stressful because in trying to take the power back, the new set of challenges that self employment presents can be considerable.

Really pleased to see this thread because I'm not alone.

It's hard because anything and everything can be triggering so a change of career won't necessarily help.
Viberate
I'm a big believer in making things manageable even if other people don't understand or judge it. Ask people to text and then call them back. It can help you feel less put on. Not all clients will work like that but it's worth it if the phone makes you anxious.
It's heartening to find camaraderie in navigating the maze of triggers. Managing things in a way that works for you is the key – like turning the volume down on the chaos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back