Any advice on going mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi ya

Im thinking of going mobile to start out as a therapist in the summer but need some advice on dos and donts as unsure if i should do mobile due to the carrying of products etc and the hassle of finding clients houses :irked:

I dont have a spare room at home, and have a baby, so working around my little one for now is essential. Im thinking of doing spray tanning, waxing, eye lash tint/shape and nails.

Any horror stories and what to watch out for, or not too do or some good advice and encouragement would also be welcomed, also any ideas on a summer house done out to a good speck???:)

cheers

nenee

well first dont worry about finding clients either have a good luck at where they the night before or geta sat nav!!:)

with regards carring equipment try this
Beauty Boxes - Riva Bella
thats how i carry my things.

make sure you advertise yourself well, have the correct insurance,when pricing take in to account your car/traveling,check out local rivals with regards pricing yourself up and make sure you set hours that you want to work and get childcare that you can trust and that wont dump you in it if you have a client.

good luck iam sure it will be great for you any more questions just ask:hug:

We have heard many stories from mobile therapists that seem to sell their service far too cheap and end up with nothing in the pocket, sometimes not even enough to buy more products in for the next treatments.

If you are travelling to your clients house consider the time and cost for you to get there - I know that you are probably eager to get started and maybe an initial offer at reduced prices could work but be careful not to leave it there for long otherwise your clients could get used to it. Maybe you could do a special price for the first time a client comes to you or even something special when they recommend a friend?

Another way might be schools and colleges or as you are a mum, have a chat with the other mums in the kiddys group or pin up some notices in the community or sports centre? Most valued clients will establish over time and through word of mouth and when that happens you know you have made it!

On the safety side I would just recommend insurance for the treatments you do and also to make sure you are insured to do them in someone elses house (because of the risk of damage to carpet/furniture etc). I am sure the Guild can help you with that (best speak to Lynne or Louisa - they are fantastic and very helpful!)

Hi One of the things I found when I was mobile (many years ago now) was that some clients would take up extra time such as getting the dinner in the oven before I did a facial, taking phone calls etc, etc!!! Beware of being taken advantage of - it is your time. Either be firm or charge per hourly rates. I think some companies that send beauticians out do this. Also make check lists and note all the items that you need to do a treatment - forgetting stuff looks unprofessional. Keep to set hours otherwise your home life will suffer. The other trap I fell into was that clients often became friends and it is easy to forget that you are in business to earn a living!!! :)

:)

THANK YOU!! lots of sound advice there, feel more confident now and will sit down do my research and look at prices, also I was thinking of stating travelling radius to clients if out of my zone I charge a little extra to come out to them, is this a good idea otherwise my petrol will eat away at my profits?:irked:

I do think thought that clients expect cheap treatements because you use their house, but some how they need to understand the petrol and time to travel to them is not cheaper for me in some situations but maybe its not their problem?? Anyway to put it too clients (in a nice way) that when Im there at 7 pm I cant be waiting for them to put tea in the oven?? maybe say to them to be stripped ready in their dressing gown for 7 pm and i have another client and will have to leave at x time up front so they know to be ready, what do you think??:!:

cheers everyone:)

nenee

remember to register with the inland revenue - you need to do this within 3 months of starting or you will be fined £100. Also get your direct debit set up for your national insurance contributions (class 2) and put some money aside for your tax bill and class 4 national insurance if you have to pay it. I went on a free course about becoming self employed, run by HMRC. Also contact your local business link as they can help you with tax returns ect, and how to pay.

best of luck xx

Hi there, I have a baby and a five-year-old and find that being mobile is perfect for fitting in around them. My husband looks after them on an evening while I work, usually from around 5-9.30pm. I like the fact I can take and pick my eldest up from school and look after my baby myself in the day.

I have built up a lovely loyal client base over the past three years. It has been very hard work what with everything else but it is a very rewarding job. I agree with the comments about not selling yourself too cheap ... it is a very bespoke service and one that should be priced accordingly, which I'm sure you will!

Leaflets have worked best for me. Advertising has been pretty useless, although the odd local publication quite useful and cheap. I get a bit through a free line listing on yell.com. Word of mouth followed the leaflets and it's grown from there. I'm out every night and Sat afternoons now.

The services you mention sound like things people need on a regular basis so that's great, you'll be able to keep booking them in hopefully!

Best of luck with it all, hope that's of some help x

Make sure that the client understands that if she does other things while you are there she is cutting into her treatment time. You have to make them understand that you have a business to run and that you are not at their beck and call and have oodles of time to waste.

Also, if an area looks really dodgy dont go there, make an excuse, its not worth your car being broken into or putting yourself in danger.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back