Any advice welcome

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elle B

Reaction score
Dear All, I'm new to this (so bear with me if I make any mistakes!).

I have seriously been considering going into beauty therapy and would like to eventually make a career out of it, hopefully own my own salon one day, but I know that I'll have to put in years and get some good experience behind me. As a newbie, what would be the best foundation course(s) to go on, and would it be better to get the quals and aim to work from home first, or aim to get some experience in a salon after I have finished studying? I have seen an NVQ Level 2 in a nearby college, would this and then the Level 3 be the best way to go? Any help/honest advice very welcome! x :rolleyes: Thanks

Hi Elle,
welcome to Geek!
Yes, i think that this subject has been discussed before and the consensus was to do your level 2 at college.

Yes, level 2 and then level 3 are definately the best way to go. Don't try to save time by enrolled on courses that promise full qualification in only 2 weeks or whatever, there are rarely worth it.

Get in touch with your local college and see what they have to offer.

Good luck:hug:

i agree do your level 2 then level 3 (one year for each course) a lot of hard work but worth it .

jane x

Hi Does anyone know if one can do Part time NVQ at college (pref evening classes)? A friend of mine is interested but she needs to work still. Had anyone done one or anything similar? Sorry to hijack thread!
Lx

Hi Does anyone know if one can do Part time NVQ at college (pref evening classes)? A friend of mine is interested but she needs to work still. Had anyone done one or anything similar? Sorry to hijack thread!
Lx

That would depend on her local college and what they offer. I was lucky and have been able to do both level 2 and 3 during the evenings.

Hello and welcome to the site Elle :)
I have just completed my Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and am going on to do Level 3 next year,
I would definately recommend it as the way to go.
Good Luck

That would depend on her local college and what they offer. I was lucky and have been able to do both level 2 and 3 during the evenings.
I am thinking of doing this, is it really hard going and how long does it take because it is just evenings?

I did my level 2 part time just 1 day a week a day, but I did have the option to do it on 2 evenings a week too so I guess it depends on the college.

I am doing level 3 in sept, 2 days a week:)

good luck in whatever you decide to do:)

Hi ya, i would definatley say up to NVQ 3 at college but also trying to
get as much salon experiance as you can during your course aswell, Even if it meens working for free for a couple of hours a week. I did that and felt alot more confidant when i was trained and also got loads of knowledge from people i worked with and also landed a job.
Hope this helps!
:lol:

Latest posts

Back