Any salon owners/chair or room renters from Central Scotland? Help please :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm opening up a salon next week in Stirling and I have a large room to rent, for a beautician or massage therapist or alike. My question is, how much is a reasonable amount to charge? I thought £150 a week because the room is HUUUGGGEEE and that rent would include rates, gas and electricity, as well as the security of being in a shop and its all newly decorated and new floors have just been put down. I think its about 6m x 4.5m at least in size. I originally posted this but from looking through, it seems everyones rent varies hugely as to where they are based, so I thought if I appealed to local people they may be able to help!

Also, because I'm just starting up, I'm looking to build up my clientele, along with making money!! Would i be better off renting out a chair to someone who has an existing clientele to generate money into the salon, or just concentrate on filling my own diary with clients? My worst fear is having a salon with two stylists who neither of them have any clients, and then if someone walks in wanting their hair cut, we'd be fighting over what gets to do it!!
And also, what is reasonable to charge for a chair and what is generally included in that rent?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberley xx

i cant stand chair rental, its the erosion of all salons, why should you give a person the chance to operate in a nice new salon with all the hassle taken out of it for them while they make 800 a week clear and you get a poxy 150 ? the whole point of having a salon is to give clients the oportunity of enjoying the service and ambience of the salon experience that you have created, its not just all about the hair service its about the experience from the minute they get near the door of the salon.

create a salon with your own team with an overall vision in mind, chair renters are mercenarys in my experience, would you not rather have your own team ? as opposed to people in your salon who are only there because of your chair ?

also what is guaranteed to happen is that one day you get a walkin and your busy ! guess who gets the client ? so not only are you giving them a chair they are also able to take advantage of your costly marketing and all sorts, i wouldnt do it again !

and whats more dont you think that chair renters should be doing mobile ? salons should be places for aspiring pro's and new starts not a haven for stylist who want to have their cake and eat it, they cant have it all ways, a good employee should make you 200 to 500 a week and be part of your team, think about it.

What I meant was, because I was just starting up, if I took someone on who had existing clients who may follow them, it would guarantee income for the salon as well as making the place look busier. I think chair renting is a good idea for someone who is taking a step towards having their own responsibilities, owning a salon isn't for everyone. I'm just in a quandry because I'm juststarting up, I'm torn between whether to really concentrate on getting my junior trained up or take someone else on straight away. But I guess I will just keep an eye on things over the first few months then see how things are going. Thanks for your help x

here is another quick one to get you going, sometimes its a good idea to get a stylist who says they have a clientelle, and take them on , with the agreement that you will pay them x amount of money but if what they bring in is less than that then they get the lesser of the 2. Based on her saying that she can bring clients no probs then it allows you to be in a bargaining position, you are always gona get people who say they can bring clients so make a deal based on their promises. also give them a 3 mnth trial.

thats a good idea. ive only ever worked in salon where the stylists are employees, i used to be employed with a basic wage and then commission on top, im just trying to work out what would work best, long term as well as short term. :) thanks

Kimberely

Reference renting out the room Im in Central Scotland and a person from business enterpride just the other day said the normal rate for renting a room in a salon as a beautician would be £100-£150 per week -hope that helps :)

Thanks very much for that. Had someone on the phone todayasking and i said £150 and they seemed pretty happy with that. I've probably met you at something if you've gone to business enterprise recently :lol:

Latest posts

Back