Apex nightmares

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat Tov

Reaction score
Hi girls, I was just wondering if you could shed some light on how to create the perfect 'apex'. I'm learning gel at the moment and my apex to me seems to be rather flat looking. I don't want to go over board and use too much gel to build the apex and then have thick ugly nails. Can anyone advise a technique? Advise greatly appreciated.

Nat Tov :o)

what gel are you using Nat?

Clare

Hi Claire. I'm currently using ego gel. I'm not sure though if I'll stick with this product when I'm done. Would love some advise on best gel product as well if you have one you could recommend? Thought Bio Sculpture was a good quality gel and cures very quickly. 2 mins. Need to resolve my apex issue first.:( I find it so frushtrating coz I wanna do great nails and to others they still look good but I know there flat and want to over come this look.

Nat

hiya, some gels are so runny its read hard to build a apex, is your gel a soak off one ...as these seem to be alot thinner than a builder gel that has to be buffed off.

Basically you can choose 2 different types of gel, a thin "soft" gel i.e. Calgel and Biosculpture but IMO these are not good to sculpt with and you may have difficulty forming your apexes. The other type is a builder or "hard" gel i.e LCN, EZFlow Gel It, Brisa, IBD, Akzentz, with these gels you are able to sculpt and form apexes quickly and easily whereas the thinner gels are more suited to natural nail overlays.
Your current gel maybe the thinner paint on style in which case you wont get as good an apex.
Can you talk me through your gel application?

Clare x

Ego gel is a buff off gel. it seems quite thick in consistency though. After I prep I apply 1 thin coat over the whole nail. I cure it for 6 minutes (such a long process) I then apply my 2nd bead, slightly larger to zone 2 and tease it down the middle gently, to the left and then the right. Cure for 4 minutes (that's already 10 minutes curing alone!) I then check for bubbles or anything I don't like and if all ok I apply my final 3rd layer thinly. If not I wipe with finish and gently using a fine file, remove bubbles, sanitize and apply 3rd layer. Do you think my 2nd bead of gel is too small?

thats an awful long cure time? is that right??2nd bead could be too small does it initially create an apex then 'slump' or dont you even get any apexto start with? If you dont get an apex to begin with try a bigger bead.

Try doing 2 fingers at a time.

Trial and error really - and you cant go wrong with gel because nothing cures till you put it in the lamp.

It does see to have an terribly long cure time though.

Most are 2 mins.

AMb x

That is along time for curing...it wouldnt take that long to apply the gel to the other hand so then you'll be waiting for the cure to finish. I have never heard of the gel you are using so sorry i can't really advise.

I agree with Amber though, you could try freeze curing 2 fingers at a time to set the apex while you work on the others...xx

i read an article somehwere that told you to apply the gel then turn the hand upside down ie palm upwards.............the TAP the finger pads......then cure!!

didnt work for me - but you could try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ambxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks girls for the tips.:) Your all so right it is such a long cure time (and don't I know it!) but thats what it says. I'll definately be changing. Like to try Bio Sculpture but not sure if can purchase with out being trained by them? I will try your suggestion of 2 fingers and even turning palms etc... I'll try everything to better them. Thanks everso much everyone :Love:

Nat

When I do my own nails I turn my finger upside down watch the shape form and cure. This really can only be achieved though if you have placed your product in the correct place though - once I've applied my 2nd ball I cross the nail with a thin layer/drip of gel across zone 2 and from cuticle to free edge

If your using the bead and flick out method you should have most of the product in the stress area so you have the shape so it sounds like you are letting it slump as someone said or maybe your pushing too much out.
I'd recommend that you apply your base in the usual method but freeze every finger for ten seconds then cure for x time at once ,file and finish.

Your curing times do sound a little suspicious though - are you using a 6 watt lamp (a small one) and doubling up the times?

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try all suggestions and increase my bead size. My lamp was from Star nails bought for their L&P course in ultra light acrylic. I think it was a 9watt, cost me £99.00 so it had better be a good one. Open for any recommendations on GOOD, quick curing gel.....:)

I think you will find the Star Nails gel lamp is actually a 6 watt bulb. I have just got rid of mine and replaced it with a 4 x 9 watt lamp.

It wasn't a Star nails gel lamp, Sorry. I got the lamp when I did my L&P course in Ultra light acrylic. You can use the same lamp can you?

hi

when i use gel and it looks like its going flat before i put it under the lamp (as i use uv gel) i turn the hand upside down so the gel goes to a center point, i only hold it upside down for a few seconde but this works great and i dont have to keep piling on the gel i almost get a perfect apex every time
hope this helps

Latest posts

Back