Are employees entitled to use holidays to cover sick days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbert

Reaction score
As my employee is only part time she cannot claim sick pay because her shifts don't run consecutively therefore will not be off that 4 day consecutive period.
She has asked to use her holidays instead as she feels she is entitled to do that? She actually hasn't accrued enough yet due to having some previous holidays. I have said that she can't just use holidays at short notice but this has now upset her thinking I don't understand "how poorly she has been"not be unable to work. That isn't true - I want her to be well so she can come to work lol!
Seriously I do care and have always genuinely been in touch to see how she's been as she had to go to hospital a couple of weeks ago, but I also have to look at this as my business where I am loosing money if I don't have a therapist there. So to ask for holiday pay so she isn't at a loss I don't think is right - personally.
How do you deal with these situations?
Many thanks

It doesn't matter if her working days are consecutive, aslong as she's been sick 4 days in a row.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410385870.490273.jpg

You can go to gov.uk and use the calculator for ssp.

Ssp can no longer be recovered aswell. So you have to pay ssp out of your own pocket.

My staff often ask to use holiday pay for sick days, but make sure it is recorded as sick days etc

:)

If they ask I let them aswell. I haven't really had to deal with staff illness much maybe the odd day over the last 3.5 years.

:)

Latest posts

Back