Arguing with my sister over botox

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waxed

Reaction score
Hi guys i'm speaking to my sister who lives in the uk and she says if you are level 3 beauty therapist you can train to administer botox.

As far as I was aware you have to have a medical qualifications apparently my sister has botox done by a beauty therapist who doesn't seem to have any medical training

I am so confused

Thanks

Angela

Your sister is running a big risk with the person injecting her and is completely wrong about her info,
which was probably fed to her by the person injecting the botox,
you are right, only a nurse, doctor or dentist can train to administer botox and as far as im aware a nurse has to have a doctor do the consult and fill out the prescription for the botox.
hth :hug:

Your sister is correct Angela. Most training companies require you to have a medical background, however, there is at least one where they will take you if you are a beauty therapist.

From what I hear, the training is excellent, but the catch is that you can then only purchase the Botox (or whatever brand they use) and fillers from them and I'm told that it's mega expensive. :hug:

Your sister is correct Angela. Most training companies require you to have a medical background, however, there is at least one where they will take you if you are a beauty therapist.

From what I hear, the training is excellent, but the catch is that you can then only purchase the Botox (or whatever brand they use) and fillers from them and I'm told that it's mega expensive. :hug:

I am really shocked :eek: are they in the uk ??? xx

Good God, I'm horrified :eek:

I always thought you had to be medically trained to administer botox - there is no way I'd have anyone injecting me who wasn't!

Beauty therapists can be trained in it by pacific companies , there isn't very many and insurance is very hard to obtain and it can prove very difficult to get hold of equipment/tools needed if you are not a medical professional xxx

I am truly shocked

xx

In February, at the Professional Beauty show in London, a company called Skintechniques were advertising dermal filler courses for beauty therapists.
The company's website boasts that they offer "the only insured beauty therapist course for injecting dermal filler" and explains that the course is a "one-on-one training day for beauty therapists NVQ level 3 or equivalent with a leading facial aesthetician for hyaluronic injections".
Industry insiders claim the course involves at best half a day of training, with the main focus on how to market your salon or spa.
Moreover, the "leading facial aesthetician" is James McGrath, a former mental health nurse who in 1998 set up Collagenics, a non-surgical beauty clinic, after practising Botox techniques on his wife Stephanie in their kitchen.
The McGraths have since separated and Collagenics is at pains to point out they are not affiliated with nor do they condone the work of Skintech-niques.
McGrath's one-day training costs £2,500 plus VAT, of which £500 goes towards the beautician's annual insurance, which gives them £ 1/2 million worth of medical indemnity insurance.
So, should the girl who does your nails decide she wants a bit of extra cash, there's nothing to stop her signing up for a course on Tuesday and injecting you with a filler on Wednesday.
And because dermal fillers are not considered drugs, they're not even subject to the, albeit rather woolly, legislation that governs Botox.
Essentially what McGrath is doing may be unethical, but it is legal.
It goes without saying that the more responsible side of the aesthetic beauty industry is horrified by this.
In May, the British Association of Cosmetic Doctors (BACD) urged beauty therapists to beware of such courses.
It believes they exploit beauticians who may be unaware of the risks involved in injecting dermal fillers without medical knowledge.
"Dermal fillers are perfectly safe when administered by a qualified doctor with an in-depth understanding of facial anatomy," says BACD chairman, John Curran.
"But it is not adequate to blindly stick a needle in someone's face with scant knowledge of the potential risks that can include facial necrosis or disfigurement.
"If dermal fillers are administered in a spa or hairdressing salon without medical supervision, how is a beauty therapist to deal with complications such as anaphylactic shock [an extreme and life-threatening allergic reaction], without resuscitation equipment?
"We must protect therapists and the public from this alarming development."
Backing his comments are the results of a BACD survey, which found that more than half of their 250-plus members have treated patients who had experienced complications at the hands of inexperienced or incompetent therapists.
Some will argue that as the effects of Botox and fillers are only short-term, however badly they are injected, any problems will be reversed in a few months. Not so, claim experts.
"For a start, however small the risk, you've got to bear in mind that whatever happens, it's on your face," says Rajiv Grover, a Harley Street plastic surgeon, who has had to treat a number of patients who have suffered at the hands of rogue practitioners.
"You can't just put a jumper on and cover it up, so what are you going to do? Not go out for four months?"
Andrew Vallance-Owen, Bupa medical director and chairman of the working group on cosmetic surgery established to implement self-regulation of the clinics, warns there are real dangers.
"With a semi-permanent filler, the results aren't simply going to be reversed in a couple of months.
"Furthermore, if injections are being administered in beauty parlours, there's also the health and safety aspect to consider when it comes to how hygienic and sterile the environment is.
"Though there's a possibility that injecting into the wrong place could damage a nerve, the biggest problems arise from infection.
"If the injected area becomes infected that can lead to abscesses which can result in permanent scarring.
"They might not be life-threatening, but they could be problems for life."

NO WAY would I go to a beauty therapist......I know for a fact this is wrong.

I watched the program on Thursday night about Eternal Youth with Coleen Nolan and I'm sure on the program there was a Beauty Therapist that injected fillers and botox, in fact it showed her doing it! now unless I misunderstood and she was medically qualified but I'm sure coleen said she was a beauty therapist. Its scary isnt it.

anne xx

there are two beauty therapists by me that administer botox and fillers!!!!

NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH would I allow my clients to be subject to someone administering botox or fillers who wasn't medically trained. Surely they have to be nurses or doctors and be regisitered with the nursing council or something.

I think its disgusting personally

I watched a documentary with Lesley Ash a while ago where a company would train Beauty therapists to administer Botox, I wonder if thats the same company Kim mentioned.

I watched the program on Thursday night about Eternal Youth with Coleen Nolan and I'm sure on the program there was a Beauty Therapist that injected fillers and botox, in fact it showed her doing it! now unless I misunderstood and she was medically qualified but I'm sure coleen said she was a beauty therapist. Its scary isnt it.

anne xx

I also watched this and from what was said, it appeared that the blonde woman was a Beauty Therapist and injecting Botox and fillers - made me feel sick when she injected her own face YUCK!

and on the documentary with Leslie Ash a while back, she investigated the places that train Beauty Therapists to inject Botox and fillers etc.

This is the thread about leslie ash program and it raises some good points

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/80608-leslie-ash.html

But to be honest - just because someone is medically trained - doesn't make them 'better' or more knowledgable than a beauty therapist.

Take electrolysis, IPL, bio skin jetting or permanent make-up - would you only go to a medically trained person for these invasive - potentially scarring treatments? Why not? surely a beauty therapist is not medically qualified to carry out these treatments - reguardless of the fact they should/would have extensive knowledge of the skin, muscles, hormone system, nervous system and above all - a high level of skill. A medical professional may not fully be trained in the above, like a nurse (I have had rough nurses bruise me to bits for blood taking) .

I think everyone should meet a criteria - to carry out these treatments medical or not. If you don't meet it - you can't do it.

xx

hi, I'm a hair geek so sorry to butt in on the topic :hug:,I noticed the other day a local hairdressers (diferent to one that I work in) are offering botex and teeth whitening for £99 :eek: ok I admit I havent phoned and enquired about it but in my opinion I wouldnt dream of having my chompers whitened or my face injected with botox unless it was with people that were fully qualified , I mean at the end of the day you wouldnt phone the gas board if there was something wrong with ur electrics unless im wrong lol .

I actually think that with full and proper training, I would prefer a beauty therapist as they have more of an aesthetic eye. I wouldn't want a dentist to do it.

I've seen plenty of bad Botox and Filler jobs by docs, so just becasue they are qualified, doesn't make them good.

I used to work in a salon where the Botox doctor used to be out of the door and in his car, before his last client had put her coat on. Only in it for the money so don't kid yourselves otherwise.xxx

Last edited:
You let beauticians do electrolysis. Now that's sticking needles into the skin and zapping the hair follicle.
I've seen many threads on here about how much training beauty therapists do and they don't want people to think it's a bimbos job when they have to learn so much. They need to do a&p and years of training. Surely if they have the training and it's extensive training then i can't see the problem.
A doctor nearly cost my sister her life and there's no way i would let him inject me with anything!
My dentist broke my teeth while doing root canal work.
Just cos someone has letters after their name doesn't mean they are the most qualified to do the job.

Hi everyone, have to butt in here.

It is illegal for anyone without medical qualification to administer Botox (regardless of what salons say/do) - they would not have a leg to stand on legally in case of complications. Botox is a prescription only medicine. I have been administering Botox and fillers for years. As a nurse prescriber I do not need a doctor present. However, and I mean no disrespect to beauty therapists - you do need medical knowledge and qualifications to administer fillers. It is intepreting what action if there were any complications. You should not administer fillers if you are not qualified to manage any complications! There is a comprehensive medical history which needs to be assessed prior to these procedures. It is not the case of sticking a few needles into someones face - or having a good eye for aesthetics!

All of us in the industry are aware of this nurse who passes himself off to offer training to beauty therapists. His is under investigation by relevant authorities and there is not one single medic in this profession who has any respect for him. His training is wholly inadequate!

The fillers which he uses are also inferior quality, because respectable companies such as Q-Med (Restylane) will not supply to him or beauty therapists. Reputable insurance companies will not insure anyone without medical qualifications to carry out these procedures.

I cannot emphasise enough the importance of having any of these treatments performed by a medically qualified practitioner. These products must be respected and treated as a medical procedure. We do not treat Clients. We treat 'patients'.

Hi Botox is a prescription drug therefore by law should only be adminstered by a doctor in the first instance - even though nurses are currently "getting" away with it it MUST be prescribed and certainly should not be administered by a non medical proffessional BEWARE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back