Asthma as a Contra-Indication in a Massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Looking for your thoughts on this. ...

I'm currently doing a massage course and was a bit shocked to find out today that regardless of the severity of an individulals Asthma symptoms, it is a complete Contra-Indication to perform a massage without a GPs note.

Considering the amount of Asthmatics out there, I would expect an awful lot of them to be turned away as a result of this! When I asked does it depend on how serious they state it to be, I was told to cover yourselves for Insurance purposes etc a note must be obtained.

Now, I have very very mild asthma, the sort that only gets bad with a cold / cough, so would be very annoyed to be told to do this just for a massage. I expect GPs would get extrememly fed up with doing this too.

Any thoughts?

L-J x

thats a new one tbh Lucy-Jayne.

I mark down if someone is asthmatic and how severe it is, but in my mind massage is a relaxer so that must help, also some essential oils are particularly good for asthma.

at the end of the day, you have to go with what you are being taught on the course, but once you are qualified, you could check with your insurer what their pov is on it.

I make my own consulation cards, but even ready made ones (the ones I've seen that is) haven't got that down as a contra-indication.

You know hun, its probably best to check your own insurance and see what they say.

I've been told so many 'rules' by trainers that when it comes down to it, are from the trainers own insurance company!

I figure, it's mine that govern what I do....not theirs!

PS That said , I don't do massage so this may be standard and I'm just being blase!

Well if asthma is a contra-indication then that must mean I can't perform it!!:eek: I have moderate asthma and have had no problems even with aromatherapy oils. What was the reason given?

:hug:iv had ashma since i was born and never had a problem when having a massage. if any it has improved my breathing iv had masssage with a machine as well as manuall:hug:it as never affected my ashma in a bad way:hug:

I've never come across this as a contra-indication for massage. The only time I wouldn't massage an asthmatic is if they had an allergy to the massage mediums I have or it was uncontrolled.

First I've heard of this too. I still have all my manuals from when I studied and asthmas not listed in it as a contra-indication (thought I'd better check in case I'd not realised it was).
Maybe it's something they've just come up with as a 'just-in-case' thing.

I was also told this on my massage course. We were told it's because massage can have an effect on the respiratory system.

Remember anatomy & physiology, the cardiovascular system is linked to the respiratory system, the heart pumps the blood around and returns de-oxygenated blood to the lungs for oxygenisation.

So anything that effects the heart and cardio system will also effect the respiratory system. It isn't possible to predict the outcome of this effect on an asthmatic client.

In college we have to learn all these possible contra's, then as therapists we can make our own informed decisions as to whether to carry out the treatment.

BTW, I'm only referring to situations when it is not a definite contra to the treatment, but may require the treatment to be modified. I'm not suggesting anyone to start ignoring what we were taught about contras.

As a few of the previous replys stated, they have never heard of this as a contra to massage, and obviously haven't had any adverse reactions when performing massage.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I guess nowadays we live in a society where people get sued for anything and everything. I can see how the college's are covering themselves, and today for the second part of the course I just nodded!

I'd like to think also that a client would be in the know as to how something like that might affect them. If I was refused a massage I'd be shocked. Mainly because they would be going so completely over the top for something that only affects me when I try and run a marathon or have a cold!

I am worried about it though, because obviously I want to be cautious and do my job properly. Might phone my local Ashtma nurse and see what they think.

Thanks again xxx

Latest posts

Back