Attaching fresh flowers into an up-do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPerm

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I’ve agreed to do an up-do for my friend’s daughter next week for an event and will need to incorporate some fresh flowers, probably gypsophila (baby’s breath). It’s a Greek theme so I’m planning to do a halo Dutch braid and friend is supplying flowers so that’s why I’m not 100% sure what they’ll be.

I know you can use florist wire on larger flowers but with them being tiny, I’m not sure if that’s the best option to ensure they’ll last a few hours?
What’s the best way to attach the flowers? Any tips or tricks?

Hi AcidPerm, with the Gyp (Baby's Breath) break off
small pieces, several stems and pinch together. Take your florist wire and cut a piece approx 4". Holding your pinched Gyp one hand, take wire and place it at the bottom of your stem length going upwards not down. Now bend the wire downwards so that you have a hook. Hold this tightly both sides of wire hook an wind longer piece around the top of the hook incorporating hook and stems. Keep winding tightly till at bottom of stems. Can use florist tape to cover your wire, can get light green. Take a piece of tape say 4" again, now cut this strip lengthways in half. This makes it less bulky. Pull tape slightly as winding around wire at a diagonal angle as this helps to keep it thinner. Fix in hair with bent hairpins or whatever you prefer. Hope you can understand my directions, quite hard to explain in steps. I'm a qualified florist as well as Hairdresser. Hth.

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply. It was exactly what I needed to know. :)

I’ve agreed to do an up-do for my friend’s daughter next week for an event and will need to incorporate some fresh flowers, probably gypsophila (baby’s breath). It’s a Greek theme so I’m planning to do a halo Dutch braid and friend is supplying flowers so that’s why I’m not 100% sure what they’ll be.

I know you can use florist wire on larger flowers but with them being tiny, I’m not sure if that’s the best option to ensure they’ll last a few hours?
What’s the best way to attach the flowers? Any tips or tricks?
Not sure if the event has passed. But may be useful for the future. If you can't access floristry wire, then I always use these waved grips. Some brands are thinner than others (thinner the better) I usually cut the jip so that you have a v shaped stem (usually 2-3heads) slip your waved grip straight through the V shaped stem. Then bend the ends of the grip up, like a anchor and then push your grip in to place in the hair. Bending the ends like an anchor will stop the pins from popping out and holds the jip secure.
Wire works just as good, as @janie6777 suggests above. Sometimes it's nice to have another option. Hope it goes /went well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180807-205514.png
    Screenshot_20180807-205514.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back