Awkward Bartering situation with client/friend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
I realise the title doesn't explain what this is really about but its difficult to create a title that does!
My husband has a customer (hes a joiner/furniture maker), she goes to our Church and is a bit of a pain in the neck. Anyway, we called by their house for my husband to check some measurements and she was actually ok, quite loud, not really my kind of person but generously gave me some school trousers and pe t-shirts to fit my son.
When back home I thought of a plan, as she is such a 'chatty' woman she would be a good advertiser if I offered her a free haircut as she gave me the clothes ( which would have cost £30 and were brilliant condition).
This was all good, she likes to barter BUT then she text asking if I would put her colour on instead - I imagined a box semi that she was used to using and said ok, Well - its actually a colour that apparently gives three different colours. This is going to take me at least 2-3 hours I reckon and then will probably be rubbish as its a home dye. I'm going to say no because I can't guarantee the result but I want to keep her happy as she really would advertise me well.
am I just being a wimp?? do I say 'Oi, I offered a haircut not a mornings treatment free!'
I don't even give my best friends discount at the moment as I'm so skint and I'm still cheaper than their previous salon - I wish I'd kept my mouth shut, I hate confrontation:cry:

hi penners..i find myself getting into situations like these too :irked:
Id ask for more info on the colour she mentioned, if its designed for home application then id hope that it would be a simple process. The most i would do would be cut her hair then apply the colour and leave her to wash it off herself, saving you blowdrying and styling time too. If it is a lengthy application process then i would advise her that your not comfortable applying the product so she'll need to buy a colour service off you using the products your familiar with, maybe you could give this slightly discounted...after all if your hoping for her to recommend you then you want a good result :D xx

Can you text her back and say that you are more than happy to do the cut as offfered but it is your policy to never put on home colours or client's own colour even if it is in a professional package.

Should she ask you why your policy is so, tell her you had a bad experience and learned your lesson. the hard way

Advise her that you will happily discuss professional colouring and will give her a 5 or 10% discount should she wish to go ahead.

Good luck

Jacqui xx

Thanks for your advise, I emailed her my explaination saying I wasn't prepared to use her box dye as from experience they are always disappointing, I then gave her a link to my website re: prices and expalined I only use the best colours ( shes into marketing and business so I explained that as a mobile I don't make much money on colours, for the amount of time taken less ever increasing wholesale prices/fuel) and I offered her the original promised haircut + 10% off colour if she wants. quite generous of me I feel.
she hasn't replied?! I have just sent a text letting her know i've sent an email and asking her to get back to me as I need to sort my diary out for the week.
To be honest I'm not bothered, shes not a close friend and she is very pushy. I'm applying for jobs at the moment anyway as our financial instability is extreme at the moment with both of us self-employed. I've loved coming back to hairdressing generally but get quite annoyed when people think that hairdressers 'make a killing' . yes if you can squash clients in back to back within a 2 mile radius, but it ain't happening here!:sad:

Tell her, that you are running a business, not a charity and they can take their bartering skills to the local flea market on a weekend.

I would not have taken second hand clothing for my children unless I was desperate for them, even if you are desperate, company's like poundstretcher do school uniforms for very little money indeed.

I would of said I only use my own professional colours due to insurance reasons and I was happy to colour her hair (at my normal prices) and discount the haircut from the price!
Unfortunately people forget you have to buy products, petrol, insurance etc plus still earn some money for your time.
I find these type of people are not worth having as clients...

she has contacted me and i'm just cutting her hair tomorrow, no colour mentioned, result I say!:D

As for second hand clothes, my children live in them and I'm not too proud to accept barely worn, good quality school uniform that fits my 12 year old son. The T-shirt has to have the school logo on so costs £12 incidently you can't buy these from poundstretcher, and when I last checked you can't get many sizes abouve about age 10 at any of the cheaper shops and the supermarkets were all sold out. My daughter lives in her cousins Boden castoff's and loves opening another bag of clothes. Its not dirty or wrong to wear second hand clothes, give them a good wash and they belong to you, stay in any flash Hotel and believe it or not - someone else has slept on that bed and between those sheets!

she has contacted me and i'm just cutting her hair tomorrow, no colour mentioned, result I say!:D

As for second hand clothes, my children live in them and I'm not too proud to accept barely worn, good quality school uniform that fits my 12 year old son. The T-shirt has to have the school logo on so costs £12 incidently you can't buy these from poundstretcher, and when I last checked you can't get many sizes abouve about age 10 at any of the cheaper shops and the supermarkets were all sold out. My daughter lives in her cousins Boden castoff's and loves opening another bag of clothes. Its not dirty or wrong to wear second hand clothes, give them a good wash and they belong to you, stay in any flash Hotel and believe it or not - someone else has slept on that bed and between those sheets!

I agree that is a result .. well done!!

Jacqui xx

Free haircut given,
half a day's canoeing on the river offered in return for the next haircut,
I think its all ok, half an hour haircut from me, compared with a whole afternoons canoeing for the family, I think we're getting the better deal here!! and it was agreed that box dyes are not a good idea( she took it back and got a refund).
alls well that ends well eh? (well this time anyway:green:)

Latest posts

Back