Backfils...confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
This is something i have always found confusing, ill try to explain. We recommend that our clients comeback every 2-3 weeks for infils, right. But, i am constantly reading that backfils, replacing the white or whatever you want to call it should be done every 3-4 weeks.

I know by the nails i do, after 2 weeks i need to redo my whites as the natural smile starts to appear, so in effect doing a rebalance. There is no way that i could leave it 3 or 4 weeks b 4 doing this. i just want a little clarification on this. am i doing more work than i should be?

I'm doing a skillbuilding on Friday so will ask there also, but wanted to hear what you guy's thought or do...:| do some geeks leave for this long before adjusting there whites?

Confused.......

I do a re-balance rather than infill. I find my clients need the apex and white rebalanced after 2/3 weeks too. Infill to me is just filing and replacing zone 3.
KxXx

Yes thats exactly what i was gettting at. i have read on other geeks price lists that they infils 2-3 weeks and rebalance every 4weeks as the prices are different.

I need to rebalance at every 2-3 weeks, more re adjusting the white than anything else., but if i need to balance i do. I dont understand how tech's have differnet prices for these as i do a rebalnce every appointment.

All this came about through reading other Geeks price lists...:|

all the different terminology we use can be a bit confusing. if your creative trained im sure a refill or infill, is called a rebalance, as this requires more than 'just a fill' in zone 3, it involves re adjusting the apex etc. then for pw rebalance or backfill, creative calls this forever french rebalance? as i have done training with a few different companies i tend to stick to what i first learnt years ago with creative in oz- refill, or rebalance, for renewal of the smile. refills i do 2-3 weeks, alternating with a rebalance( 4-6 weeks). i try to have my smile positioned so the natural nail isnt showing through till about 3-4 weeks, as i charge more for a rebalance, clients appreciate this. an opaque polish works well to get them through to their next rebalnce at their refill appointment if they are a two weekly client. i dont find the need normally to do anything other than a normal refill until thier rebalance appointment, thats when i do all my adjusting, which i charge more for as its all extra time and product.hope this makes sense, was confusing me writing this!:Look_left

Hi.
When I do the 'French' I place the white slightly above the natural smile line. So that it can last for the 3-4 week backfill. Hope it makes sence (it is still early for me :))

I always say this is the same as having a haircut. Do you have it trimmed regularly so that people hardly notice the difference when you've had it cut? Or do you go so long that it is virtually a restyle between appointments.

It's the same with my nail clients. Some can't stand the slightest bit of free edge showing through and hate the white being placed too low towards the cuticle to give them space to grow and come every 2 -3 weeks. And some come back after 4-5 weeks between visits with long talons that need a massive file down and a complete top up of white with a huge regrowth gap at the bottom!

It all depends on what the client wants at the end of the day.

If you place the white slightly deeper than it should be but still keep the balance right, 1/3 rd white and 2/3rd pink this all depends on the actual length of the nails of course but if they are a sensible length its fine, clients should be able to go 4 weeks or every other appointment befor re-balancing. If a client doesnt want a re-balance for whatever reason, time or money, painting on a very light polish, moonlight n roses or frivoulous or something similar hides the natural smile and looks really pretty.

Alternatively, the new custom colour blending is fantastic, you can place the white way below where it should be and the colour blended pink you mix for the client completely covers the natural smile, and the nails look more sleek and long.:wink2:

I think some get very 'anal' about seeing this tiny bit of regrowth at the free edge.It can so easily be disguised with a couple of coats of Beaux or Negligée or LightenUp which will allow the client to go for longer than just 3 weeks between French Rebalances.

All the other ideas put forward are excellent too ... placing the new smile line to allow for new growth, using custom colour blending ... Painting on More Than white and using Brisa Finishing gloss. There are so many quick ways.

I will not do a French rebalance with L&P at every maintenance appointment unless the client insists and then she has to pay extra for the time it takes.

I agree with you there Geeg, some clients don't mind a little free edge showing, where as others hate it.

I only tend to do a reballance every four to six weeks. All clients are different as people's nails grow at different rates. On my price list i tend to do a sliding scale for my appointments. If a client comes every 2 weeks then i charge XX for that and then if they leave it longer say three or four weeks, which would need alot more work i charge more for every week longer they leave it. This tends to stop people leaving it so long that a new set is needed for the price of an infill.

Hope this helps.

talented talons said:
I agree with you there Geeg, some clients don't mind a little free edge showing, where as others hate it.

I only tend to do a reballance every four to six weeks. All clients are different as people's nails grow at different rates. On my price list i tend to do a sliding scale for my appointments. If a client comes every 2 weeks then i charge XX for that and then if they leave it longer say three or four weeks, which would need alot more work i charge more for every week longer they leave it. This tends to stop people leaving it so long that a new set is needed for the price of an infill.

Hope this helps.

This is a smart thing to do and this is business-like. So many amateurs and even professionals sometimes seem to pluck their prices out of ----- --- (you fill it in).
I charge for the time taken on a job. I know exactly how much I need to make per minute to reach my weekly goal and this how I work out what I charge. If the job takes more time (say a French rebalance) , then the client has to pay more than for an ordinary rebalance. Of course I have a set price for these jobs because I know how long it takes me to do them.

I am obviously making too much work for myself at every appointment, as you all have pointed out. I am just one of those people that hate to see the free edge coming through and to be honest wouldn't be satisfied with covering with a polish.

The brisa POW could be an option for some clients but not all as not all have the bright white, some have glitter some have soft ya get the picture.

Nearly all of my clients have short nail beds, not all, but most of them and moving the white up to allow for a greater regrowth i don't think would look right. So is this where i need to learn how to custom blend to lengthen and therefore allowing for the extra regrowth? Iv'e tried using the flawlewss mixed with intense but need to do the class i think to fully understand the colour wheel.

So just to clarify, infils at 2-3 weeks and forever french rebalance 3-4 weeks or every other appointment? You see i am charging one standard price of £15 incl. 2 repairs. The going rate in my area is around £15-£20. Do i stick with this or increase. For a full set i charge £30 and it can take just as long to do a french rebalance.

Trying to get my business head on here.....
£15 for 2 week infils and £20 for FF rebalance.

I must be going seriously wrong somewhere because I tend to rebalance most of the time, only the odd client where I will alternate infill and rebalance. Most of my clients are pink and white and their nails have always grown enough (nat nail showing) for a rebalance after two/three weeks.....

Maybe I should place my white a wee bit lower than I am doing....I shall have a go at that and see what happens but if it's too low I think it doesn't look right!

Maybe I'm too fussy although if I restructure my price list as mentioned the problem may solve itself!

I'm finding the same as you Cathie. 2-3 weeks and the white is needing replaced. So would custom blending the original set help to disguise the regrowth underneath. But i can't custom blend...!!...lol

mamma said:
I'm finding the same as you Cathie. 2-3 weeks and the white is needing replaced. So would custom blending the original set help to disguise the regrowth underneath. But i can't custom blend...!!...lol

Yes, it would, but I imagine we'd have to use the same custom blend at every maintainance appointment....lets get our blending heads on lol.....and realistically this would have to be charged out at a higher price.

I think i am going wrong some how too. Im still learning about this infills and rebalance thing. At my new job i have been doing infills at zone 3 every two weeks then a rebalance replacing the whole nail two weeks after that. Does anyone else do this?

Latest posts

Back