Did I destroy my nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyka2023

Reaction score
Back in may of 2022 I discovered gel nail polish. I put on a coat of white gel polish, put under the lamp for 120 seconds then put on my color. When I want to remove polish I use an orange stick and peel off. I then use my drill and smooth out any peeling the nail may have OR sometimes I’d use 100% acetone in a plastic container I bought off Amazon. Leave my fingers soak for 15-20 minutes. I do this routine weekly.

About 6 months ago I added a primer and base coat before applying the first coat of white. About 3 months later my middle finger on my right hand started this cauliflower looking thing under my nail. Then about 3 weeks ago, all my fingers on both hands have this. Plus, all my nails look brownish.

I went to the Dr Friday ( 2 days ago) and he said it looks like either fungus infection or warts!! My heart dropped hearing the word warts!! He gave me an oral pill to take once a week for four weeks. He said if the medication doesn’t work, then it’s not fungal. And never answered me when I said “ how do we fix it if it’s warts?” After giving you an insight into my “ routine” do you think I’ve just destroyed my nails and I’m doomed? Does this look fungal? Warts? I’m afraid to start the meds if it’s NOT fungal.

I have no experience in doing nails, just winged it. All this time I thought the “ eponychium” ( I googled nail anatomy ) was my cuticle and would drill that away. So much so it was open. 3 weeks ago it got really red, a big lump around it and sore. On a few fingers. It’s healed now. But, for them being “ open” I had to be more susceptible to infection, so maybe it is fungal?

Also, the drill I bought I’ve had since may of 2022 and never changed the parts. I figured only I used it, so, it should be safe?

Boy, typing this all out I feel really stupid and embarrassed. Painting my nails calms me immensely. With everything it can take about 2-2.5 hrs and by the time I’m done I’m so calm, happy and relaxed for days ( why I did my nails weekly) That’s all I really thought about. Never if I’m doing it wrong.

I have not done anything to my nails in 3 weeks, just put sally hanson nail hardener on them so they don’t break while I’m taking a break.

I appreciate any help, making fun of me, yelling, ANYTHING you can give me. Truly, I appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 20230708_004752.jpeg
    20230708_004752.jpeg
    735.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_004733.jpeg
    20230708_004733.jpeg
    894.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_004655.jpeg
    20230708_004655.jpeg
    893.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_004604.jpeg
    20230708_004604.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_005016.jpeg
    20230708_005016.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 0
Ouch, they look sore and painful.

I'm going to be honest but not unkind I promise. In simple terms yes you've destroyed them BUT the good news is they should grow back in a better state if you stop exposing yourself to chemicals I believe (and I'm not a doctor) you have become allergic to.

From 20 years in the nail business the over grown hypernychium (under the nail) is classic allergy response not warts. I also do not believe this is fungal, you have over thinned the natural nail with the efile. This has caused the nails to lift away from the nail bed and the bruising which looks browny yellow.

Filing off the epinychium seal has opened your skin to the chemicals in the products you were using, touching skin with products is a cardinal sin in the nails world, and especially not on open or broken skin.

If you google for information on nail product allergic response, hema allergy and gel polish allergy you will see many examples very similar to your experiences.

The good news is you cam recover from the most of the damage but you'll have to stop doing your nails in the short term at least.

I'm going to make some assumptions for advice.

I'm assuming no current immedate allergy symptoms such as redness, itching or swelling. If so, then an antihistamine should help reduce these symptoms, take until under control.

I'm assuming you have only Sally Hanson on present- this is good but you need to extremely careful when removing to re-apply. Using an acetone free remover would be best, use the smallest amount on a pad so you can try as best as possible to only touch the nail and avoid the skin as much as you can.

File the nails as short as comfortable, with a manual file, no more e-filing for you. Not too short you expose the overgrown hypernychium, bit enough that the nails are supported as much as possible or they will start to peel off.

We cannot know what you are allergic to without extensive allergy testing which doctors are unlikely to order for the sake of nail problems, they'll tell you not to do your nails anymore.

You're going to have to mange this yourself. This will mean being vigilant about recognising the signs that the allergy is flaring again and immediately stopping whatever you're using.

You'll need a good quality cuticle oil to promote growth and nourish the surrounding skin and new nail growth. I recommend CND Solar Oil but there are others available. You need to watch for any type of reaction from whichever one you use.

You're in for the long haul, the immediate issues should resolve in a few weeks but getting your nails back to a better state long term will take months. Potentially you may never get them back to how they were due to the damaged skin and nail bed. We can't know.

Long term, whether you can use nail products again we cannot know, it will be up to you if you want to and you'll need to find an allergy free product that works for you.

Hope this helps, probably not what you want to hear but what you need to know

Ouch, they look sore and painful.

I'm going to be honest but not unkind I promise. In simple terms yes you've destroyed them BUT the good news is they should grow back in a better state if you stop exposing yourself to chemicals I believe (and I'm not a doctor) you have become allergic to.

From 20 years in the nail business the over grown hypernychium (under the nail) is classic allergy response not warts. I also do not believe this is fungal, you have over thinned the natural nail with the efile. This has caused the nails to lift away from the nail bed and the bruising which looks browny yellow.

Filing off the epinychium seal has opened your skin to the chemicals in the products you were using, touching skin with products is a cardinal sin in the nails world, and especially not on open or broken skin.

If you google for information on nail product allergic response, hema allergy and gel polish allergy you will see many examples very similar to your experiences.

The good news is you cam recover from the most of the damage but you'll have to stop doing your nails in the short term at least.

I'm going to make some assumptions for advice.

I'm assuming no current immedate allergy symptoms such as redness, itching or swelling. If so, then an antihistamine should help reduce these symptoms, take until under control.

I'm assuming you have only Sally Hanson on present- this is good but you need to extremely careful when removing to re-apply. Using an acetone free remover would be best, use the smallest amount on a pad so you can try as best as possible to only touch the nail and avoid the skin as much as you can.

File the nails as short as comfortable, with a manual file, no more e-filing for you. Not too short you expose the overgrown hypernychium, bit enough that the nails are supported as much as possible or they will start to peel off.

We cannot know what you are allergic to without extensive allergy testing which doctors are unlikely to order for the sake of nail problems, they'll tell you not to do your nails anymore.

You're going to have to mange this yourself. This will mean being vigilant about recognising the signs that the allergy is flaring again and immediately stopping whatever you're using.

You'll need a good quality cuticle oil to promote growth and nourish the surrounding skin and new nail growth. I recommend CND Solar Oil but there are others available. You need to watch for any type of reaction from whichever one you use.

You're in for the long haul, the immediate issues should resolve in a few weeks but getting your nails back to a better state long term will take months. Potentially you may never get them back to how they were due to the damaged skin and nail bed. We can't know.

Long term, whether you can use nail products again we cannot know, it will be up to you if you want to and you'll need to find an allergy free product that works for you.

Hope this helps, probably not what you want to hear but what you need to know
You have no idea how much I appreciate you. I’ve been nauseous and unable to sleep or eat since Friday. Thank you so much for replying, taking the time to explain and help me. Thank you. Thank you so unbelievably much.

I don’t feel any pain, redness, itching or swelling.

These are the only two types of polish that I use. If I was allergic to them wouldn’t I have noticed symptoms sooner than a year later?

This is the lamp I use. DC 24V

In April I bought this cuticle oil and used it about three times a week.

The last week I’ve been using it nightly on the entire nail, skin around and on the harden exposed hypernychium then putting on cotton gloves and going to bed.

Is this cuticle oil ok or should I buy the CND solar oil? Is applying at night with gloves and sleeping with it on ok?

Will the hypernychium ever return to normal again? If so, how long would that take? Can I do anything to speed that up?

My sister goes to the salon, I’d watch her get her nails done then hear the $75 bill. Not being able to afford it, I thought well, this looks easy enough and did it myself. Not thinking “ duh, there’s a reason they go to SCHOOL to learn this.” I absolutely understand and respect that now.
Thank you so much for not making me feel stupid. Thank you again, immensely for your help and time.

Attachments

• 20230710_112752.jpeg
    20230710_112752.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230710_112758.jpeg
    20230710_112758.jpeg
    963.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230710_112936.jpeg
    20230710_112936.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230710_113157.jpeg
    20230710_113157.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
As usual, Tiffany offers excellent advice. I'd add only a few things based on my own experience. By damaging the eponychium, overfilling the nail bed, and peeling off gel polish you have created a serious opportunity for infection, irritation, and allergy. Treat your nails gently and eliminate as many chemicals as you can. Keep nail treatments on your nails, and not on your skin! That is how allergies develop. Consider using CND RescuerXX. You have broken the the protective barrier on your nails, so keep them super clean. Wash your hands often with a gentle cleanser. I recommend applying tea tree oil a couple of times a day and before going to bed. Some people use it straight up, but it can be irritating to some, so dilute it with a carrier oil or mix it into your Solar Oil (I use Dadi Oil myself). You might also use a tea tree oil moisturizing cream ointment like Derma E or Desrt Essence. Be attentive to any signs of infection. A daily biotin supplement may be of use to you as your nails heal. It will take about 4-6 months for the nail to grow out completely.

Most important - toss all of your gel nail product and equipment and that e-file and resolve never to use them (or any professional products) until you have been properly trained.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much I appreciate you. I’ve been nauseous and unable to sleep or eat since Friday. Thank you so much for replying, taking the time to explain and help me. Thank you. Thank you so unbelievably much.

I don’t feel any pain, redness, itching or swelling.

These are the only two types of polish that I use. If I was allergic to them wouldn’t I have noticed symptoms sooner than a year later?

This is the lamp I use. DC 24V

In April I bought this cuticle oil and used it about three times a week.

The last week I’ve been using it nightly on the entire nail, skin around and on the harden exposed hypernychium then putting on cotton gloves and going to bed.

Is this cuticle oil ok or should I buy the CND solar oil? Is applying at night with gloves and sleeping with it on ok?

Will the hypernychium ever return to normal again? If so, how long would that take? Can I do anything to speed that up?

My sister goes to the salon, I’d watch her get her nails done then hear the $75 bill. Not being able to afford it, I thought well, this looks easy enough and did it myself. Not thinking “ duh, there’s a reason they go to SCHOOL to learn this.” I absolutely understand and respect that now.
Thank you so much for not making me feel stupid. Thank you again, immensely for your help and time.

I don't use Modelones but I stay informed about as many brands across our industry via social media. My concerns about brands such as these is that they are freely available to the general public via Amazon, Temu, eBay, etc. From a pro perspective this is a no go. As you rightly say, we go to school for this, so we know a risky system when we see it. A lamp that quotes wattage is a no-no. Wattage has absolutely no bearing on the ability to cure, it's about how much electricity uses. When the instruction manual says 'nail dryer' you're on to a loser.

Cuccio are a long standing, reputable brand so they're cuticle oil is probabiy good quality.

The damage to your hypernychium should heal, no guarantees, it's different for everyone but with patience and consistency in caring for them you'll give yourself the best chance.

@NancySyd gives some great advice, I'd probably swerve the handwashing element just because it softens the nails each time and that's counterproductive right now, but awareness of infection is absolutely critical.

Hi tyka23

You have been privileged to receive advice from two highly respected Nail Bosses - one each side of the Pond. There’s pretty much no-one else on here that knows more about taking care of damaged nails and allergies.

I use Cuccio and yes it is good stuff. Personally, in general, I’d rate Cuccio products over CND and Dadi nails because Cuccio is the top brand in the World. However their products have fragrance and their cuticle oil isn’t marketed as a treatment nail product, unlike the recommendations you’ve been given. For this reason I would suggest you buy Dadi oil or CND solar oil. I haven’t used CND solar oil on clients so I can’t compare it, but I do know Dadi oil and I’d use that on damaged nails and skin.

I know my essential oils and I’d swerve pure tea tree oil. It is very powerful and you can develop allergies from it. I wouldn’t use essential oil only a commercially made product with added tea tree oil. You have been over enthusiastic in the past with your nail passion and it’s gotten you into trouble, so recognise this personality trait and avoid the temptation to get carried away.

Focus your attention on keeping your nails short (around 1/8” max!) filing gently once a week. Protect your nails and skin from chemicals - this means wearing gloves to clean the house and rinsing the gloves and leaving them to dry out. Don’t let your hands/fingers get sweaty, so don’t wear gloves for long and avoid wearing disposable gloves because these have synthetic ingredients that you might develop allergies to whilst your nails and skin are suffering.

Also avoid wearing jewellery unless it is sterling or gold. Allergies to metal salts might also develop whilst you are in this vulnerable state, or other skin conditions might be triggered by metal salts so play safe.

All the best

My two cents. Resist any tendency to clean or scrape under the nail plate.

It may look weird but it will flake off naturally although slowly. You don’t want to loosen the bond where the nail plate is trying to reattach to the nail bed.

Latest posts

Back