Beauty "enrichment" at a secondary school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya

I did something similar at a local school last year, It was loads of fun. I was there for an hour and a half a week for 8 weeks i did the following.

Week 1 - Introductions, brief chat about what they wanted to do and hand out parental consent slips and consultation forms.

Week 2 - Basic skin care, where they learnt a basic 3 step cleanse, tone, moisturise and look after their own skin.

Week 3&4 - Make up techniques, natural day to evening looks.

Week 5 - Make there own products, we used oatmeal and honey and things to make natural face masks and body scrubs lol very messy but loads of fun

Week 6 - Natural nails, where they learnt to file and shape their own nails, cuticle oil and hand massages.

Week 7&8 - Nail art, where they got to play with polish, glitter, foil and dotting tools.

Hope this gives you some inspiration and have fun xxx

Hi bling fairy :) I have my first session next week (EEK) and I was just wondering if you could tell me how much detail you went into on each subject? For example contra indications/contra actions, etc. I don't want to start going off on a tangent as I only have 1 hour per week for 8 weeks & want to make it as fun & interesting as I can.

Thank you xx

Hi, I have had a similar enquiry from a local school. Please can you tell me how you price and what you would charge for this type of thing? Thanks

Hi, I have had a similar enquiry from a local school. Please can you tell me how you price and what you would charge for this type of thing? Thanks

The school I'm doing it for are paying me £40 for an hour each week for 7 weeks. I have to invoice them plus any extras if I have to buy anything xx

Thanks Lozstant . x

Hi bling fairy :) I have my first session next week (EEK) and I was just wondering if you could tell me how much detail you went into on each subject? For example contra indications/contra actions, etc. I don't want to start going off on a tangent as I only have 1 hour per week for 8 weeks & want to make it as fun & interesting as I can.

Thank you xx

Hi LozStant

Im so sorry, ive only just seen this! i hope your sessions are going well :D To be honest I didnt go to much over contra-indications as it was really just to show them how to care for their own skin/nails and give them a small insight into the beauty industry.

again i apologise for the late reply xxxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ladies. How did you get into this as I'd LOVE to do this at my local schools :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Embrace social media! Even college learners are constantly on Facebook and twitter so don't fight it just take the control back and get them looking for you tube vids from the likes of the fingernail fixer, and looking for inspirational people to follow on FB, twitter and Instagram. Get them to upload images of their own creations to their own pages, they'll lap it up!

Good luck hope you love it! Xoxo

Hi geeks, I was wondering if anyone could help me or give me an advice/ideas :)

I've been asked to go into one of my local secondary schools for 1 hour a week for 7 weeks to take part in their enrichment. I am a fully qualified beauty therapist & just trying to get ideas of what I could include. I have complete control of the sessions so can do what I want. I want to make it fun, but also make the most of the hour each week to teach them what I can. They will be aged 13-16 & there will be a group of them...potentially upto 20.

I would really appreciate any of your help.

Thanks in advance xx

A bit off topic but I was gobsmacked reading this.
I'm curious to know is the time taken from lessons or is done in break/after school?
I know I would have loved this sort of "enrichment" when I was at school especially if the focus has been on skin care, nails & make up, but as a parent it makes me very uncomfortable.

A bit off topic but I was gobsmacked reading this.
I'm curious to know is the time taken from lessons or is done in break/after school?
I know I would have loved this sort of "enrichment" when I was at school especially if the focus has been on skin care, nails & make up, but as a parent it makes me very uncomfortable.

Why does it make you uncomfortable? Most 13-16 year olds wear makeup and paint their nails and skin care is important for every age group x

Well based on the information provided, it seems this is aimed purely at female pupils, good skin care is relevant to both genders.
Most girls in that age group will be wearing make up etc as you state but I'm not convinced that an educational institution is an appropriate forum to be promoting this in. As LozStant seems able to set the "curriculum" for these 8 hours I'm amazed the school would allow school time to be used like this - but maybe this is offered after school?

Finally as you said most girls will be wearing make up aware of tanning etc etc so if they are already a well informed demographic why not invite in female pharmacists/solicitors/doctors and nurses surely this would be more empowering? For all we know the school are doing a series of these enrichment and the girls will be exposed to lots of enriching concepts and ideas.

Well based on the information provided, it seems this is aimed purely at female pupils, good skin care is relevant to both genders.
Most girls in that age group will be wearing make up etc as you state but I'm not convinced that an educational institution is an appropriate forum to be promoting this in. As LozStant seems able to set the "curriculum" for these 8 hours I'm amazed the school would allow school time to be used like this - but maybe this is offered after school?

Finally as you said most girls will be wearing make up aware of tanning etc etc so if they are already a well informed demographic why not invite in female pharmacists/solicitors/doctors and nurses surely this would be more empowering? For all we know the school are doing a series of these enrichment and the girls will be exposed to lots of enriching concepts and ideas.

I agree that it could be relevant to males too but I do not think that teenage boys in the majority would want to be seen by their peers doing beauty enrichment. It sounds daft but it's the honest truth.

Secondly I'm amazed you have said to invite professions in which you obviously think are better than beauty therapists... of course it would benefit them to have enrichment from all professions to be able to make their own career choices. The point was its a beauty enrichment class and why should they not be offered it? It's important for all teenagers to learn about beauty so they don't make horrible mistakes...which is why the enrichment is so relevant to them and as it's one hour a day I would assume it would be at lunch time or after school so as not to coincide with lessons.

I really don't understand your concern?

As a therapist yourself do you not see the potential? x

Whenever we did enrichment at school/college it was usually in our own time or pse pgse whatever its called now. Anything on this level would of been much more beneficial to us than the many a failed lesson that was provided. Something like this is likely to grasp the attention of the students and I imagine they will have people coming in from all areas not just one. I think its a fantastic idea an good on you for being a part of it. However if the schools are only providing it in one career choice I think it is negligent of the school.

Good luck and I hope it's going well for you.

Is it not the same as careers advice but a bit more intense? It could teach them a bit about the career of beauty maby talk to them about what qualifications they would need, you never know there could be girls there who don't plan on going to college after they finish and you could change that for them. Also I think a really good thing to teach them is about the do's and donts of eyebrows. Lots of young girls I see have very over plucked eyebrows and maby you could teach them about the natural look and using stencils to fill them in when they are trying to grow them back etc, how to pluck them correctly, also the skin tone matching for foundations and things like that. Lots of young girls get make up very wrong (I did when I was a teenager) I think this could actually please the parents as they would be making less mistakes with their make up and skim care and feel and look better/more natural with it x

The school i'm doing it at it is during last period on a Wednesday instead of a lesson. I am doing my last day of this on Wednesday...they all seemed to have really enjoyed it & picked up tips. There are all different kinds of subjects/activities going on at the school I've been doing it at & all have the option to choose whatever they want to do whether they are male or female!! I personally don't see the big deal with an hour a week for 7 weeks instead of lessons...I also included designing their own price lists using Microsoft Publisher. The only thing I've struggled with is finding things to teach/help them with as there is so much I'm NOT allowed to do which is pretty rubbish 😏 xx

Hi LozStant

Im so sorry, ive only just seen this! i hope your sessions are going well :D To be honest I didnt go to much over contra-indications as it was really just to show them how to care for their own skin/nails and give them a small insight into the beauty industry.

again i apologise for the late reply xxxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks BingFairy :) it's going great apart from the school are VERY stricken on what they'll let me do which is hard. Got the last session on weds & I'm racking my brains to think of something really good & fun that I'm allowed to do! Lol xx

Hi ladies. How did you get into this as I'd LOVE to do this at my local schools :) x

Hey Hun :) my Mum works at the school I'm doing it at so she told me about it. Maybe ring around your local secondary schools & ask them as a lot of schools now do this. I'm doing it again October term until Xmas xxx

Nice to hear it went well. This might be something I'll look into in the future, Im tempted to go down the teaching route. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

Latest posts

Back