Beauty salon in the Hospital???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have say that i think the opposite of what some have said.
My mum worked for years in a large hospital near to here, she did her clothes shopping there and got some groceries and ate there on her lunch break. Also i have alot of friends who are med students 3 nurses and two doctors, they practically live at the hospitals they are placed in, they would kill for on site massage.
Having spent a fair bit of time in hospital with my son, i know how horrible it is walking around the corridors, the longest i've had to stay is a week, some of the mums are inthere for months at a time, you need to break the monotony of the situation, but you don't want to go to far, beauty salon on site ideal.
i still think this is a great idea, i visit a day centre, about once a month, for people with disabilities who couldn't get to the salon otherwise, alot of these folks are in and out of hospital quite regularly and it make their week having their nails done and a little massage.:)

I agree also think it would be great:)

I think its a good idea, think of all the doctors, nurses, and other staff who would love some pampering after a hard shift!

I think it could work well for you

But I do think a survey first would be of great help to

I think it's an awesome idea, I'd do it if I had the chance. Pilgrim hospital has a very busy salon on the ground floor (somewhere between the coffee shop and the magazine/sweet shop), a lot of patients who are undergoing long term care do use, the nurses are quite happy to wheel em down there for a blow dry, makes them feel much better!

Remember, you are not called a beauty THERAPIST for no reason! good luck, I think this could be very rewarding (if not a bit emotional sometimes) xxx

Things are a little different here, and it varies from state to state- our local hospitals have a salon in them, owned by the hospital and the stylists or therapists are employees of the hospital. Basic services that require minimal supplies- hair cuts, shampoo and style, massage etc. are simply part of the hospital stay (especially for long term patients) but perms and chemical services were the responsibility of the patient or the patients family to pay for.

I did this for awhile as a fill in for one of my friends, I enjoyed it, the service I provided made people feel better in a tough situation. If it is what you would really like to do, there is certainly a call for it.

I think it's an awesome idea, I'd do it if I had the chance. Pilgrim hospital has a very busy salon on the ground floor (somewhere between the coffee shop and the magazine/sweet shop), a lot of patients who are undergoing long term care do use, the nurses are quite happy to wheel em down there for a blow dry, makes them feel much better!

Remember, you are not called a beauty THERAPIST for no reason! good luck, I think this could be very rewarding (if not a bit emotional sometimes) xxx
thats very true, even in a standard salon setup we all find ourselves in the role of agony aunt, could find that a bit more in a hospital set up xx

:green:thanks a lot, i feel so much more positive about my idea now, as I said at first I got so excited, than I got scared, no I am regaining my positivity about it, I thing it will bring so many opportunities, once I am there.
I do agree with everything that has been said here, bad and good, But I still think there more upsides than downsides.
Finding out that this is very normal for a salon in a Hospital in USA helps a lot as well, it means that this thing is working, and I thought so from the very beginning

Hi olenabeauty

I am up in Scotland and I have been traveling to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee because my dad has been getting chimotherapy there.

Ninewells is a fairly big hospital with some shops, hairdresser and a Beauty Salon.

I have no idea how good a salon it is or how busy they are, but thought you could have a look or even give them a phone and ask them some questions.

Worth a try!!:hug:

Art of Beauty, Dundee

Art of Beauty | Ninewells Hospital| Dundee

Thanks a lot Michidda, this is so funny, but I was doing research on internet today regarding this, and this was the only salon I came across so far. thanks for the link, am having a look at itnow, I might as well take a trip there, would like to see Scotland anyway.

Can you think of what questions I could ask in a survey to get the best results?
thanks in advance!!!:hug:

Can you think of what questions I could ask in a survey to get the best results?
thanks in advance!!!:hug:

you could ask things like:
do you ever use the services of a beauty salon/thereapist/nail tech
out of the following treatments which do you/would you use the most?
a) nails. b) massage, C) waxing etc etc
would you like the opportunity of having the services of a therapist in this hospital?
are you male or female
are you aged between 18-35, 36-55, 55+ (or something along those lines lol)

you could even go so far as to discuss brand they have heard of or treatments they would like to see on offer

best of luck with it all xx

Thanks a lot Sodabuble, these are very helpfull ideas, I will definitly use them in my survey

Hi guys again

Just thought that I tell you this
I have done some research regarding such a thing as beauty salon in a hospital, and i didn't come across that many, so I went to see one in Scotland, Dundee yesterday, and actually they are doing really well, they are busy most of the time and about 80% of their clients are staff from hospital, they also tend to get clients who are patients of this hospital, so I am even more excited now:lol:

You are keen driving all the way to Dundee.:eek::eek:

I am really pleased to hear that the visit was helpful to you and that they are doing so well.

Does this mean there is going to be one more salon to add to the list of salons in hospitals??? :D

Good luck in your new exciting venture.:hug:

Latest posts

Back