Beauty Therapy NVQ Level 2 Distance Learning Provider

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmajones1988

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice?

I'm want to become a beauty therapist and have been looking into the NVQ Beauty Therapy Level 2 distance learning.

This comes with 5-7 practical training days as well as home study and assessment days.

My questions is, there are so many providers out there so who do I chose? I don't mind spending the money but I want to make sure I choose the right provider as there are so many bad ones out there!

I am unable to go to college as I need to be working full time due to finical commitments.

Please advise!

Thanks xx

Ive just qualified in nvq2 and have been told I have been one of the best in the year group, yet I don't think I could be a good enough therapist with only 7 days in college. Having someone watch my waxing technique, or really watch and ask lots of questions about what they're doing, even just correcting the way my clients were laying for a wax and being in a salon environment have taught me a lot. I know its not a possibilty for you to quit work but could you do it part time? Even full time is only 14hrs at college. We were talking about a girl who is rubbish and we were saying she just wont get work, part of me feels bad that she's paid all this money and wont be great, I really wanted to be judged with hgh standards so I know I am starting off well. The theory could defo be done home study.

Also my course was 1500 (more than others in my region) and payable over half terms. I dont know if that would help.

Just make sure its accredited and you can get insured with it, maybe you could get a mentor too. Are there reviews online you can check?

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow 5-7 Prac days, I am a training beauty therapist and I am at the Tafe 3 days every week for 12 months to gain my certification.

Just make sure they are accredited, and you are being taught correctly and not to quickly, I feel that would not be the best place to learn, as that is very quick!

Good luck Hun!

Thanks for the reply ladies :) I think your both right, 7 days practical isn't long enough to learn the techniques on the NVQ Level 2. Misskiani, you mentioned that you do 3 days a week at college? Are they full days, what are your start and finish times? I'm considering the full time or evening part time course, but I need to be able to work 20 hours a week at the very least! I feel that I would benefit more if I learnt beauty therapy at college rather than through a distance learning provider. xx

Hi I'm doing the nvq level 2 in beauty therapy at the Beauty Academy in The Reading branch. I've just started . I want to work at a beauty salon or from home.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi sbeauty35, thanks for commenting on my thread :)

I was looking at studying with them but not sure if 7 days practical is going to be enough time for me to learn everything! How are you finding it so far and what are the people like? xx

Hi . I just started was bit nervous first but when I got there all the girls were really friendly. I will keep u up to date.

Could you not do it at Chichester college? There's no way on god's earth anyone can become proficient at beauty treatments with only seven days practical. If you do, you'll only regret it later as you won't feel confident without the necessary experience. As a result it will end up costing you more money as you'll need to then seek out further hands-on training post-qualification just to get up to speed with the basics!

Yes, I do 3 days a week from 9am to 4pm, I myself still have to work, so I understand your predicament 100%. I study the three days, work one of those nights and work every other day I have off, I class my days off learning beauty. It will be worth it in the end! We do not class it as a college but post college training centre, so maybe the same thing as you, Tassie is a little different in their names.

Do what you think would make you the most successful and competent in that beauty field, if you feel you need more than 7 days (which I would def need more) then do a full time or part time on base training.

:)

I've just done it at chichester college and I cant say enough good things about them.

Full time is only 14hrs and thats over 3 days. Mine was tues and fri 9.15- 1.15 and wed 9.15-3.15 but there are different combinations over the week, thats what I chose to fit in with childcare and work. You can easily work 20hrs alongside.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Chichester is where I did my HND many moons ago, well, in the mid 90's!!

Hello, as Beauty Therapy is HUGELY practical and hands-on, I think it would not be wise to do your NVQ in any way other than attending a proper college.

I was working full time whilst studying for my NVQ level 2, and attended college in the evenings. When it came to studying for NVQ level 3, I changed my work hours to fit around my studies, as that was my priority.

If you can't manage college due to your current job, could you perhaps get a different job which fits around the study times if the Beauty Therapy is your long term career goal?

Where there's a will there's a way!

Best of luck to you xx

Hi I'm doing the nvq level 2 in beauty therapy at the Beauty Academy in The Reading branch. I've just started . I want to work at a beauty salon or from home.

I'm also doing level 3 VTCT with beauty academy in Leeds tbh I think its great the tutors I've had have been really helpful pointed out what I need to work on and so far I've been in 2 full days you do have a lot of assignments to do and you need to do practical assignments at home and take photos as evidence so far it's been a brilliant course. But what works some people may not work for others. Good look :)

Hi
I did my NVQ L2 with The Beauty Academy at the Cambridge Branch. This was a while ago but i never felt rushed or that i didn't have lots of support from them the whole time.
the intensive days are just what they say.. intensive learning. But then that's what you pay for, small classes, decent tutor time, no one there who doesn't want to be because there mum told them to go and get a job! (if you know what i mean!)
And to be honest, do you really need to go in to a collage to do case studies? my friends and family were more then happy to help!

:)

Hi I am also doing my course with the beauty academy . I wanted to knw if u have done the exam at the end where u have to take someone with u to do Ur practical on. Also do u have to take Ur own supply of makeup, Mani pedi things or do they supply that there. Also is the exam difficult . is it multiple choice or not. Thanks

I am also currently training with the beauty academy
& find that they are always on hand for advice & to
answer any questions I have. In reply about the exam
the theory exam is all multiple choice apart from labelling
the diagrams & is done in 7 separate papers. I have my
practical exam this week & have had to find 3 different
models (of different ages) to match the spec I was given.
When you are all ready to take your practical they send you
out a list of all the products you need to take, but they provide
the equipment such a wax pots, foot baths, steamers etc.

hope that helps! :)

I'm not looking forward to finding 3 different models my exams will be in manchester even tho I studied at the Leeds beauty :/

mine was slightly annoying too & i studied in reading but am testing in london. there not too strict on the models but head office make it seem stricter than it will be on the day, one of my models was diagnosed with scabies 3 days before my exam so i explained that & she is letting me take back one of my other models i just had to switch around my timetable of treatments to fit my model. good luck! Xx

To lisabella. Thanks for Ur reply x This should have been mentioned when we bought the course . because it will be difficult to find three different models. Also travelling to London with products! That's goin to b a nightmare. Good luck 2 u . and hope ur dreams come true. Let us knw how the exams go.

Hi guys I'm starting training with beauty academy next month I'll be doing the vtct level 3 diploma in nail technology I was having second thoughts about the training thinking it might not be enough but hopefully by what you guys have said it should all be ok 😁

Latest posts

Back