Beauty therapy qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmajaneberry

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to do an intensive Beauty Therapy course, level 2 and 3. I understand there are various qualifications, can anyone recommend the one(s) to use. I have been looking at City and Guilds, ITEC and VTCT but unsure which would be the more beneficial for securing a job afterwards.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I think NVQ personally...it's recognised in every country so you can practice wherever. I did mine with The Beauty Academy, have a look on their website for pricelist. I would recommend them for the basics, i.e. level 2 and 3 but any additions to that like spray tanning, eyelash extensions, nail enhancements - train with the supplier you want to use :) x

Most courses provide very limited opportunities to practise, practise, practise under supervision and with useful feedback. Passing your assessments is nothing like achieving employable industry standards.

I'd look for a course with excellent employment rates for past students (within the beauty industry), small class sizes and lots of opportunities for client work. Book yourself an underarm or bikini waxing and a manicure in the student salon to see how good the students are and how organised the work experience. Ask the students how they have found their course and what work they are going on to do.

Go to a professional salon for the same treatment and compare the two for quality of end result and speed.

I did a private CIBTAC course leading to CIDESCO and I never regretted it. It was money well spent and I found that I was much better trained when I went into industry than other therapists. Who trains you (and where they gained their industry experience) and where you trained is important - a little name dropping never hurts (!)

CIDESCO is excellent if you can take that amount of time out (and it's pricey too!) but well worth it. Loads of time to practice and well recognised as having very high standards so getting a job after is very unlikely to be a problem xx

Thank you so much for your replys so far... I will get back researching! ALOT more to think about and other areas to consider.

I'd like to get as much hands on experience as possible as I think this will help when landing a job and spending a little more initially will help in the long run.

Thanks guys :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Like the ladies on here have already said, the most important thing in beauty therapy is practise, practise, practise. Whilst on an intensive training course the tutors will try and get as much information as possible into you in as little as possible time. It is definately more beneficial to do a year long College course and the qualification you will get is a NVQ which is nationally and I believe also internationally recognized. This will show future employers that you have been taught and trained to a high standard.
However if you need to do an intensive short course in beauty therapy for whatever reason all the qualifications that you have named are recognized and well known. Just remember that these kind of courses don't give you the practise that a College would provide and you will have to work hard to keep practising on private models.

Good luck!

I trained at champneys and am CIDESCO trained . I originally began training with the old NVQ system at a local college but the standard I received was poor :( hence paying to train CIDESCO. Bit saying that I have worked with and known people who had a good training experience and college so I think it's all down the the college and training providers

The qualification you go for depends on what you want to do. Your training will be the foundation for your career, and I can understand the desire to get past the training stage and start practicing.

It's a fact that their are more beauty therapists than beauty therapy jobs. It's also a fact that there are more beauty therapy providers than customers. For that reason, beauty therapist with the best range of skills will have a greater choice of jobs.

The training you take is the starting point, your experience will make you a beauty therapist. Working in a salon or spar will enable you to build your experience, learn from colleagues and benefit from free product training. Therefore, any employer taking on a beauty therapist is make an investment in that person.

If you're just looking for a job, you will take the easiest route to employment, and employers will see that on you CV because it will be there for the rest of your career. If you are passionate about becoming a beauty therapist, you will choose the basic training and courses that will enable you to excel.

We are currently recruiting a beauty therapist, and many of the CVs are failing because of the lack of training and skills and are not being interviewed. When I select a candidate, their interview will test if the skills and knowledge claimed in the CV are backed up, then they will be asked to demonstrate those skills in a trade test.

Latest posts

Back