Beauty Tutoring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayjay

Reaction score
Hi I am a Qualified Beauty Therapist on 12 years ive recently giving up my Salon of 7 years. I would really like to get into the teaching side of the industry does anyone know were I would start and if I need to does any teaching training first im based in Glasgow. thanks much appreciated xx:lol:

I've just started to do the PTLLS course which I believe is a pre requisite to doing any training. Mine is done through the local adult education college and is a 10 week course. You can do them a lot quicker than that, I know the Guild run an online course which I think you can do in about a week, depending on the number of hours you put into it.

That's your starting point as far as i know - others may know if you can train from somewhere without.

There are other posts on this site with information. It may well be worth doing a search to get a better range of responses.

Getting into teaching is hard. It's difficult to get the qualification without experience and you don't get the experience with the qualification...

A teacher ultimately needs to get the DTTLS qualification. A lead into this qual is the PTTLS qual. You could do this to give you an idea of teaching, its demands and so on, but the PTTLS qual is expensive and takes about 3 hours a week in a class for 10 weeks, and then at least that in homework each week, if not more.

If you did the PTTLS course (I believe the Guild do them online, or you could do it at your local FE college), and then wrote to your local FE college, they might give you once class to teach each week and you could build up that way.

A word of warning - don't even think about taking on too much at the start. You will probably spend about five hours preparing for every hour of teaching you do at the start.

Alternatively, you could write to your local FE college and say you were thinking of teaching and do they need a classroom assistant for a half day each week? This would be unpaid, but a great way to get in the door.

Something that does work, and that isn't very often tried, is to turn up to an information day or open event at the local college and talk to the staff.

You will probably find you get no response at first. Staff in FE are so busy they just don't have time to deal with the sheer numbers of queries that come in. Keep trying and your name will stick in their mind, but don't badger them or you'll be written off.

Good luck.

thanks guys I had no idea were to even start. much appreciated xx

This is something i'm wanting to get into in the next few years. I'm in Glasgow aswell and was looking at one of the teaching courses at Stirling Uni (think its the TQFE course). You do like a day on campus and the rest at a college (one of my college lecturers was doing this)

Think the course give you the info you need for teaching and then you bring the subject in to it.

I've got a copy of things you need for getting in to the course if you need it give me a shout

HTH

Lauren
x

Thanks guys you have all been a massive help just enrolled on a PTLLS course induction tomorrow and start next wk course runs over 5 full days it obviously ment to be :)

thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back