Been offered a beauty room & chair to rent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pebblesxo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I've been doing hair & beauty mobile for the past 2 months, not really enjoying being mobile as I don't drive, its been slow & its not the same as being in a salon environment. The beauty girl in the salon on my street just left so I jumped in and I've been to meet up with them I can have the room&a chair for a bit for £125 a week (£25 a day) for a while as a trial, but then it'll be going up to £40 a day for both the chair & room which will be £200 a week so 800 a month :/ ? , the room is tiny, I don't even think my tent will fit in it to do tans and it needs decorated? I don't know wither to go for it ? Any opinions :( ? xxx

Sounds expensive to me. Have to ask why the previous person left...

Sounds very overpriced! Especially since it's tiny and needs decorating x

Sent from my GT-S7275R using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah I know they were questioning my pricing like I only charge £10 for a blow dry which I think is quiet reasonable but the hairdresser was like but I'm £7 for a short blow dry as if I was to dear? The owner was gonna give me it like 1 week I way next week I get it free so like 4 weeks paid 4 free to help me build up my clients and stuff but I still need to buy stock and I'm gonna need to buy a tanning curtain and get rid of my tent, I'm gonna go up on Tuesday and have a look at the room again. The last girl who was there was only part time x

The room majorly doesn't need decorating but its a light green colour with cream and like a flower painted on one wall ? Just not really attractive. Looked a bit dirty from where the girl used to do tans as well, apparently she never used a tent.

I too think it's sounds too expensive :-( I only charge £15 per day for my room decent size, spray tan cupboard, fitted cupboards & sink built in glass display unit and beautiful wooden floors and all plaster & painted like new.and massive shared reception beautifully decorated.I would check out some other salons first. :)

Really? Yeah I'm gonna question them more! Its not even on the big main road as well, Its just because the last girl that worked there did hair & beauty everywhere else I try already have a beauty person there or are wanting someone with so many years experience I don't do every aspect of beauty but that's where most my money comes from. So stressed really don't know what to do :( I'm not enjoying being mobile one bit x

Have you got the space at home to have a little beauty room? That does sound expensive, and you will probably be paying more rent than earning at the beginning. Have you asked your existing clients if they would follow you or would you lose those because they like you going to them?
Don't rush into it, I made that mistake and deeply regretted it xx

I personally dont think £40 per day is overpriced. Try renting your own shop and overheads, it'll be well over £40 p/d. The problem is that those new to business dont want to pay anything and have no idea the overheads involved in running a shop. Mortgage/Rent, rates, insurance, phone line, water, electric, gas, card terminal, music licence, advertising, maintenance, tea, coffee, milk, magazines, window cleaner, receptionist to name but a few. If you can get all them for less than £40 p/d then crack on. I also think that those who rent out rooms for £15 p/d arent helping the industry. By charging so little they allow the person renting the room to charge less than everybody else (to try and poach, i mean gain clients), which in turn has a knock on effect with the next person charging even less, and before you know it people are giving treatments away. Im so glad im not just starting out!

Go with your gut...and by the sounds of it, don't take it.
I personally think £40 is v pricey. £800 per month is a lot and in the first yr, everyone struggles to turn a profit. I recently rented a space for 4 months- they charged my a lower price initially then it went up. I immediately thought the space was too small but got so excited I went with it anyway. Also another colleague questioned my prices (similar to u)and I had to drop them which made making the rent even more difficult. The 4 months were v difficult and I made rent but only barely. I was unhappy the space was too small and the questions about pricing kept coming. I should have listened to my but.

Sent to early! So I didn't listen to my BUT as I just said (but I hope that give u a giggle lol) I should have listened to my GUT! I left that salon eventually and months of difficulties and moved elsewhere. I can afford my new place and the right type of client are coming to me. My prices have gone back up and the clients pay it because they know I'm good instead of cutting my prices and only getting clients who are looking for a one off cheaper service. Good luck and I hope this helps

£40 a day for both is good! She'd probably make more renting them to Two separate people.

My only concern is how are you going to work a beauty room AND a stylist chair at the same time? If and when you get busy you'll be running around like a Blue assed Fly. Possibly losing clients in tne process as they may wish a hair app on your "beauty room" day.

Plus you'll be paying full rent on a room and the chair and only using them part time as you're splitting yourself in half - pointless :)

Personally I'd stick to one thing in the salon and get that client Base built up, room or chair and set up at home the other.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

£40 a day is a lot i was paying £20 for both room and nail desk . Would never have afforded that much especially in the early dats of getting your buisness up and running . I now have have my own salon salon opening monday and its in a better location and rent is cheaoer than my room .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally dont think £40 per day is overpriced. Try renting your own shop and overheads, it'll be well over £40 p/d. The problem is that those new to business dont want to pay anything and have no idea the overheads involved in running a shop. Mortgage/Rent, rates, insurance, phone line, water, electric, gas, card terminal, music licence, advertising, maintenance, tea, coffee, milk, magazines, window cleaner, receptionist to name but a few. If you can get all them for less than £40 p/d then crack on. I also think that those who rent out rooms for £15 p/d arent helping the industry. By charging so little they allow the person renting the room to charge less than everybody else (to try and poach, i mean gain clients), which in turn has a knock on effect with the next person charging even less, and before you know it people are giving treatments away. Im so glad im not just starting out!

I have a very successful business and have had for 14 years, now I am helping two young ladies start out in business because it's the only way they can get their foot on the ladder. One is a single parent starting out in a different part of the country with no family and friends around her. Also it's about location :) before you judge!

Hey ! Thanks for all the replys I've took the space, decorated it spent a fortune tbh but i'm only going to do part time as i'll be back in college doing make up so my days will go down by then again to! So talking maybe £50-75 a week tops but obviously do more days on holidays and stuff! Its just to local for me not to take it and the chance for me to do both hair & beauty I may as well i'm going to speak to the owner again soon and say to her about the £40 a day being way to much I'm not overly confident in doing colours i just panic myself out which I know I shouldn't but we'll see so come to maybe an agreement that I pass all colours on to the other woman and I just stick to the styling and blow dry's and stuff and extensions which I'm more confident and love doing! but we'll see how it goes, i'll post a few pictures on tues/wed when its all done so you's can see it :D plus i've just been awarded funding to do my nail course which will boost my income as well and it has a nail desk in my room hopefully be all worth it!!
Thanks for all the advice i'll see how it goes if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out! at lest I can say I've tried it, I'm only 19 still young!
xxxx

I'm only 19 and just staring out, I don't come from a family where I can just get lots of money off and help in fact the only person I have thats helped me out is my mum! I've worked my complete bum off the whole past year to get to where I am today! £800 a month though if i'm full time ( 5 days no late nights!!) is a lot of money especially for someone who is just starting out, I've just spent about £100+ on decorating the room it was in that much of a state! Had to bin there beauty bed and i'll need to take my own one up as well so i'm furnishing the room as well, I'll be buying my own magazines stuff for tea & coffee's as well for my clients I wouldn't just go in and use all her stuff and help myself.

In my area the average rate is £120 per week. Where as for me its £30 per day. I have 3 days including late nights and after 7 weeks struggle to fill 3 days. :)

Yeah every wheres varys depending on locations obviously. I'm the south side of Glasgow, the main road is very busy with salons every 2 shops, So if i went down there i would probably pay more but theres more passing trade etc and rents are higher down that side but I'm a bit further in with houses and stuff, nearest salon is like 10 minute walk from mine & it is a lot quieter! xxx

chesire_gal totally agree i have a salon and £40 a day is nothing u dont realise how lucky u are my beauty girls pay alot more than that a week but there doing sets of nails at £30 quid each at the lowest x

I've just spent about £100+ on decorating the room it was in that much of a state! Had to bin there beauty bed and i'll need to take my own one up as well so i'm furnishing the room as wellT

That to me says it all , our industry is over saturated , with people who have not got a clue about business. I have spent over £100 on a roll of wall paper/mirror/chair/curtain etc. £10 for a blow dry ? this thread is a joke,i can not believe you are complaining about the price of renting a chair at £20 per day, get your self a job , and some real experience perhaps then you will have a yard stick to measure things by.

Latest posts

Back