Best software to build my own website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilks12

Reaction score
hi, i have a domain name but am wanting to expand my website to have pics of the salon and b a bit more modern, can anyone advise on a good package that will be best to build my own site - it needs to be relatively easy to use as i am ok with computers but am still very much a novice!

Hiya

I used Microsoft Office Live. It's very easy and FREE!

I bought a Mr Site package and struggled for a year and still couldn't get it to look as I wanted. My current site is still having pages added to it but at least I'm 'out there' now:green:
bone

I've seen Mr Site churn out horrendously formatted HTML code in the past, full of syntax errors! If going the template site builder route, my vote would currently be with Weebly until something better comes along.

It all depends on what you want from you site really?

these "fruitmoon", "weebly", "mrsite" etc only give you so much as they tend to offer to help you build a site, not only for you, but so they can advertise they business/software within that, by means of a fruitmoon URL, or weebly/mrsite advertisement in your footer

are you not better off getting someone to do it for you or is this not what you want?

Hi,

thanks all for your comments and recommendations.

Just to update a little more, I am after the software to allow me to upload pics of the salon and treatments and to be able to add things like a facebook button and bits and pieces like this along with all the usual treatment listings.

i would love to get someone to do all this for me but i am afraid cash is short so i am looking to do it myself to try and save some pennies!

Hi,

thanks all for your comments and recommendations.

Just to update a little more, I am after the software to allow me to upload pics of the salon and treatments and to be able to add things like a facebook button and bits and pieces like this along with all the usual treatment listings.

i would love to get someone to do all this for me but i am afraid cash is short so i am looking to do it myself to try and save some pennies!

Probably best to go to 123-reg.co.uk to buy a domain name then (it's less than £8 for a .co.uk domain for 2 years), and point that at a Weebly site or whatever. Definitely best to buy the domain name from a separate company to who the site is hosted with though as a rule - as that way the domain name remains in *your* control and it will be easier to move the domain to point to a different site in the future if you ever find yourself in a position to upgrade a few months down the line, say...

i do already have my domain name and so yes i would control that part to point my website to. i had been recommended dreamweaver also??

i do already have my domain name and so yes i would control that part to point my website to. i had been recommended dreamweaver also??

Dreamweaver is some software that runs on your PC that you can use to design websites; if you were using Dreamweaver then you would probably need web hosting with FTP access; Dreamweaver works differently to Weebly, Moonfruit, etc, in that it's not a "content management system" running on the web server that does all the web site creation on the server that hosts the website, but is a standalone application running on your PC - hence the need to transfer any files created in Dreamweaver across to the web server that is hosting your website, e.g. using FTP.

Latest posts

Back