Best strategy for advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet Candy

Reaction score
I am still training at the mo in Nails and Waxing however come next year I would like to market myself in the most positive way to receive the highest amount of interest I can generate.

Any ideas re marketing, offers, how to kick start a new business, I am home based and have a room downstairs set up as my salon.

My brother said leaflet dropping in doors is not so good as alot people just stick them in bucket, maybe advertise in local directory. I just dont know, what is your experience?

Help me pleasexxx

I am still training at the mo in Nails and Waxing however come next year I would like to market myself in the most positive way to receive the highest amount of interest I can generate.

Any ideas re marketing, offers, how to kick start a new business, I am home based and have a room downstairs set up as my salon.

My brother said leaflet dropping in doors is not so good as alot people just stick them in bucket, maybe advertise in local directory. I just dont know, what is your experience?

Help me pleasexxx
Im sure you will get lots of helpful advice on this site from other members..

To begin with you should get your website set up, there are lots of options for getting this and again Im sure there are people on this site who can recommend web site packages.

Decide on your name, get your web pages designed and once you have your site up and running then you start to upload your details to the many free business directories and the sites for free advertising, which often rank quite high with Google/Bing etc. There are so much free advertising online available , but you need to invest some time to do it all.

Take time and research the internet, and look at web design and clour ant text and logo etc that you like and then put it all together. I find that working with good quality brands and products does pay off , and these brand names attract clients themselves.

I returned to the Uk in 2008 and set myself up from home with no client base and spent time developing my websites, looking at ways to raise my profile and it does pay off , but its a great journey .. and with forums like this one you will always find people who can help and support and answer questions that relate to various therapies/treatments...

Good luck...

Jack

Your website will be your best ad. Try GUMTREE as it's free/cheap and reaches a lot of people. xx

I'm a bit miffed I've not heard a thing from Gumtree or Vivastreet. I was expecting at least a crank or perv call, but alas nothing! lol :wink2: x

I'm a bit miffed I've not heard a thing from Gumtree or Vivastreet. I was expecting at least a crank or perv call, but alas nothing! lol :wink2: x

thats better than a crank/perv call imo.. we used to get people text/call asking if we offered "extras" :eek:

when they were told No, they would either give up, or text again and again, until we told them a straight NO! :green:

Hi
I set up my business in may i rent two rooms within a hair and beauty salon.
My best advice to you is think who are your target market ie. mums then pop along to mum and baby groups or business professionals go and see all the local shops and business and offer a discount for them, also think about local handbook that operate within your area. I currently advertise in two local handbooks and they do very well! Like the other geeks have said your websites is the best make sure it is welcoming and has some pictures and knowledege of the treatments u offer.
Also i recommend when you know who ur target market is make sure u offer them everything u think they will enjoy and love, ie, mums may enjoy pamper packages and business professional may enjoy popping around in there lunch break.

Hope this helps

I agree with Kate

The best thing you can do is identify your target market. Who lives in your area? Where do they go? How much do they spend on beauty treatments? How do they find out about new businesses?

If you understand them, then you will understand what they need and how to give it to them.

For me, my target market is 22 - 35 Female professionals. I'm in Canada and my target market here finds new businesses through referrals and online. So I have a social media presence, do google ads and have a referral program.

I hope this helps

Lindsay X

The web!
You can do it yourself ( I did) but I had help.
Contact someone to get a quote- I'd recommend Darren at KP Studios for web design- he has heaps of experience and is reasonable- mention me - eyecandy2go and I'm sure he will do u a good price. It's worth investing in a decent site ( it doesn't matter if you're not local) - 01254 672947.
Good luck x
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd suggest to set up a Facebook Page for your business (it's not the same as you personal Facebook profile). FB Pages can be useful in promoting your beauty business, describing your location, working hours and most importantly services you offer. Your loyal customers will become FB Page fans and their friend will see that as well!

Try to use online booking, so your new and existing customer could book an appointment with you even in late evenings/weekends or then for some reason it's not convenient for you (or the customer) to call you.

All the best!

Hi
I set up my business in may i rent two rooms within a hair and beauty salon.
My best advice to you is think who are your target market ie. mums then pop along to mum and baby groups or business professionals go and see all the local shops and business and offer a discount for them, also think about local handbook that operate within your area. I currently advertise in two local handbooks and they do very well! Like the other geeks have said your websites is the best make sure it is welcoming and has some pictures and knowledege of the treatments u offer.
Also i recommend when you know who ur target market is make sure u offer them everything u think they will enjoy and love, ie, mums may enjoy pamper packages and business professional may enjoy popping around in there lunch break.

Hope this helps

Great advice. Your target market will dictate what marketing channels you should use, your pricing, brand image, even company name. Spend time at the beginning doing your research, then you can tailor your business for maximum impact! Good luck x

I started working from home just over a year ago. I have spent a no end of money on advertising and most of it is a waste. Yellow pages and BT book cost £200-£300 and I advertised in both had no one from yellow pages and one person from BT book who said that I was the only one in the area in there. I was the only person/salon that paid for an ad so you would have thought I would have got something, but if you ask yourself, if you were looking for somewhere or anything where do you look???

Website is the best, get as much info and it's not as expensive as you think.

Leaflet drop, I did the drop myself, bloody hard work but it paid off, you can get people to do it for you but like someone said they drop them in the bin. I did find that this worked for me, I had an offer on it.

There is a good thread, more ways to promote yourself which is really good, some very good tips on there.

Have you looked at Lynne Baker's thread on networking and promoting your business. It has contributions from dozens of geeks about what works to promote their business, and it's still being added to. I always suggest you read through, choose two ideas and see if they work. If they do, carry on doing it. If they don't, choose another two and keep trying.

There isn't one failsafe way to promote your business because everybody has a different client base, but if it's worked for one geek, it could well work for you.

Why don't you ask your postman to see if he'll drop some leaflets off with the mail for a little donation. I've been advised to do that from my dad (who's also a postman!)

Latest posts

Back