Best training advice for new business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki Martin

Reaction score
I am currently undertaking my Level III nail technicians qualification & I have recently enrolled onto accredited training (day trainings in other beauty areas - waxing, spray tan etc.). I know that these are insurable once completed and then I would be able to offer treatments. But I am also looking at the NVQ in Beauty and as you all know the training is expensive but I would like others opinions on NVQ versus individual accredited courses. I wish to start up my own business and would like advice on what qualifications are would be considered the best. My thoughts are that to go ahead and get my NVQ'S and the additional courses are just a bonus and add to experience and confidence gained.

There are a lot of therapists on here who will tell you that a one day training course is fine. I have done many short courses, but all on the back of an NVQ that I did years ago. Personally, I think short courses have their place, but I think that an NVQ gives you a good grounding in beauty. As with all courses, some training is better than others, but generally speaking, an NVQ will set you up ready to perform the most popular beauty treatments.

No course on it's own is enough. You have to be prepared to practice in your own time. Many will do the training at college, and never touch a wax pot outside college hours. Needless to say, they're not going to leave college as proficient waxers.

If you look at many of the posts on here, one of the most common questions is how to get more clients. Competition is fierce, and many are throwing themselves into the work place with no real understanding of how they are going to run a business. Why should a client start coming to you - to just set up and say "I'm here" isn't enough. The more treatments you offer, the more likely you are to attract more diverse clients, and many will cross over, from waxing to nails etc.

Finally, as an employer, you could have every day course under your belt, but if you don't have NVQ2 and 3, I wouldn't be interested in employing. You may want to go it alone, and set up on your own, but what if that just doesn't work? Do you want to be employable? Also, many local authorities are now insisting on NVQ 2 as a minimum for those wanting to set up a salon at home or in premises.

If this is your future career, do you just want to do a few day courses, or do you want to learn everything you can and come out with a recognised qualification?

You can see where my advice lies. Do an NVQ and come out trained in all aspects of beauty. Be insurable and employable and ready to work, or do some day courses, it's up to you.

Vic x

Hi Vic,

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

You have pretty much confirmed my thoughts, I am a qualified NVQ assessor and have NVQ's in another industry, so my experience was as you have said above. But as a newbie I wanted to get other experienced advice.

I am worried that the short courses would not give me enough information and overall background so I think with all the above considered I will most definitely take on the Level II Beauty.

I want this to be a successful change in career and to make it so I need to have the training behind me. I have many volunteer guinea pigs in the line up to practice as it is in the confidence not just the training.

I have looked into insurance and am able to get insurance to cover me as a student and as a qualified as and when I complete the required courses. I also have a position in a salon open to me and am looking forward to the experience. I am currently converting a room in my home as a beauty room and will look into the registration process. If all else fails I would definitely want to be employable other wise retraining is not worth the effort in my opinion.

Thanks Again x

Latest posts

Back