Big, massive, huge step...scared!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniB82

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im new on here....so Hello!!

Anyway im off to the estate agents at weekend to view a salon for rent...
Its been empty for a while and its next door to the hairdressers I go to...

Ive wanted my own salon for sooo long, been in the industry for an age and experienced a lot, but always wanted to work for myself.

So really I'm just looking for any advice on how to make a success of it, any dos and donts and anything you recommend i look out for when im viewing on sat, questions i should ask etc..

I work for a international skincare company at the moment as national trainer, i stand up in front of groups of people everyday and give them retailing advice etc but this is quite daunting!!!!:eek:

Thanks guys, look forward to speaking to you!!!:)

Danielle

Hi Guys,

Ive wanted my own salon for sooo long, been in the industry for an age and experienced a lot, but always wanted to work for myself.

So really I'm just looking for any advice on how to make a success of it, any dos and donts and anything you recommend i look out for when im viewing on sat, questions i should ask etc..

I work for a international skincare company at the moment as national trainer, i stand up in front of groups of people everyday and give them retailing advice etc but this is quite daunting!!!!:eek:

Danielle

Ooh How exciting for you Danielle,
I hope to be in your shoes one day - its my dream to open my own salon too one day!
I read a thread on here a while ago asking the same sort of questions, I will try and find it and post you the link!
x:hug:x

Best of luck in fulfilling your dream :)
xx

my best advice? is feel the fear and do it anyway!

no, it really is!. if you really want to do then get with it and get it done.

you are woman, let me hear you roar!

hi. location is so important to you being successful. next door to a hairdressers is a great place specially for beauty as the two go together so well . parking near by is another important factor . also whats your nearest competition. check out what services they do and there prices as you will need to be competative. id say these are the 3 most important boxes to tick first. if you can tick all 3 id get really excited :) . good luck

thanks guys, all your advice has been really helpful!!!!

and you know what im just gonna go for it!!!!:):):):)

has anyone got any tips for writing a business plan?
things i should include etc.

im gonna need a little bit of funding from the bank, but im hoping ill be able to do most of it myself....

also tigi could you tell me a bit more about your tanning products and the training you do?
thats my next product decision to make....

thanks my lovelies!!!

danielle
xxxxxxx

Hi Guys,

Danielle

Welcome, Danielle! sounds like you have everything it takes. Confidence, experience, talent and drive. Location sounds good with good exposure. One of the first things I look at is PARKING .. you must have decent parking ... I have found over 25 years it is one of the most important aspects.

Remember when renting ... you don't have to just agree with everything ... you need a lawyer to look over the lease and you can ask for things to be changed ... so many think they have no input but you do ... if there is something you do not like then say so is the best advice I can give. You should be in the driving seat in the current financial clime .. they should bite your hand off. Best of luck with everything.

Oh and one last thing .. what we all fear is failure but someone once said to me .. keep doing what you are doing and you'll only get what you've got .... the fear factor has to be there but if you are good and sensible and with your background why would you?? don't even contemplate it.

bunisess plans, not something my brain can handle. too many other important things to think about. i got a personal loan instead when i started up and the bank didnt ask any questions at all.

Welcome! Speak to Business Link - they have some expert advice available and it's all free - even three days of training on business processes.

There will be masses of info on their site about writing a business plan.

Prepare a business plan | Business Link

hth? Jason.

Latest posts

Back