Bikini wax burns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D4diva

Reaction score
I had a basic bikini wax yesterday it's the first time I've had waxing done in this area. The salon I go to uses perigon rigot hot wax. When the wax was first applied the pain was unbearable it felt like my skin was burning I asked the therapist if the wax should be that hot and she said yes. I glanced over at the pot and the temperature was on 68. I'm now left with blisters in this area it really sore and I quite concerned that these will scab over and look unsightly when I go on holiday in a few days time. I contacted the salon they apologised and advised me to use aloe Vera. Can anyone tell me if this was the correct temperature for the wax and what's best to treat the blisters.

Did the therapist test the wax on herself before she put it on you?

I'm reluctant to say that 68 is the incorrect temperature, but it does seem a little high, although not all wax pots are the same, so I tend to go on texture rather than temperature!
As far as blisters are concerned. I'm not sure they are burn blisters. If the wax is too hot, it actually removes the skin rather than it blistering. Could it be that you are very red from having the hair removed for the first time, and the skin is raised and sore?

I'm afraid that if I were you, I would return to the salon and ask them to have a look. Something like Sudocrem may have a more soothing, healing effect than just aloe.

Vic x

It all depends on whether the wax was hot wax or strip wax. Did she apply the wax and remove it with white paper strips or did she apply the wax and remove it by pulling it off with her hand?

69 for strip wax is fine but it needs to be applied thinly and quickly. If for example she let the strip wax sit on your skin before she scraped it with the spatula then that would feel hot. That would happen regardless of the brand of wax by the way.

Hope it's a lot better today.

I had a basic bikini wax yesterday it's the first time I've had waxing done in this area. The salon I go to uses perigon rigot hot wax. When the wax was first applied the pain was unbearable it felt like my skin was burning I asked the therapist if the wax should be that hot and she said yes. I glanced over at the pot and the temperature was on 68. I'm now left with blisters in this area it really sore and I quite concerned that these will scab over and look unsightly when I go on holiday in a few days time. I contacted the salon they apologised and advised me to use aloe Vera. Can anyone tell me if this was the correct temperature for the wax and what's best to treat the blisters.

Wow! This is just awful. No matter what wax she used and what number it said on the heater, that therapist should not have applied that wax to your skin without testing it on her wrist first OR at least checking the consistency of the product in her heater. She should've been alarmed when you mentioned on the first patch that it was way too hot, and you should have trust your instincts and got her stop. You poor thing! :(

I would keep applying the aloe vera gel every chance you get. At least a couple of times a day. And wear big cotton knickers that won't irritate your skin or the blisters any further. I hope it heals quickly for you. :)

It could be many things that has caused the blistering 'like' reaction did you exercise after or use any heat treatments? I would suggest going to a GP as only they can determine what and how this is. If it was hot wax I would doubt it would be too hot as when extremely hot hot wax tends to run and you would tell due to the inability to set. Your reaction could be any things such as;

1)Irritaion of the skin something like a razor burn caused by in proper techniques. Treat it in the same way. Treat rit with aloe vera gel. The aloe vera allows for protection from the environment and has analgesic qualities that reduce swelling, soothe the irritation, and form a barrier which protects the skin from infection and promotes healing.

2)some waxing salons do not separate the wax into individual containers before application or change spatula (avoid double dipping), which is the sanitary way to do things. Keep in mind that the wax is heated and there's no telling what types of bacteria is fermenting since the product is used on the general public a case occured in America and a women contracted hepatitis from an eyebrow wax.

3)Could be too hot but consistency is key some wax brands have lower melting points So you can only tell by how it feels and looks. Text books often say 68 for hot wax but most brands are 40c-53c in temperature.

4) may just be an allergic reaction to the product and nothing to do with the salon as such.

68 is correct for hot wax and 43 for strip wax. I agree with the others, she should have definitely tested the temp on herself first.
Other reasons as to why this may have happened- too tight clothing, applying soap, lotion or perfumed products to the area in the first 24-48 hrs, sweating, shower too hot.
I must admit ive never heard of someone getting blisters from wax. Usually if the wax is too hot youd be left with a bit if erythema but blisters? The temperature would have to have been a lot hotter than 68. Dont get me wrong, im not disputing your shocking experience, its just something ive never seen or heard of in my 15 years of waxing. Id definitely go back there and show them just to let them have a look and see what they say. Speak to the salon manager, if you speak to the therapist that worked on you chances are she'll feed you some bullcrap reason. Hope it clears up for you soon :(

Hi Thanks for all the advice.
I thought I would give you a update. I went back into the salon the owner or manager were not there so I asked for one of the other staff (not the one that did the waxing) to have a look. She confirmed they were burns and said she would get the owner to call me. I then had a call back from the therapist to say they were going to refund the cost of the waxing onto my client account £15.00 I had spent £150 there that day!! The burns were not getting any better after a couple of days despite applying Aloe Vera so I went to the pharmacy the day I was going on holiday to get some advice. He said two of the burns had become infected and suggested I needed to get some antibiotics from my doctors and said I shouldn't go swimming in the sea. To cut it short I was going on my dream holiday taking antibiotics and couldn't go on the sea. I can safely say I won't be using that salon again.

I thought I would give you a update. I went back into the salon the owner or manager were not there so I asked for one of the other staff (not the one that did the waxing) to have a look. She confirmed they were burns and said she would get the owner to call me. I then had a call back from the therapist to say they were going to refund the cost of the waxing onto my client account £15.00 I had spent £150 there that day!! The burns were not getting any better after a couple of days despite applying Aloe Vera so I went to the pharmacy the day I was going on holiday to get some advice. He said two of the burns had become infected and suggested I needed to get some antibiotics from my doctors and said I shouldn't go swimming in the sea. To cut it short I was going on my dream holiday taking antibiotics and couldn't go on the sea. I can safely say I won't be using that salon again.
Oh my god. Thats terrible :( You should definitely give them your medical costs so you can be reimbursed and mention that theyve totally screwed up your holiday because of their irresponsible therapist

Disgraceful! State your case in writing and tell them that you want the total cost of your treatments refunded £150. Then if they don't you can decide what to do. Hope it didn't spoil your holiday too much. x

Did the therapist test the wax on herself before she put it on you?

I'm reluctant to say that 68 is the incorrect temperature, but it does seem a little high, although not all wax pots are the same, so I tend to go on texture rather than temperature!
As far as blisters are concerned. I'm not sure they are burn blisters. If the wax is too hot, it actually removes the skin rather than it blistering. Could it be that you are very red from having the hair removed for the first time, and the skin is raised and sore?

I'm afraid that if I were you, I would return to the salon and ask them to have a look. Something like Sudocrem may have a more soothing, healing effect than just aloe.

Vic x
Hi I posted a similar thread today after reading this one but not sure if the advice would be the same. Can you please take a look? Thanks x

Latest posts

Back