Bio Sculpture French problem - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPR

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just completed my training about 2 weeks ago. I am loving the product but I received a couple of messages about the two French I have done have started to peel. 1 nail on one which has been on a week and 3 nails on the other which is 5 days old. Argh!!!
I did prep as I was shown except for the hygienic elegance.
Washed hands with hygienic elegance
Dual cleanse
Anti fungal spray
Cuticle remover
Metal tool on cuticle area
Shape
Shine off nail with pink teardrop file
Cutistone lightly around cuticle area.
Dual cleanse
Vitamin dose
Executive base in middle of nail - take shine off with grey sponge
Dual cleanse
Overlay -
Clear base gel
1 strawb French
2 french white
Uv top coat
Dual cleanse
Cuticle oil

Any suggestions? Thank you for any advice! x

you need to use sgel or flexi gel after the cured whites to build a good apex which will give strength and to avoid the dip in the nail from where the white is.
Also not sure why you were taught to remove shine off nail?
In my bio training we were never taught to remove shine off nail or buff the nail plate!

Hi there,

Yes I was told repeatedly that the gel will not stick to a smooth surface and that it has to be slightly abrasive - I wasn't expecting this part of the application as I have never buffed the nail plate for any other enhancement. ie Acrylic. It's the first gel I have used so haven't seen any other way. I copied the hand written notes down exactly with every detail noted.

On the colour overlay I have refining gel OR UV top coat after the two coats of colour before dual cleanse and finish.

On French we were instructed to use the UV top coat to create the arch. No mention of any other gel to be used...

Do you use the same prep order?

I am meeting both clients tomorrow so would you suggest I add a layer of flexi or s gel to the nails??

Eeekkk please tell me thats a typing error that you used the pink tear drop file to remove shine?

Only the grey buffer should be used to remove any shine not a nail file.

Xx

with Bio you dont need to buff the nail plate, just prep really well, some people advise on here to miss out the vitamin dose and executive base as helps to stop early lifting. Make sure you remove all cutitcle from nail plate and wipe really well with dual cleanse and make sure nail plate is dry before application of gels. I then do x2 nails at a time then thumb last, or you can do thumb first then fingers.

I do clear, x1 strawberry pink (or if clear french i do x1clear then x1 layer of sealer gel) then x2 french white, then x1 sgel or flexi depending on nail type but for me its usually sgel, you have to build a good apex as there will be a slight dip in nail from where the whites are, this also gives strength. I never heard of building apex with UV top coat? Maybe thats new?
I then dual cleanse, tidy if need be, then I do x1 uv topcoat.

Did you get the manual with your training, as should all be in there but you should never need to buff or remove nail shine ever. Only time to buff the nail is when you come to soak off to break the seal, and to buff off UV topcoat as this is non soakable.

Hope this helps x

I'm sorry I have to disagree with the no buffing. I've been doing bio for nearly 10yrs now an I always buff every single little area of every nail!! Without this the gel will definitely lift after a week or 2!! And bio should last at LEAST 3 weeks with every client.
I do agree to change your finishing to sgel it is a lot stronger.
If it's just the French that's chipping it must be your sealing. Make sure you pull every layer of gel over the free edge. And when u start using sgel it can't touch the natural nail plate.
How are your colour gels lasting?
And definitely not to buff with pink file :s but make sure you take the shine off in all corners, sides etc because it does not last well if there is visible shine during application.
Hth x

I get a good 3 weeks out of bio gels without buffing the shine off nails?
The only time I was taught to lightly buff the nail at all is if there was any flaking or peeling of nails as this would cause early peeling/lifting of gel.
In my training and manuel there is no mention of buffing to remove nail shine?
Any other BIO techs out there given different information from me? Would like to know. THanks xx

It really does depend on when & where you trained... I was not taught to remove the shine, but since speaking to more experienced techs on here, & reading Bio's US facebook page I started to use the grey sponge buffer lightly over the nail.

I trained 2 years ago.
Xx

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
I will certainly use an extra refining gel and I'll be interested to hear more on the buff / no buff debate.
It was the pink tear drop that the trainer used. :/
This has been really useful.

Thanks ladies x

Oh and I did the training 2 weeks ago on Sunday and longest colour is 10 days and still going strong.
Disappointed i seem to have been shown a technique that us questionable but when you go you have to trust the trainer, right??

At least I have other sources of advice to fall back on - oh! And my manual!

My only worry is the assessment - what if I am saying a different way to how the trainer has taught us?! Will that go against me?!
x

Can I shift this thread into the bio s group somehow?? x

Just to add, UV is a top coat only and will not build an arch.
I was taught to lightly buff the free edge with grey sponge file, to smooth the edge after filing, but that it.

LPR where did you train?

I understand your worry with the assessment, Id personally speak to Bio as im pretty sure they wont advise you to use a nail file to buff the nail, we are trying to promote healthy nails not damage them.

Xx

Hi Steph,
I trained in Motherwell. Yeah - it's a bit of a worry with the assessment. I wish I had the details of the other ladies who were on the training to confirm that's what we were shown.

It did surprise me to see a file to be used that way but as I said - you trust the demonstration you are shown don't you.

My whole ethos is to do the least damage possible and use the healthiest formulas I can find - which is why I chose Bio S as my gel of choice. Feeling a little disillusioned at the moment. :/ xx

I would personally call Bio just for your own peace of mind with the assessment.

But in future I would only use the pink file for filing the length & the grey sponge for buffing.

The finishing gel ideally s gel is better for creating an apex, make sure you cap the edges, but don't touch the skin.

It wont help if the client has had flaky nails underneath but this would gave hopefully been removed by using the grey sponge buffer. & you have to stress to clients not to use their nails as tools, for opening packages, cans, tins etc.

Use gloves for cleaning/washing up & to wash the overlay after using any creams.

Make sure exc base is dry, & not too close to the free edge or side walls.

Personally I don't use exc base any more but you would buff with the grey sponge, dual cleanse, then vit dose, exc base... Then overlay.

Xx

Washed hands with hygienic elegance -
Dual cleanse
Anti fungal spray -
Cuticle remover
Shape
Shine off nail with pink teardrop file - No. (only file lightly if theres lose flaky nails bits)
Cutistone lightly around cuticle area. (I will upload a Youtube Clip to show you exactly how much cuticle work you should be doing, I am sure what your doing doesnt touch the ice-berg...)

What you are doing is all of the above, but in honesty it's all too busy & needlessly time consuming. Personally I would spray the ladies nails with anti fungal. Then proceed to apply cuticle remover. I would work with a metal pusher tool or your welcome to go in with a cutistone. Then once done get the client to wash their hands... Once washed & dried then proceed with your usual process below (keeping in mind the comments I've added) .....

Dual cleanse - I would wash hands now to remove the cuticle remover oils!
Vitamin dose - (are you putting this on a lint wipe, smudging on then off?)
Executive base in middle of nail - take shine off with grey sponge (OLD TRAINING. A little is put upon a nail, then once dried the shine of ONLY the Executive base was removed. If your ladies nails are dry or corrugated this must never be applied. Personally I no longer use this EB because it causes gels to lift !
Dual cleanse (All this Dual cleansing must be taking you hell of a long time to complete your service).
Overlay -
Clear base gel - Yes
1 strawb French - Yes
2 french white - yes
Uv top coat - What are your clients nails like? You may need Flexi Gel or S Gel as a finish.
Dual cleanse - yes
Cuticle oil -yes

Heres the Youtube clip :

Removing Cuticle....the real cuticle - YouTube

Make sure exc base is dry, & not too close to the free edge or side walls.

Personally I don't use exc base any more but you would buff with the grey sponge, dual cleanse, then vit dose, exc base... Then overlay.

Xx

I'm trying to get my head around what is 'correct procedure' for the prep now. Why do they give us Exec base if so many don't use it any more?? What is it's purpose and why would they instruct us to use it if causes the gel to lift? The trainer told us it was to aid the removal stage of the gel... x

I'm trying to get my head around what is 'correct procedure' for the prep now. Why do they give us Exec base if so many don't use it any more?? What is it's purpose and why would they instruct us to use it if causes the gel to lift? The trainer told us it was to aid the removal stage of the gel... x

It is to aid removal, but with a good file off of the topcoat gel & wrapping to remove it isn't essential.

Stick with the way you was taught for the assessment (minus the pink file on natural nail for buffing) after that you may decide to stick with using exc base, or you may not... I did change my prep once qualified, after learning from this site & other Bio techs.

I now, get them to wash their hands, anti fungal, file, cuticles (cuticle remover, push back & use cutistone) dual cleanse, lightly buff with grey file, use the brush part of the sapphire tool to remove any bits from the nail plate, scrub-fresh (a CND product used to temporarily dehydrate the nail to aid adhesion) then on with my application.

Some techs prefer to dry prep (ie no cuticle remover)

Xx

Washed hands with hygienic elegance -
Dual cleanse
Anti fungal spray -
Cuticle remover
Shape
Shine off nail with pink teardrop file - No. (only file lightly if theres lose flaky nails bits)
Cutistone lightly around cuticle area. (I will upload a Youtube Clip to show you exactly how much cuticle work you should be doing, I am sure what your doing doesnt touch the ice-berg...)

What you are doing is all of the above, but in honesty it's all too busy & needlessly time consuming. Personally I would spray the ladies nails with anti fungal. Then proceed to apply cuticle remover. I would work with a metal pusher tool or your welcome to go in with a cutistone. Then once done get the client to wash their hands... Once washed & dried then proceed with your usual process below (keeping in mind the comments I've added) .....

Dual cleanse - I would wash hands now to remove the cuticle remover oils!
Vitamin dose - (are you putting this on a lint wipe, smudging on then off?)
Executive base in middle of nail - take shine off with grey sponge (OLD TRAINING. A little is put upon a nail, then once dried the shine of ONLY the Executive base was removed. If your ladies nails are dry or corrugated this must never be applied. Personally I no longer use this EB because it causes gels to lift !
Dual cleanse (All this Dual cleansing must be taking you hell of a long time to complete your service).
Overlay -
Clear base gel - Yes
1 strawb French - Yes
2 french white - yes
Uv top coat - What are your clients nails like? You may need Flexi Gel or S Gel as a finish.
Dual cleanse - yes
Cuticle oil -yes

Hello Sleeping Beauty. Thanks for your reply.
So what you're advising to do is as follows;

Prep.
Anti fungal spray
Cuticle remover
Metal or cutistone work
Shape
Wash hands
Vit dose (smudged on with lint free)
Exec base in middle of nail. (How do you know it is causing the gel to lift, and why do we get it in our kit if this is so???)
Dual cleanse now or not??

Overlay.
Base gel
Strawb x1
French white x2
Flexi gel OR S (soft) gel. IF clients nails are soft for example which one do I use?? Build apex.
THEN UV top coat.
Dual cleanse
Cuticle oil.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back