Bio Sculpture or Calgel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyrtipinni

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I´m a beauty therapist and nail technician from Iceland :)

I have been doing nails for two years now. At first I used the Professionails system, but a few months ago I switched to Bio Sculpture. I am very happy with the switch and could keep on using Bio Sculpture forever...if it wasn´t for the high price. One 25 ml jar of clear gel is sold at £97 up here. So I thought maybe I should try the Calgel system instead.

Could any of you Calgel users please tell me approximately how much you pay for the gels? And could you also tell me if I need to take a Calgel course in order to get to buy their products?

Hiya...as far as i know the prices are about the same..and yes you do have to have been trained with calgel to purchase there products...HTH xxx

Welcome to the nail geek site!! How cool to have someone from Iceland (no pun intended).

Why not look at Brisa gels form Creative. They are fantastic to use. Fantastic to look at and fantastic value too. I think these south african gels are WAY off the mark price wise and they're not giving you anything revolutionary.

Please Don't believe the hype attached to them ... they are NO safer to use NO kinder to the natural nail than any other product of any type and ALL nail products are organic so there is no difference there either. Some may think this is clever marketing but it is all untrue.

There is lots of info here on the site re these products so do a search and you will be able to read many many posts about it.

Once again welcome and enjoy the site.

Welcome to the Geek site :)
I would imagine that you would have to do a conversion course (at the very least) to be able to use any reputable companies products.
I'm having fab results (practising) with brisa gel, I love it.
Is it possible for you to check out the prices of the popular gels that are sold locally to you before deciding whether to use a particular one?

As you have used bio sculpture and they are from the same "family" you may be able to pay for an assesment class, which is a lot cheaper, you could phone them and explain the situation and see if its possible.

Hello and welcome to the board.
I used to use Calgel but stopped around 2 years ago, however just last week they sent me a form to enrole for a refresher course :eek: a current price list was included so to answer your question a 25ml clear pot of Calgel is £70.35 and that doesnt include VAT.
I would consider some of the other gels on the market, I know Brisa and Akzentz get very good reviews.

Thank you all for the quick replies!

The main reason I thought of Calgel is that I had irritation problems with the file-off gels. I could only do 1-2 rebalances / infills per day, and after that my eyes wore swollen and my throat sore :rolleyes: So I have to stick with the soak off gels. With Bio Sculpture I can easily do 5 rebalances in a row without problems.

But I´m quite disappointed with the Calgel prices, I guess I´ll have to find something else. Any suggestions on that?

have you got a dust extraction unit in your naildesk or are you mobile?

ValencianNails said:

No I don´t have a dust extractoin unit. I´m told those things are uncomfortably loud to work with all day :|

Brisa Gels from Creative Nail Design are hypoallergenic, which means it is less likely to cause allergic reaction.

Brisa contains no acrylates, formaldehyde or gluteraldehyde in it which are the common irritants contained in other gels.

HTH

ValencianNails said:
Another thought, did you use a dusk mask ???? not having any fans going, these will just swirl the dust around in the air and in your breathing zone.....I use a water spray, set on a fine mist spray and spray it up in the directly above you, this brings down any small dust particles.....
Just a thought xxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Another thought, did you use a dusk mask ???? not having any fans going, these will just swirl the dust around in the air and in your breathing zone.....I use a water spray, set on a fine mist spray and spray it up in the directly above you, this brings down any small dust particles.....
Just a thought xxx

Thanks for the kind advice. I did try using a mask but the dust still kept irritating my eyes, and also it´s uncomfortable wearing that thing all day :o I also used water mist, but I would have had to do it so often that my work took a lot longer time.

I have my dust extractor build in my desk and it just makes a humming sound..so its not loud at all..I wear a dust mask too...and use the spray , it only takes a second to give the air a quick spray........In my book, No dust is good to breath in......it is part of our health and saftey and working smart code....
There are some great Air filtration units on the web, and they are all very quiet to run.....
just a thought xxx

Latest posts

Back