Bleach 101!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy020913

Reaction score
I feel I need to educate myself about bleach and blonde hair as I just don't understand it and I always seem to hear conflicting info . knowledge is power and Id like to know what's happening to my hair

My hairdresser tells me they use loreal platinium on my hair which isn't a bleach ?? Is this right? They sometimes add ash because I prefer cool tones .

I love the White baby blonde colour and I never get that even though it's all I ever ask for . I do have fairly blonde hair but it's just not the White baby clean highlighted colour I desire . I'm always having to use toners or purple shampoos because my hair likes to go warm Which I hate , but then I think the toners make it dull . Ahhhh !!! My base colour is a dirty dark blonde so why isn't it going nice and pale :(

If bleach isn't being used should it ? Will it wreck my hair ? ( loreal platinium hasn't left it great anyway )

I am considering changing hairdressers but think if I have a little clue what I'm talking about then there can be no misunderstanding hopefully resulting in me actually achieving the colour I want .

Thanks in advice

Without seeing your natural colour its hard to tell. But I'd say yes... your hairdresser needs to use bleach (dont attempt this yourself, unless you.want to be bald) and possibly change hairdressers aswell

Platinium IS a bleach product. Its just in a paste form rather than a powder.

Everybodies hair tends to go warm. Our hair has naturally warm undertones that we cant get rid of. Its just inevitable. Everybodies hair WILL go warm.

Of course with toning we can neutralise this warmth. But the durability of the toner will depend on how often you wash your hair and what kind of product the salon use to tone.

Only use violet shampoos ONCE a week depending on how often you wash your hair. If you're using it too often you'll just make the problem worse because the pigment builds but and it does just end up dull. Use it less often and leave it on longer. If you wash your hair 2-7 (i don't recommend washing your hair everyday) times a week then use the violet shampoo once a week, if you wash your hair once a week use the violet shampoo every 2-3 weeks.

I'd also suggest, as funtimefranko did; going to another hairdresser. A fresh mind and pair of eyes on your hair may be what you need.

Ash isnt always the solution. Ashy colours tend to appear darker and sometimes dull.

Also dont attempt any colouring apart from the violet shampooing yourself. Always get your hair colour by a technician, especially for something like this.

Sorry if you're mind boggled

I feel I need to educate myself about bleach and blonde hair as I just don't understand it and I always seem to hear conflicting info . knowledge is power and Id like to know what's happening to my hair

My hairdresser tells me they use loreal platinium on my hair which isn't a bleach ?? Is this right? They sometimes add ash because I prefer cool tones .

I love the White baby blonde colour and I never get that even though it's all I ever ask for . I do have fairly blonde hair but it's just not the White baby clean highlighted colour I desire . I'm always having to use toners or purple shampoos because my hair likes to go warm Which I hate , but then I think the toners make it dull . Ahhhh !!! My base colour is a dirty dark blonde so why isn't it going nice and pale :(

If bleach isn't being used should it ? Will it wreck my hair ? ( loreal platinium hasn't left it great anyway )

I am considering changing hairdressers but think if I have a little clue what I'm talking about then there can be no misunderstanding hopefully resulting in me actually achieving the colour I want .

Thanks in advice

I THINK what your hairdresser means is, PLATINIUM, (pink), DOES NOT CONTAIN AMMONIA..
It's a great product, and I use it ALOT.
Perhaps leave it on a little longer,(I believe you can leave it on for up to 50 minute's),
As much as is possible, (and it should be if you are a blonde), I prefer to lift to the desired level, rather than rely on a toner to sort the tone out.
Have you tried the new Hi lift, 'ICE' range by L'Oreal....they are HIGH LIFT 'TINTS' with a cool reflect.:)

Last edited:
I THINK what your hairdresser means is, PLATINIUM, (pink), DOES NOT CONTAIN AMMONIA..
It's a great product, and I use it ALOT.
Perhaps leave it on a little longer,(I believe you can leave it on for up to 50 minute's),
As much as is possible, (and it should be if you are a blonde), I prefer to lift to the desired level, rather than 'rely' on a 'toner' to sort the tone out.
Have you tried the new Hi lift, 'ICE' range by L'Oreal....they are HIGH LIFT 'TINTS' with a cool reflect.:)

The op said Platinium.

I dont feel that toners are something we rely on. They are to add tone, cause lets face it... Not many people want raw bleached hair

The op said Platinium.

I dont feel that toners are something we rely on. They are to add tone, cause lets face it... Not many people want raw bleached hair

Sure...., no one likes that look :eek:. I just meant, where possible, I'd try to reach a pastel tone.

Sure...., no one likes that look :eek:. I just meant, where possible, I'd try to reach a pastel tone.

Oh god yeah i know what you mean, i think sometimes people take bleach off far too early because they think its done; they rinse off and its bright yellow then have a hell of a hard time trying to tone it with a level 10. Some ash users will struggle indefinitely too!

Thanks for your replys guys . OMG I would never colour my own hair . Learnt that the hard way at 17 !!!!! Lesson learnt very early on . Yellow and snapped hair is not a good look . I am naturally blonde but dark blonde . Trouble with finding a new hairdresser is there are SOOOOOOOO many bad 1s . I only wish there was some way of policing hairdressers rather than having to learn some are terrible by having your hair ruined . will bleach always snap your hair if it's lifted to a pale coLour ? And if I find a new hairdresser and they don't use loreal what do I ask for ? Thanks again

Thanks for your replys guys . OMG I would never colour my own hair . Learnt that the hard way at 17 !!!!! Lesson learnt very early on . Yellow and snapped hair is not a good look . I am naturally blonde but dark blonde . Trouble with finding a new hairdresser is there are SOOOOOOOO many bad 1s . I only wish there was some way of policing hairdressers rather than having to learn some are terrible by having your hair ruined . will bleach always snap your hair if it's lifted to a pale coLour ? And if I find a new hairdresser and they don't use loreal what do I ask for ? Thanks again

I wish we could police too, trust me!

Nooo bleach will NOT damage your hair if used correctly. Theres such a misconception about bleach, overuse damages the hair, putting bleach over bleach with a high percentage developer (developer is the cream mixed with bleach) will damage the hair. A good hairdresser will always use a low percentage developer with bleach for something like this.

It doesn't matter whether they use L'Oreal or not, for you as a client, its about the look thats achieved, not how its achieved (to an extent obviously). They'll know how to get you there with their line of products.
I'd recommend you take a picture in of what you want... We love visual aids, gets us on the same page as the client.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back