Bleach and Chemo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey! New to geek but have browsed for years soaking up all the great shared experiences got my nails and makeup.

Today though I have a question I hope one of you can help with as it's outside my expertise! My friend was recently diagnosed with cancer and had started chemo. Her hair is thinning but she still had a pretty full head and no bald patches. You're told you're not supposed to bleach or dye your hair when receiving chemo but she's desperate to have her roots done. She's probs a natural base 7/8 lifted to a 10 with highlights. Her hairdresser has told her she'll be fine as she's fair anyway and her hair lifts easily, so the bleach won't be on her hair long and low % peroxide so minimal damage can be caused.

IMO, this is wrong and it should be left, but I'm no hairdresser! My mate bless her is do desperate I think she will risk it. She thinks it'll all be gone before long and she wants it to look good while it's still here.

Hair geeks, what are your experiences with customers who are currently undergoing chemo. Would you highlight (and potentially tone) my friends hair? I dont want to undermine her hairdresser but I'm worried she's taking a risk and am just asking for a second opinion I guess!

Thanks in advance

Just bumping this. Her appointment is tomorrow so hopefully someone with some knowledge or experience with chemo patients will have some advice, even if to reassure me that she's ok to to get her hair done tomorrow. Although all advice I have read seems to suggest she should not have her hair done, her colourist seems to think otherwise and I'm really concerned it's going to make her hair all fall out or break off or something :confused: :Scared:

NO NO NO!

No serious professional would consider doing this. Chemo affects the hair and scalp and you cannot predict how it will react to the chemicals in the bleach, peroxide, colour etc.

As a matter of interest, has the hairdresser asked your friend to sign a waiver or said something along the lines of' it's at your own risk'?

She has not asked her to sign a waiver. A very helpful geek pm'd me with some info too and I'm going through with my mate today.She's a sensible girl who has had a moment of not thinking things through properly which is understandable in her situation. I just don't want her making rash decisions which may have negative results and leave her feeling worse. At least whatever decision she makes she now has some different perspectives and I'm hoping she doesn't get it done. I think she'll make the choice I think is right, as the advice I have receives reassures me its not just me being over cautious.

Latest posts

Back