Bleaching hair at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darhling

Reaction score
Hello all!

My natural hair colour ( I think, it has been years) is a dark blonde, light brown, the roots looks to have a bit of ash in them, but I have been told previously that my hair has lots of warm pigment. My hair is also thick and coarse with a wave to it.

I have been dying it with otc dyes for years, a dark brown level 3, but with the build up, the bottom half looks almost black. (see pic 1).

I want to get a nice golden, medium blonde with lighter highlights (see two final pics). And I am attempting this at home. The reason for this is that I simply cannot afford a salon job, even though I know it is what I should do. I have prepared myself that I might end up orange..

I have used Affinage Eraser on the hair twice and it has taken a lot of the dye out, less so in the bottom half. (See other pics) I am giving it a week, then have one more go with the eraser.

Now, my question is, is the bleach you can by at Sallys simply all the same? I have researched quite a bit and will only use a 20 vol. But are some bleaches better than others? If yes, which ones are great?

Toner wise, I have been suggested to use wella colour fresh 8/81 after bleaching, before adding a blonde colour, to counter act orange and yellow.

Pic 1: Before removing dye

After using Afinage Eraser two times:

Wishful result:

Thank you all in advance!

Babe, you have zero chance of getting it right stabbing around in the dark. If you can't afford a salon job, then go to a training college. Please.
I'd hate to see a 'my hair is orange mush' thread on here next week.

I see you are based in London, get in touch with Wella Studio in London - they will be looking for models for corrective colouring and their master colour programme and your hair would be perfect and would of course not r the same price as a salon job.

All the best

Thank you both.

Latest posts

Back