Bleaching over highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_amz99

Reaction score
I have always dyed my hair at home for the past 10 years.

In the summer I had my hair highlighted with blonde in a salon
About 3 months ago I had a funny 5 minutes and dyed it brown/purple a live xxl one. I instantly regretted it.
I have done nothing to it since but I would like to put highlights in again over the top of now, bleach and brown.

Can you please advise if this is possible or will it not go the right colour/make my hair fall out?!

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

I have always dyed my hair at home for the past 10 years.

In the summer I had my hair highlighted with blonde in a salon
About 3 months ago I had a funny 5 minutes and dyed it brown/purple a live xxl one. I instantly regretted it.
I have done nothing to it since but I would like to put highlights in again over the top of now, bleach and brown.

Can you please advise if this is possible or will it not go the right colour/make my hair fall out?!

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Go for a consultation. Make sure they strand test as Live XXL sometimes reacts

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks. I was hoping to do it at home again as can't really afford to go to a salon and I have a baby who definitely won't enjoy sitting still for long enough for me to have it done.
I am worried more about the bleach over the existing bleach as a bad colour I can deal with but my hair falling out or breaking high up I can't lol

Seriously, don't do it.

Live XXL contains ingredients that often react with other hair chemicals and can result in hair heating up, fizzing and then breaking off.

Hairdressers usually test a piece of hair that's had XXL on it before applying further lightening or colouring products to it.

It really is considered by hairdressers as one of the worst products to neutralise.

As you've already bleached your hair previously, (especially if you used off the shelf bleaching products), it's likely to be quite fragile. When salons lighten your hair, they will carefully select products to minimise damage such as a low level peroxide solution.

I'm guessing you will probably want to do it anyway but at least experiment on a small cutting first, otherwise, you'll be wearing a hat all winter and the following summer too. ;-)

Hmm ok sounds like I've made a real cock up really then :(

The bleach that's on It now was done in a salon but I think I will definitely test a hidden piece before I cover my head In it lol.

Just out of interest, how do you get away with bleaching over bleach when you do roots as tht covers some of the already dyed hair as well?

Could I lighten it by using a hair dye remover like colour b4 and then putting a light colour on top of that or is that just as bad?

Could I lighten it by using a hair dye remover like colour b4 and then putting a light colour on top of that or is that just as bad?

GO TO A PROFESSIONAL!

I'm not a hair geek, but I have an anecdote about a friend who once stuck some Jerome Russell (terrible OTC bleach) over her Cosmic Blue XXL.

Result:

128075_front500.jpg

She had to cut out the orange-y green, scrubbing pad textured hair and wear scarves in her hair for months, it was so bad for her! After crying about it for ages, she could eventually laugh about it but it was terrible at the time! I know it's expensive, so maybe look out for some local hairdressing colleges, or model nights?

Good luck x

GO TO A PROFESSIONAL!

As I explained I am looking to do my hair myself. Mostly due to cost and having my baby with me 24/7 but also as I like to do it myself.
I have come on here for some advice from professionals to get an idea of what steps to take.

I am aware that what I want may not be possible or may not be possible from home and If that is the case I will just make the best of what I can

Please don't reply if you just wish to be rude.

I'm not a hair geek, but I have an anecdote about a friend who once stuck some Jerome Russell (terrible OTC bleach) over her Cosmic Blue XXL.

Result:

128075_front500.jpg

She had to cut out the orange-y green, scrubbing pad textured hair and wear scarves in her hair for months, it was so bad for her! After crying about it for ages, she could eventually laugh about it but it was terrible at the time! I know it's expensive, so maybe look out for some local hairdressing colleges, or model nights?

Good luck x

Eeek! How awful for her!!
That's the brand I was looking at getting as well lol

As I explained I am looking to do my hair myself. Mostly due to cost and having my baby with me 24/7 but also as I like to do it myself.
I have come on here for some advice from professionals to get an idea of what steps to take.

I am aware that what I want may not be possible or may not be possible from home and If that is the case I will just make the best of what I can

Please don't reply if you just wish to be rude.

Please understand We have all spent £1000's and yrs of training to know how to do our trade and will not be responsible to give advice to a non professional WHY?? A, we can't see the condition of your hair, B, can't feel it, C, can't test it, D, not there to correct what will turn into a frazzled mess if you attempt it yourself,
If cash is tight, go yo a local training college where you will pay a fraction of the cost :) but PLEASE don't attempt that yourself :)

Hun, you will not get a professional explaining a complicated colour correction to a none professional, the reason being the damage that can be caused, and the amount of people we correct after their home correction jobs :( and most of the time it takes ages to get to the desired result due to strength and what they have done whereas if they had come to us in the first place it would have been a lot better for both parties!

I've never understood why people don't invest in their hair... Its on show everyday, it's how people recognise you, if you can't afford to have it done, save up and treat yourself.

Don't try this correction yourself!!

Latest posts

Back