Boss from hell! - Can I liberate my clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm an easy going employer who doesn't take the p with my staff but i have been stitched up a couple times by staff leaving and setting up on their own and contacting the salon clients haven taken their details with them on the sly......

i was fuming but at the same time i believe in karma...

act professional , leave with your dignity and integrity in tact and your head held high.

if your clients want you they will seek you out, and if you are good you will build up a new client base where ever you go .

The only person I have heard of in my town that did have some kind of agreement was a salon owner. When she sold on her business she couldn't do any clients for 2 years.
Anyway like I say I am new to this. I don't think employers are bad and employees are great. I've had my home salon for a year and I have a lot of regular clients. If I took a job and my clients came there and then I moved on again at some point I would be disappointed I wouldn't be allowed to tell them. I think it's totally different if the employee had been put through training etc by the employer. Then I think there should be something in place.

That's a non compete clause and very common when a business is sold.

It is normally you can't set up a new business in xx miles of the original business for xx years. It shouldn't mean she couldn't do clients as if she went to work somewhere else as an employee this shouldn't be the case but of course it depends on how good the contract was at time of sale.

So ridiculous that you keep defending this ;(

Last edited:
So ridiculous that you keep defending this ;(

Agree

But it's good because we've dicussed indepth a subject that we all feel strongly about that hasn't had a gool old airing before lol

I'm sure most owners are like me and at some point have been screwed over in the past - its hard to get over and the fear too is that if they are happy to behave with lack of morals then they will be quick to try and damage your reputation - a reputation which has involve blood sweat and tears to develop and build.

I was gutted when it happened to me - in a very unexpected way that I only discovered by accident - totally gobsmacked actually - but with time I learned from it, grew, became stronger, a bit more wary and definitely more confident to tackle subjects head on and remind the team that if they leave - those customers belong to my salon and they can't be poaching them.

I have a great team - I'm good to them and appreciate them - but I won't leave myself open to being screwed over in business again

Well said LoveLeeLady, i know exactly how you feel at this moment! On the flip side i would never have got a chance to employ my new staff member who has a great can do attitude!
Plus customers then tell you the truth and ones who left without explanation return and tell you why!
Then it hits you it is a blessing in disguise x makes us stronger, AGREE x

Sorry to jump in here but thought I would share my experience with you, I have recently moved from a salon that I worked in for 4 years, 3 years employed and 1 year self employed after been asked to change. I have left now as they changed back again to employment (that's a different story) You can not imagine the difficulties I have experienced with leaving and informing my clients! Firstly it was awkward as we all know normally you are not allowed to let people know So caused an atmosphere and immediately compromised the friendship between myself and salon owner :( because of this I left a few days early and needed to let my clients know who I still had booked in however the salon owner had got there first an withheld client details from me, however once we had moved to self employed we all knew that these clients were now a part of my buisness and not of that of the salon any more. Also my contract stated that it was my responsibility to inform clients if I was unavailable and would not be moved to another stylist! I suppose the moral is. This topic is never going to be easy in any situation and like in my experience be the worst time of it all. Sometimes it's just easier to leave well alone as always the contract is a contract and can not be breached on either side but once broken by either is no longer law abiding in any sence to protect either .

Professionalism is always the priority!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I am a salon owner and my staff are most important asset to my business . I take time choosing them and training them. I treat they fair pay good wages and respect them . If staff are happy in their work clients Will notice and enjoy visiting the salon. If they do choose to leave that is their choice i wish them well. ( i am lucky they don't often leave) you carnt blame someone for wanting to better themselves . Its lovely when old staff pop in for a coffee and a catch up. If someone wants to leave why make it unpleasant because that Will have make am atmosphere in the salon. Its better to work with your competition than make them an enemy x

I am a salon owner and my staff are most important asset to my business . I take time choosing them and training them. I treat they fair pay good wages and respect them . If staff are happy in their work clients Will notice and enjoy visiting the salon. If they do choose to leave that is their choice i wish them well. ( i am lucky they don't often leave) you carnt blame someone for wanting to better themselves . Its lovely when old staff pop in for a coffee and a catch up. If someone wants to leave why make it unpleasant because that Will have make am atmosphere in the salon. Its better to work with your competition than make them an enemy x

what a lovely post :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That's lovely!!
No wonder you don't see many staff leave,you sound like the ideal person to work for who respects and appriciates their staff,which in return will make your staff respect you and your business :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Latest posts

Back