Boss making me pay for training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel93

Reaction score
Hi, I just started my first beauty job 3 months ago so have no experience with salons. I have since been on some training but my boss has made me pay for it, this was product training so nothing i could make money out of doing from home. Now she wants me to go on more training and pay for half of it myself, I've told her twice i cant pay for it but its like talking to a brick wall and she booked me on it anyway. She doesn't contribute to travel costs or pay me any wage for the days i am in training and is now saying she will take the money out of my wage and tips if i can't pay. I am really trying to save up money to go on a camouflage make up course at the end of the year and really cant pay out this kind of money for training that i don't want to do. Would really appreciate some advice.

Also i had to have my own liability insurance before i started this job, not sure if this is normal or not?

Thanks xx

I'm pretty sure that she cannot withhold wages without consent - it might be worth contacting an employment advisor for some help.

or there are some pretty knowledgeable geeks on here so hopefully someone with a more definitive answer will be along

fwiw I think it's bloody outrageous sending you on a course and asking you to pay for it. I've never been asked to do anything like that in any industry I've worked in (and there have been a few). If you ask to attend a course for your benefit then sure, but not and your employers instigation!

My staff pay for their own insurance, price cards and training and travel bacause they are self employed and pay me to work in the salon.

I get them product training for free- because if I've paid the company lots to have the brand in the salon they always want the salon to sell their product and 9 times out of 10 they just give free training.

She's taking the mick if shes employing you but making you pay for your training upfront, esp if you can't afford it and have told her. I'd get my pay and get out of there. She shouldn't have employed you if she can't afford you.

She has no right to withold wages for training, contact your local Citizens advice and they will be able to give you sound advice. Sounds to me like you should look for another job.......

I've had many employees over the years and self-employed staff aswell. product training is free and I've never come across any that I've had to pay for.

When I have a member of staff thats employed or selfemployed that I want trained I always pay, unless they are training off their own back, and I get them to sign a contract that the cost needs to be repaid if they leave within a year of training. This covers myself from training staff and them leaving weeks later......

Sounds like you're being treated very unfairly and I'm almost certain it isn't corrct for her to be doing such things.....like I said get FREE legal advice from Citizens advice...

My staff pay for their own insurance, price cards and training and travel bacause they are self employed and pay me to work in the salon.

not disagreeing with you but if they are self employed they are not your staff...could confuse other geeks.

Hi, I just started my first beauty job 3 months ago so have no experience with salons. I have since been on some training but my boss has made me pay for it, this was product training so nothing i could make money out of doing from home. Now she wants me to go on more training and pay for half of it myself, I've told her twice i cant pay for it but its like talking to a brick wall and she booked me on it anyway. She doesn't contribute to travel costs or pay me any wage for the days i am in training and is now saying she will take the money out of my wage and tips if i can't pay. I am really trying to save up money to go on a camouflage make up course at the end of the year and really cant pay out this kind of money for training that i don't want to do. Would really appreciate some advice.

Also i had to have my own liability insurance before i started this job, not sure if this is normal or not?

Thanks xx

Do you have a employment contract? this should all be addressed in the contract. If not, I suggest you get one and discuss your training requirements.

Some employers will want you to pay for everything and others will pay for everything. Some may pay initially but if you leave with X months you may have to pay the training costs back.

This is why an employment contract is essential.

It's pretty standard practice to have written into a contract that if u leave within x amount of months after training u have to pay it back! This is because we would all take up a job for a few weeks if we were getting paid to go on free training and could leave our job at the salon the next day! But I do not agree with what she is doing and I'm pretty sure it's not legal! Get yourself some advice, and let her know what u have been told! She is prob just trying it on! Good luck x

I think that's a bit harsh of ur boss. I pay all my staffs training/travel costs & if it falls on there day off they get an extra days hol. If they leave within 12 mth of training they r contracted to pay it back.

She's def taking the Mick & I'd b questioning wether she's worth working for as what other unreasonable things is she gona expect from u. Good luck :)

Have you got receipts for the product training you have been on? If so then you can claim them as a tax deduction. If no receipts, are you sure that there are fees to pay as most companies do free product training as they want you to buy and use their products - sounds a bit off to me - are you sure she's not scamming you.

If she is requiring you to do product training then she should be paying for it if there is any fee as she is demanding that you do it. If you are wanting to do courses yourself then you should pay for it.

hi what area are you in we have goverment funding for NVQ level 2 nail services if you are interested, we are in Hertford you can call me at Aspire to Beauty 07711221563 kay x

Thanks so much for the feedback, only just realized people replied! Yeah I quit the job after she got angry with me for confronting her over the situation and now have a much better job working in a spa with a professional and experienced boss!

Although it was a bad experience it taught me very quickly what is acceptable for an employer to ask from me.

hi what area are you in we have goverment funding for NVQ level 2 nail services if you are interested, we are in Hertford you can call me at Aspire to Beauty 07711221563 kay x
Thanks so much Kay, unfortunately i live in berkshire but will definately look around for something similar in my area :D

Thanks for the advice,
Rachel x

Latest posts

Back