Bridal make up help please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a bride booked in on Thursday for nails and the practice for her make up. This is the first bridal booking I've ever had for make up, actually its the first actual client booking for make up at all ! :eek:

I was just wondering, as I've drawn a bit of a blank, what are the general rules for a bride? I am sure I've heard that mineral make ups are a no no?

What have people found to be the best eye colours to use? Also is waterproof mascara must?

Thanks,
Louise

Hiya Louise

People have different opinions on mineral makeup for bridal as some of the ingredients can cause a reflection with flash photography, but there are some products that help to combat this with mineral makeup.

I use waterproof mascara on the day of the wedding but dont always use it on the trial.

One way of giving the bride a choice is to do the face in 2 halves during the trial and different products/colours on each side.

What product ranges do you have in?

Thanks for your reply,

I have the SBC training kit for the time being, its not the best but its done me okay so far. My friend who's also a therapist has offered to lend me her complete kit of mineral make up but I'm a bit funny about other peoples kit incase of infection etc.

I've done a couple to day and a few evening make ups on friends and family who've been chuffed, also said the SBC felt really nice, I'm not sure if thats a good thing or if they meant its better than collection 2000 or something!

Has anyone successfully used colours on the eyes of a bride or are natural colours usually used?

Most of my brides tend to go with natural colours as they weren't used to wearing makeup, but I have used it to help their best features with how I applied it. I will see if I can find some good links for you.

Cheers for all your help hun,

A nail client of mine who I once did evening make up when training recomended her to come to me, I was just worried about letting her down!

I've been told this lady rarely wears make up and has fantastic skin so it may be fine. I just worry!

Thanks again xxx

just take your time hun, keep talking to the client, keep it relaxed and let her be involved in colour choices, recommend a couple apply a bit get her looking in the mirror.
Have confidence in yourself!
I don't know if borrowing someone elses kit is a great idea, i would stick to what you know for this one.
When doing bridal trials i have a face map set up so i can list products used at the end, or as you go, also an eye diagram to record areas for colours. This just makes it so much quicker on the day.
Also I spend alot of time on my corrective work, hth xxx

Hi ya, what I would add is

do you know what time of day she is getting married, as this will affect the type of makeup you apply for example dont put on her makeup with a sheen or dewiness as the face will look to shiny. You would need a lightweight foundation and a matt powder. The blush should have a more matt finish too, creme blush is always a good choice(but wont work on oily skin). Make sure the eye makeup isnt too dark else the photographs will look like dark holes

Also, what effect would she like dramatic/classic or trendy, if you have dark/emphasis on the eyes keep the lips neautral and if you have eyes neutral have lips bold...never the two together

Hope this helps

Thank you everyone, I'm going to use some of what you've said to tell the client, to sound like I know what I'm on about!

I was trying to think of a good reason not to suggest dark eyeshadows and I couldn't think of a valid one but thank you, I have one now!

One last thing that got me thinking was, when doing the make up on the day, what position do you get the client to lie / sit in? I was trained to apply make up on the bed but was thinking if I'm, doing the make up in her house with loads of other people buzzing about is this what you still do? xx

I've spoken to my friend who says she had always applied bridal make up with the bride seated? She also said this should be done after the dress and hair is done so the dress does not have to be put on the head after make up?

I agree but what is make up is spilt on the dress? I've got myself all confused now! What do you do? xx

i do the clients sat up (thats on the few weddings ive done) i just covered the clients dress in some big towels and also make sure you tap off any excess from the brush
hth

Previously I have always done it when the hair is almost finished. But, I have always done it in the hair salon, so the bride did not have her dress either.

What I would do if I was at the brides home is to put a gown on over her dress incase of any spillage. I find it easier to apply the makeup if the fringe is pushed away from the face so the hairdresser has then finished the fringe after the makeup has been applied.

I have always done the client sitting up too.

Thanks everyone, sitting up it is! The hairdresses will be there at the same time as me so I guess I'll know more after speaking to her.

Louise xx

I always try to do make up like theresa said, just before the hair is finished, don't let that hairdresser loose with hairspray til you're done ! xx:)

On my course, the tutor (who is very successful, does make up for Levis jeans ads, strictly come dancing, etc) said ALWAYS keep the make up away from the dress, never do make up with the dress on, and I have to say I agree. The bride will usually have helpers to get the dress on anyway, so they will hold it away from her face and hair when it's fitted.

Also, we were taught to do the make up with the client sitting up. If you ever watch programmes where they show make up being done, it's always with the client sitting up. If this becomes a regular wage earner for you, I'd suggest buying one of the tall director chairs, this allows you to apply make up while standing upright, much more comfortable!

Latest posts

Back