Brittle Acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hi there

wonder if anyone can help.

I have done approx 15 sets of l&p all fine, all needed infills doing after 2-3 weeks as usual but the last set i did she rang me after 3 days to say the acrylic is very brittle and is breaking off and she needs her infills done.

She did say that this happened the last time she had acrylic nails done by a salon. she is coming tomorrow morning. should i do the infills or do you think it will happen again. and why is it happening?

kizz

kizzycat said:
Hi there
wonder if anyone can help.
I have done approx 15 sets of l&p all fine, all needed infills doing after 2-3 weeks as usual but the last set i did she rang me after 3 days to say the acrylic is very brittle and is breaking off and she needs her infills done.
She did say that this happened the last time she had acrylic nails done by a salon. she is coming tomorrow morning. should i do the infills or do you think it will happen again. and why is it happening?
kizz

Hi

You don't mention which product you are using, and which product she had before. It is possible for the polymer to become brittle, however it's unlikely if you are using a good brand product. Aftercare is extremely important, the use of a good oil (like solar oil) to help plastise the enhancment.

Brittle would be indicated by lots of stress cracks and little lines running throughout the enhancement. The only likely cause of this would be seriously powerful solvents...

Without examining the nails, it's almost impossible to really know whats going on. She may be describing brittle product, but may have been heavy handed and chipped and broken them.... You'll have to check them out to know for sure. HTH

i agree a good cuticle oil (i use solar oil) is a must to keep enhancements looking their best.

Perhaps she is on medication or extremely heavy-handed.

Hi Guys

thanks for responding. I have not actually seen her yet as she had to cancel through illness. I have also spoken to Juss on this and she was very helpful and also mentioned how solar oil could help and also an insight as to what the problem may be. I use millenium own product and she did not have any enhancements on for at least 3 months. her nails were ok condition before. She has POCS Polysystic Ovarian Cyst Syndrome (I think thats what it stands for lol) she also has a problem with her hormones and produces excess hair and is extremely overweight for which she is taking medication for. As this had happened before at a registered salon using good products and they went exactly the same way I started to think this might not be my fault (not that i am any type of expert) I sort of come up (with the expert help of Juss) that this could be down to the excess hormones that she is producing. Ihave just read a similar article about someone who is having IVF and that is also hormone related. perhaps there could be a reasoning behind it. i put them on on Saturday and cant remember if it was tues or wed she needed them seeing to and has also since lost 2. seeing her tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. i will let you know how i get on.

Kizzy

Other causes of L&P aging (becoming brittle) are:

Working with too wet a mix ratio.

Filing with a heavy grit abrasive on a new set of enhancements - for instance when 'finishing' and shaping the nails.

Client not moisturizing the product every day (SolarOil).

Client having hands in water and solvents and not moisturizing afterwards.

I do not think that her hormone level, or her weight problem, or her general health would affect the product in the way she describes. I would look at the other causes first.

Hi
I am not sure if this will help or not but I also suffer with P.C.O.S. and I am also over weight due to the hormone inbalance that P.C.O.S causes. I have had no problem with any nail enhansment past or present due to my condidtion. I have always visited nail salons that soley use Creative products, I always use my solar oil (once a day at home and twice a day when I was on holiday) and i always use gloves when cleaning. At the end of the day I genraly respect my nails and respect the techs work. :hug:

I hope this helped, if not ignore my ramblings! lol:o

Latest posts

Back