C Curve sticks...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just purchased some of these sticks, as when i did my Ez Flow training my trainer used them & i was impressed by them.

Just wondering do any of you use them & if so what tips can you give me for using them!

Also when i have done a sculptured nail & i want to mould it (use the c curve sticks) how long do i leave it before i touch the nail. As sometimes i go to pinch the side walls & they are still a bit tacky! Is there any rules for this?

Thanks xxx :green:

I was also interested in the C-curve sticks, I shall watch this thread.
Sorry I couldn't help

Just wondering if any of you other geeks have any opinions pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

I have a tip when using these....don't drive them into the tip of your client's finger, they're quite sharp lol....I'm sure Sparklepink will be able to add something when she comes on cos she uses them all the time!

I want to learn how to use these as well as i do like the look they give to the nail.

I just worry about pinching too hard.

I would like to know how to use them for competitions but I don't think they give a natural look.

I may be way off base with this, but arent they bad for your nails???

Only if you apply too much pressure to the sides of the nail, as this can cause discomfort for one thing and damage the nail plate.

This is why i would prefer to use them if shown by someone who knows what they are doing.

When using c curve sticks/dowels you need to really know your product and its setting stages.... if you dont then you really shouldnt start pinching nails yet.... but it will take time and really working on your product application with your educator will help :)
its a lot easier to show how to pinch than explain it... its all abt timing...if you get your timing wrong then this can make your c curve un even, cause the product nt to hold the shape, cause the client discomfort etc....
why do we pinch nail??.... anyone know??... well it helps make the nail stronger and give the nail a better structure.... the only why i can think to explain this is to compare the nail to a bridge... an arched bridge (a pinched nail) is stronger than a flat bridge (non pinched nail)... i hope that makes sense.... i could show you with some card and you will see what i mean

when starting to pinch a nail when the product is at the rite stage... its moulding stage...
...depending on what products you use this will depend on when you go in to pinch a nail.....with ezflow competion powders have a longer moulding stage than a polymer powders...
i would use my thumb nails and gently press the product in and slightly up rite in at the side walls and nail groove just where the smile line is... this will also help tuck the product in when sculpting and giving you a better lower arch to file and free edge shape... you also have to hold the product long enough so that it will hold its shape other wise it wil gradually pop back (this is a must if you are pinching a tipped nail)

you have to remember that the product will still be able to move (nt with your brush tho) in the moulding stage but you do nt want to over pinch a nail... for instance a really flat nail can not be given a wondeful deep c curve... it would cause too much pressure to the natural nail and not look right as well as it may cause the client some discomfort...i would only give the nail a slight pinch just to tuck that product in and give a little bit more structure
if you find that the product isnt moving as it should...and its nt really in is moulding stage anymore....then you should nt try to force in a c curve as i have already mentioned this can cause problems and may be painful to your client

sorry if im nt making much sense here... i am kinda rambling!!!...lol

with regards to the c curve sticks we use these to help make sure that the c curve is nice and even... and yes like my dear friend Cathie has already said.... check that your sticks arent sharp and please pay attention to what you are doing.... cutting a client with a c curve stick isnt that nice!! use the sticks gently and mould the product around them to make sure that the c curve is even and remember to nt push them too far down the nail that you are touching the clients finger!

Personally i would recommend that if you really want to learn how to pinch in a better c curve and give your nails better structure for either salon or competition work then i would do a work shop on your application techniques with your educator as they will know the product you are using and can see at first hand what you are doing.... i am only giving you a guide line here but i would definitely speak to your educator before going it alone

hth

Jess
xox

NailNovice2 said:
I would like to know how to use them for competitions but I don't think they give a natural look.

I'm surprised they allow them in comps. I thought it was all about skill.

Kimmi Rocks said:
I'm surprised they allow them in comps. I thought it was all about skill.

i think it is abt having skill.......personally.... you have to have some skill to be able to pinch a nail properly.... would you say that Antony Buckley, Trang Nguyen, Alisha Rimando, Danny Haile, Tom Holcomb are all non skilled technicians???.... all these ppl are highly skilled and talented ppl and all pinch c curves into nails.... i think that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one as different companies think different thing with regards to what you call the c curve!

Jess
xox

I agree with Jess, when I had 2 nails applied and pinched the structure seemed so much more stronger.

My natural nails have very strong c- curves and when they have grown to a nice length they are a lot stronger to the point they need filing down.

Have seen quite a few use these sticks and some go under the free edge some use them at the side of the nail.

Trang Nguyen - when he did it he started with the larger dowel and so on so. Very interesting to watch.

Take care

My thoughts on this are theses lol.....
If you are going to pinch a nail then the aid of a pinching rod will give you good result...... they come in different sizes and you have to choose the right rod for the right amount of pinch..no use using the smallest rod on the thumb nail lol....but once you have chosen the right rod, you can't over pinch the nail as it will only go as far as the stick will let you.....
I have seen Technicians pinch with the side of their thumbnails and then over pinch... giving the nail a nice crease in the middle...and a lot of pressure is applied to the natural nail....there is deffo a skill to a good safe pinch, timing, looking at what you are doing and judging the right amount of pinch, no client will thank you if you are trying to get a nice 45 degree pinch from the hips to their really flat natural nail.................. but they might think you are the bees kness if you just give the hips a little soft pinch.....and if you have a client with a very deep c-curve a little soft pinch will reduce the egyptian hat look.....it will just bring the enhancement in line with the natural nail shape.....

The skill lies in how you do it and when you know you can do it ......
The natural nail should always be our main consideration in our pinching decission xxx Don't make a rod for your own back lol.....

Do I pinch lol....yea sometimes......do I use pinching rods ???? No the plot never requiered it lol...............but I can see their uses ....

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I have seen Technicians pinch with the side of their thumbnails and then over pinch... giving the nail a nice crease in the middle...and a lot of pressure is applied to the natural nail....there is deffo a skill to a good safe pinch, timing, looking at what you are doing and judging the right amount of pinch, no client will thank you if you are trying to get a nice 45 degree pinch from the hips to their really flat natural nail

the v type c curve i think you are refering to Ruthie is when you go in to pinch the nail at the wrong time.... i know if you leave that nail just a wee bit longer than you should have and it has set up too much
you have also hit the nail on the head hunnio.... skill is totally needed and in order to gain these skills we have to go back to my buzz word of the yr... education and really knowing your product inside out :)

Jess
xox

i only pinch on a very few clients, i use my thumbs to do this and dont think i need c curve sticks to do it, i think i know my product well enough to know when and how and not to cause the client any discomfort, this works for me and im sticking to it

Latest posts

Back