California Flare And Stiletto (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now realize that on this side of the pond that nails are taken very seriously and perfection is key when it comes to the natural look. I totally respect that. If my clients are not happy with their nail beds then they must hesitate in telling me so because I never get any complaints. Or maybe they don't even know any better. I don't know. What I do know is that I get a lot of request for this look and I have no problem with the amount of traffic coming into my shop. As far as this trend goes, I don't think it is really a trend other then where I live. Most people on BeautyTech do not care for the look but they do admire the art.
Look, I take my job very seriously and I only try my best. If your comments are for my benefit in your eyes then I take them with a grain of salt. I will ask that you respect my work like I do yours! I except that nails are viewed differently here then they are in the States. Can you do the same for me? Thanks!

Nanny

You can give the poster credit for posting in such a critical group of people. but you are also ruining the reading of this thread for the other million techs that log on to get inspiration and see what is happening on the other side of the world. if you have to ask why the person is wearing their rings half way up their fingers then you have no conception as to any style that is here in the usa, let alone know what type of nail design is in fashion. And if you dont have a clue then whats the reason you have to make your assumption this style is wrong or not in fashion. This is my honest opinion....at this point i do not see why this thread is still going. People just have cup of tea and chill.

No sweetpea I obviously have NO idea why people are wearing their rings halfway up their fingers in the USA that's why I asked....I'm from the UK and usually wear Gucci jewellery and have quite a few rings of value...I'd HATE to lose them by wearing them in the wrong place...and they certainly aren't starting the trend for us common folk.
I'll have a coffee btw....thanks:)

I now realize that on this side of the pond that nails are taken very seriously and perfection is key...YES we do and it is

when it comes to the natural look. I totally respect that. If my clients are not happy with their nail beds then they must hesitate in telling me so because I never get any complaints. Or maybe they don't even know any better. I don't know. What I do know is that I get a lot of request for this look and I have no problem with the amount of traffic coming into my shop. As far as this trend goes, I don't think it is really a trend other then where I live. Most people on BeautyTech do not care for the look but they do admire the art.
Look, I take my job very seriously and I only try my best. If your comments are for my benefit in your eyes then I take them with a grain of salt. I will ask that you respect my work like I do yours! You take serious advice given FREE with a grain of salt???

I except that nails are viewed differently here then they are in the States. Can you do the same for me? Thanks!

Nanny

I offered you IMHO some very good constuctive criticism and advice......if you can't take that then don't post your pics!!!:rolleyes:

Wow, this turned nasty, didn't it? Why did it have to turn into an "America/England/Australia" thing? I agree, flares are not something I like and I can't decide about stillettos! Those nails look angry and painful to me and I have been wearing enhancements since the '80s, I know painful nails when I see them. Yes, some people don't complain because they don't know it is not supposed to hurt.
Apparently wearing rings that are small in other than the "traditional" spot is a fashion in some places, just like stretched ears and facial piercings. So? What does that have to do with what we were talking about? Because you wear Gucci rings in the "traditional" manner, taht makes you a better - what? Person? Judge of fashion? What?
Besides, that is the OP's CUSTOMER, not the OP, so why insult someone who will never even know about it? How rude!
Anyway, I am very put off by the tone of this thread. As an American who now lives in Australia and thinks the world of NailZoo and his opinion, I would like to say that, even though, he was outspoken (as he always is) at least he stayed on topic.

Wow, this turned nasty, didn't it? Why did it have to turn into an "America/England/Australia" thing? I agree, flares are not something I like and I can't decide about stillettos! Those nails look angry and painful to me and I have been wearing enhancements since the '80s, I know painful nails when I see them. Yes, some people don't complain because they don't know it is not supposed to hurt.
Apparently wearing rings that are small in other than the "traditional" spot is a fashion in some places, just like stretched ears and facial piercings. So? What does that have to do with what we were talking about? Because you wear Gucci rings in the "traditional" manner, taht makes you a better - what? Person? Judge of fashion? What?
Besides, that is the OP's CUSTOMER, not the OP, so why insult someone who will never even know about it? How rude!
Anyway, I am very put off by the tone of this thread. As an American who now lives in Australia and thinks the world of NailZoo and his opinion, I would like to say that, even though, he was outspoken (as he always is) at least he stayed on topic.

No hun I was simply stating that none of the fashion icons are promoting this fashion in the UK.:rolleyes:
I've not insulted anybody and rude??....I simply asked a question.....and still haven't actually had an answer??
This is a FORUM...we ASK QUESTIONS and GIVE ADVICE to each other.
Usually this advice is much appreciated tbh:)

Last edited:
Oh....and just to make it fair I'll post some pics of my own nails as the thread is also about stilettos .....feel free to critique them as much as you like.
Not everyone likes stilettos either!!! :)

Attachments

• ezflow stilettos.jpg
    ezflow stilettos.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 145
  • EzFlow TTS Poshfloss.JPG
    EzFlow TTS Poshfloss.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 125
  • nails14.jpg
    nails14.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 117
  • nails18.jpg
    nails18.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 111
  • nailsc0149_RT8.jpg
    nailsc0149_RT8.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 101
  • stiletto_comp.jpg
    stiletto_comp.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 122
Can we please stop with the 'US/UK/AUS' thing and get back on topic. Alltherage has posted a postive response and after all bless her, it is her flared nails we have all been giving opinions on and whatever we think or feel, on a personal level it is hard to take critisism in any form - especially as the flared nail seems to attract such negativity!

The 'Gucci' comment is unnecessary; this is not supposed to be tit for tat and as an FYI wearing rings half way down is a 'fashion' thing and I had one once that I wore like that on my thumb!

Let's just get back on form and be respectful. And point of interest - I have an American 'MOM' an English dad and an Australian Step-Dad... I mention that becasue I love all cultures and try to be respectful of new things I am introduced to (I don't have to like them though :)).

Now I shall go have a cuppa!!! :eek: :idea:

PS: Judy, some of those nails look gorgeous (particularly the first pic) but I couldn't handle the length!! :)

Last edited:
Can we please stop with the 'US/UK/AUS' thing and get back on topic. Alltherage has posted a postive response and after all bless her, it is her flared nails we have all been giving opinions on and whatever we think or feel, on a personal level it is hard to take critisism in any form - especially as the flared nail seems to attract such negativity!

The 'Gucci' comment is unnecessary; this is not supposed to be tit for tat and as an FYI wearing rings half way down is a 'fashion' thing and I had one once that I wore like that on my thumb!

Let's just get back on form and be respectful. And point of interest - I have an American 'MOM' an English dad and an Australian Step-Dad... I mention that becasue I love all cultures and try to be respectful of new things I am introduced to (I don't have to like them though :)).

That's exactly the point I was making Samantha....I asked a simple question!! Is this the latest fashion??
Thankyou for your answer.
I'm obviously out of the whole "fashion" loop:) must be my age....
How do you wear your rings there without them falling off??
Like I said....I wouldn't like to lose them.
Anyways..back to the topic....
I DO feel I have offered constructive criticism and advice for this geek...but cannot for the life of me understand why it is being taken with a grain of salt?? Is my advice bad??
I think if this gets the lady clients then good for her. But advising to extend a nailbed and thin the nails is bad advice then ??
I'll have a coffee please:)

PS: Judy, some of those nails look gorgeous (particularly the first pic) but I couldn't handle the length!!

Thanks a lot Samantha....like I say we don't all like the same thing. Life would be pretty boring if we did really. And I can cope with that. We should all know that what's fab for one client isn't fab for another. And we will NEVER ALL AGREE!
I've posted many pics to the site and received criticism and it has always been constructive....someone says my line of light is rubbish...good.. I'll work and correct it if I can etc. I've honestly appreciated the help.
I would be pretty upset tbh if the girl who posted the pics didn't like my critique..I was just trying to be helpful. Sorry if she took it the wrong way.
And me and Rach have tried wearing our rings that way all day...mine fell off but Rach's stayed on.....but her finger went a bit blue...we are the most untrendy people in the world I guess:lol::lol: The gucci ring is too small for one finger and too big for the other.....we thought we'd found a trendy cure!! :lol:
Like I said.....I'll get my coat eh??:hug:

btw...the phrase I'll get me coat comes from a tv programme over here....no offense!!
Videos

Last edited:
extremely eye catching. All the people i know here in the uk dont relly like Well done on the artistic side of things.

Amazing and great to see other peoples work.

xx

Oh....and just to make it fair I'll post some pics of my own nails as the thread is also about stilettos .....feel free to critique them as much as you like.
Not everyone likes stilettos either!!! :)

Nice nails Judy! I have no critique. I was once told by someone here on the Geek that when I post a picture on a thread like I have that it's open to being critiqued. People are very honest here I can can see how one's honesty can be mistaken for being rude. I never intended this thread to be a UK/USA thing. People have just ran with it. Fact is I really don't care what anyone thinks. I have said it before and I'll say it again, you must see these nails in person to really admire them. And the last picture I posted is from a client who will not listen to me. She really does have unhealthy nail beds because of all the medication she takes but because she is a loyal client and has had a very hard life, the least I can do is to try and make her feel better by blinging up her nails!

Nanny

That's exactly the point I was making Samantha....I asked a simple question!! Is this the latest fashion??
Thankyou for your answer.
I'm obviously out of the whole "fashion" loop:) must be my age....
How do you wear your rings there without them falling off??
Like I said....I wouldn't like to lose them.
Anyways..back to the topic....
I DO feel I have offered constructive criticism and advice for this geek...but cannot for the life of me understand why it is being taken with a grain of salt?? Is my advice bad??
I think if this gets the lady clients then good for her. But advising to extend a nailbed and thin the nails is bad advice then ??
I'll have a coffee please:)

I thought your advice was fab, but I did think the Gucci comment came across as an My rings are better then your rings, comment IYKWIM, not that I think you meant it that way.

IMHO the art/ colours are hot, I'd wear them myself.
Im in complete agreement with Judy about extending the nailbeds and thinning them a bit.

PS: Judy, some of those nails look gorgeous (particularly the first pic) but I couldn't handle the length!! :)

Well said! Thank You!

Nanny

IMHO the art/ colours are hot, I'd wear them myself.
Im in complete agreement with Judy about extending the nailbeds and thinning them a bit.

Thanks, most people admire the art! About extending the nail beds, I do it like this because I have so many clients. They can go weeks before they need their next fill at which point the nails beds look perfectly fine. I do make my nails thicker then most nail techs because they don't break as easily. I have many clients who tell me that they never had nails stay on as long as they do when I have done them. It's just my preference and I am not open to suggestions on how to do it otherwise.

Nanny

Oh my word!!
OK..heres the TRUTH!!
Yes I have got a little jewellery but what's left I may have to pawn....and so's life..I guess for many women, it's prob not something you never heard of before eh??

Last edited:
Thanks, most people admire the art! About extending the nail beds, I do it like this because I have so many clients. They can go weeks before they need their next fill at which point the nails beds look perfectly fine. I do make my nails thicker then most nail techs because they don't break as easily. I have many clients who tell me that they never had nails stay on as long as they do when I have done them. It's just my preference and I am not open to suggestions on how to do it otherwise.

Nanny

I have stopped myself posting on this thread so many times but I feel I would like to add my wee bit in here, it is not about the flares or the art involved, whatever floats your boat on either, I love being artistic, I suppose that's why I do the job the job I do, I love colour and the p&w look but it is your last statement that bothers me; It's just my preference and I am not open to suggestions on how to do it otherwise.

Are you saying then that you are above any offer of what we think might make your nails look more pleasing to the eye? I ask this because I am constantly striving for the best nails that I can do and am always open for suggestions of improvement in ANY way that will benefit me, my clients and my business.

This is the reason why I participate in salon geek. :)

Nice nails Judy! I have no critique. I was once told by someone here on the Geek that when I post a picture on a thread like I have that it's open to being critiqued. People are very honest here I can can see how one's honesty can be mistaken for being rude. I never intended this thread to be a UK/USA thing. People have just ran with it. Fact is I really don't care what anyone thinks. I have said it before and I'll say it again, you must see these nails in person to really admire them. And the last picture I posted is from a client who will not listen to me. She really does have unhealthy nail beds because of all the medication she takes but because she is a loyal client and has had a very hard life, the least I can do is to try and make her feel better by blinging up her nails!

Nanny

Listen mate! I love your art it is totally cool.
Argh sorry if we got on the wrong foot hun...just trying to be helpful honestly!
I know for a fact that clients have their OWN issues and we can only advise to a certain degree.
xxx

Last edited:
Are you saying then that you are above any offer of what we think might make your nails look more pleasing to the eye? I ask this because I am constantly striving for the best nails that I can do and am always open for suggestions of improvement in ANY way that will benefit me, my clients and my business.

No, not at all! People have offered their advice but in this area I think that I am good. Also, I have more then enough clients, to be honest, more then I need. I know that there is always room for improvement. People on the Geek are frank and so I will be also. I see no problem with that. If you haven't noticed, this was my last thread that I have started on the Geek. It was brought to my attention that this thread was revived and so I decided to respond with only good intentions. But to be honest, I forgot how much effort it took to explain my-self each time. Just being truthful like everybody else. I think I will stay quite from now on because I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Just trying to share my work with other techs. Thank you to everyone who has responded in a positive light. And I do appreciate all the advice given.

Nanny

Judy, the nails you posted are gorgeous. I especially like the first ones with the gold glitter! I am sorry about sniping on about your rings. I think the baby ring halfway down the finger looks funny, too, but I do know it is a fashion some places. I agree with you, too, about worrying about losing them! The way my fingers swell up and then go down, I worry about losing my wedding rings, half the time! I know from your posts on here that you are kind and helpful, I was just smarting over the US/England/Australia tone things had taken. Being an American living in another country, I have to put up with lots of anti-American sentiments, esp right now with the elections and all. I disagree with many American politicians and policies, but sometimes am seen as the embodiment of the "Ugly American" and it gets old after awhile.
I do agree that the OP has some real artistic talent.
Can we all be friends again?
And I will take tea, white, two sugars, please.

Latest posts

Back