Can anyone help me with wording for newspaper ad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyk

Reaction score
Morning geeks :lol:

I was wondering if someone would be so kind to help me with wording for a new paper ad Im a new mobile business and im going to see if i get any feed back from a local paper ad but no how to word it. I do beauty nails tanning , but wanted to grab there attention with the words.

Thanks kelly

Hi Kelly,

With the wording for any ad you want to make sure you talk about the benefits of your service rather than just the features. The features are the properties of your products/service. For example the features of your business are that you are a NEW mobile business, and you offer beauty treatments, nails, and tanning.

Benefits, on the other hand, show how those features will actually be of benefit to the user. The fact you are mobile means that people can now have fantastic treatments without the inconvenience of leaving their home, their nails can look great and they can have a gorgeous tan, all at a time that suits them in their own home.

Another point is that you need to come up with a USP - a unique selling point - the USP is what makes your business stand apart from the competition. It needs to be something the customers value highly. To come up with your USP think about 3 things;

1) Needs of your customers - ie high quality treatments , convenience, value for money, etc
2) Natural Strengths of your own business - ie are you outstanding at any particular aspect of beauty?
3)Opportunities in your marketplace which are being under exploited by your competition - ie are there any other mobile therapists in your area you will be going into competition with? If so what can you offer that is different?

If you can come up with a good USP this will make your ad stand out from the crowd.

It might be worth ringing your local paper and speaking to the editor or one of the advertising guys (preferably someone with some influence) and offering to go to their house and giving them a free treatment in return for a small article on your new business, in addition to a paid advert elsewhere in the paper. This is quite common practice and an article on you will get you a lot more business than a paid advert, as people tend to trust articles more than ads. Think of it like a review of your new business.

Also have you considered having an introductory special offer - ie when I started my salon 3 years ago, to initially get people in to the salon I had '50% off your first treatment' - OK it didnt make me much money at the time but it got people in and many are still my regular clients 3 years later.

Sorry it went on a bit - hope this is of some help.

Hi Kelly,

With the wording for any ad you want to make sure you talk about the benefits of your service rather than just the features. The features are the properties of your products/service. For example the features of your business are that you are a NEW mobile business, and you offer beauty treatments, nails, and tanning.

Benefits, on the other hand, show how those features will actually be of benefit to the user. The fact you are mobile means that people can now have fantastic treatments without the inconvenience of leaving their home, their nails can look great and they can have a gorgeous tan, all at a time that suits them in their own home.

Another point is that you need to come up with a USP - a unique selling point - the USP is what makes your business stand apart from the competition. It needs to be something the customers value highly. To come up with your USP think about 3 things;

1) Needs of your customers - ie high quality treatments , convenience, value for money, etc
2) Natural Strengths of your own business - ie are you outstanding at any particular aspect of beauty?
3)Opportunities in your marketplace which are being under exploited by your competition - ie are there any other mobile therapists in your area you will be going into competition with? If so what can you offer that is different?

If you can come up with a good USP this will make your ad stand out from the crowd.

It might be worth ringing your local paper and speaking to the editor or one of the advertising guys (preferably someone with some influence) and offering to go to their house and giving them a free treatment in return for a small article on your new business, in addition to a paid advert elsewhere in the paper. This is quite common practice and an article on you will get you a lot more business than a paid advert, as people tend to trust articles more than ads. Think of it like a review of your new business.

Also have you considered having an introductory special offer - ie when I started my salon 3 years ago, to initially get people in to the salon I had '50% off your first treatment' - OK it didnt make me much money at the time but it got people in and many are still my regular clients 3 years later.

Sorry it went on a bit - hope this is of some help.

That's fab advice! x

Oh my god - thats amazing advice!! Are you some kind of advertising professional cos all that sounded so good - im suitably impressed! :lol:

Thanks!!

xx

Oh my god - thats amazing advice!! Are you some kind of advertising professional cos all that sounded so good - im suitably impressed! :lol:

Thanks!!

xx
Glad I can be of help! No I'm no professional - my info comes from a range of sources; my boyfriend (who has a marketing and advertising degree), my experience over the past 3 years of what has worked and what hasn't, and of course the internet! I subscribe to a lot of marketing emails, blogs etc, so that helps too. Search for 'Chris Cardell' on the internet, he is a marketing genuis, some of his advice is amazing! He is all about marketing for free or for very little, and getting a lot in return. He says you shouldn't feel pressurised to advertise in local media, when you dont even know if it is working, and because thats what I did when I started I can relate to that.

Hello.
I'm a journalist. You need to speak to the advertising department on the paper. I take it it's your local paper?
If you pay for an ad and ask nicely, if you offer one of the journalists a free spray tan/whatever in return for some free editorial space, that should be easy enough.
This would be more like an ad feature ie your paid for ad in a wee box and then somewhere else they'll stick some editorial blurb like a story in. If you give it a bit of chat you may even get it next to your paid for ad.
This would be cheaper than an actual ad feature but the space will not be a guaranteed size. It's worth trying for though, times are tough etc.

Last edited:
WOW...... Thanks guys for your advice, my minds doing overtime now !

No problem. If you need any more help, just ask.

No problem. If you need any more help, just ask.

my problem is keeping the words down to keep the cost of the ad down :cry:

Hi there. I have a Masters degree in marketing so I spent a fair amount of time at university learning about how to devise the most effective ads. Last week I posted an article in the articles section of SG about how to get the most out of a small classified ad. Have a read though and let me know if it is any help.

Are you taking out a classified ad then Kelly, so paying by the line etc?

yeah just a few words really as im trying to watch my money . I just cant think of anything that sounds right !:rolleyes: 0r that sells myself i was thinking along the lines of does any one have any better one LOOK GOOD FEEL GOOD
With a mobile makeover
www.wsxcgvhjn.

yeah just a few words really as im trying to watch my money . I just cant think of anything that sounds right !:rolleyes: 0r that sells myself i was thinking along the lines of does any one have any better one LOOK GOOD FEEL GOOD
With a mobile makeover
www.wsxcgvhjn.

Before you start paying for adverts, have you got a Facebook account or a blog? These are great ways of getting your business 'out there' for nothing. I also utilise my website by having an opt-in form for my newsletter and once they get to the 'Thank you' page they get a freebie or two. It takes a little time but it's well worth it, then once you get people signing up, you just send them an email every now and then, tell them if they book a friend as well who receives a treatment you'll give them something in return. You've doubled your client base in one email if they do that!

HTH's

xx

Latest posts

Back