Can you believe!!!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow girl

Reaction score
I was at college last night, just started a Swedish Massage course, i was tallking to a lady who trained as a beauty therapist in 98 at the same college.Chatting about what we wanted to do after, she said she wanted to teach adults in a therapy field. She is doing level 3 massage, so she could teach it and do teacher training at the same time. She told me on enrolment the college tried to palm her off with Nail Technology course (VTCT) but she said "i told em no way, especially as a beauty therapist nail extensions go against our belief, they runin nails, blah, blah" and on and on she went!I tried to put my 2 penny in and said, its a bad techincian which will cause problems not the products. But she didnt wanna hear it! She is probably telling all her customers that too.Is it me, but i was really shocked. Is that how they are trained or has she had bad experience?Just had to tell you all,Claire Xxx

Rainbow girl said:
I was at college last night, just started a Swedish Massage course, i was tallking to a lady who trained as a beauty therapist in 98 at the same college.Chatting about what we wanted to do after, she said she wanted to teach adults in a therapy field. She is doing level 3 massage, so she could teach it and do teacher training at the same time. She told me on enrolment the college tried to palm her off with Nail Technology course (VTCT) but she said "i told em no way, especially as a beauty therapist nail extensions go against our belief, they runin nails, blah, blah" and on and on she went!I tried to put my 2 penny in and said, its a bad techincian which will cause problems not the products. But she didnt wanna hear it! She is probably telling all her customers that too.Is it me, but i was really shocked. Is that how they are trained or has she had bad experience?Just had to tell you all,Claire Xxx

Sounds like she needs educating.... and do just that to her! In this day and age people still believe that. Well I'm a trained Beauty Therapist and a Nail Tech too, lol!

I know what you mean, nothing is more infuriating than when you meet someone who just wont listen to any kind of reason.
I had a student the other day who insisted on sharing her 'wisdom' with another, apparently she massages fresh lemon into her nails 3 times daily as it makes her nails grow strong...oh yeah!:rolleyes:
I tried to advise her to carry on with the massage bit but maybe substitute the lemon with oil. Do you think she'd listen...not on your life. She told me in a rather patronising tone that she had learned this in a very intensive beauty course and knew what she was talking about.
I muttered 'Oh well, at least your brittle nails will be nice & clean' as I walked away!!!

Glorsclaws said:
I had a student the other day who insisted on sharing her 'wisdom' with another, apparently she massages fresh lemon into her nails 3 times daily as it makes her nails grow strong...oh yeah!:rolleyes:

Lemon is a natural acid; what else but dry nail springs to mind? I think basic reasonings like these are just common sense...

Some people just love to spout crap!

I have a mate who thinks she knows everything - you try and correct her and she just doesn't wanna know. So in the end I just end up sitting there and nodding at her!

ADiva1 said:
Lemon is a natural acid; what else but dry nail springs to mind?
This is what I tried to say to her Andrea, I used the example of how a lot of cleaning fluids are lemon-based to cut through oil & grease...but to no avail. The thing that did irritate me most was that her friend said she'd give it a go! :eek:

These kind of people always know best dont they. Take pleasure in the fact that she's slowly destroying her nails.

I have a friend who also wants to be a tech, she quite often says how after watching it be done that she knows what she's doing and thinks she'll be able to do it really well with no training. Id love to see her try. she's the kind who thinks that being a tech is like a license to print money. what a comedown she'll have when she tries!!!

Many Beauty Therapists do have these outdated ideas about nail enhancements ruining natural nails ... and I can understand to some degree why they think so because they see damaged nails, they hear about damaged nails and frankly there are many people doing nails who DO cause damage.

We all know that products in themselves do not do any harm to the nail plate. However many are still using products that do require aggressive techniques during preparation or they are taught to be aggressive as a guarantee that the product will adhere ... either way, nails are still being damaged every day by those who employ these techniques. So it is understandable therapists should hold on to these ideas. You can only try to educate them by first --- agreeing with them that many are causing damage but that it needn't be so.

Hi I was a believer that nail enhancements did the natural nail no good for many years, until last year and I decided to get my finger out and learn it as it is a much wanted service.

Lots of my clients are happy with their extensions and want other treatments.

She is badly educated as I was but I suppose we try to promote a natural nail.

Latest posts

Back