Cat owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Baggy bear has agreed that was an old method of training which used to be really common until recently when different techniques were discovered. It worked for her but is not everyone's cup of tea now.

My cat used to wee in a certain spot and I sprayed it with a citrus scented spray and put some pepper down because cats hate both of those and it worked for me. He was terribly fussy about having a clean tray though. We had one tray for two cats and didn't realise we should have had 2.

If your kitten is pooping you could put it in the tray then put her in the tray and she might get the idea x

I wouldn't recommend using pepper as that's an irritant. If it gets on their paws they then ingest it and can it can get in their eyes when they're grooming.
My neighbour out it on her fence to stop cats going in her garden and I ended up with a very poorly cat who could hardly open his eyes :( my vet recognised the symptoms straight away as its something he'd seen before.

Not one of you has asked how long ago this was done, why don't you go reseach how long ago it became unacceptable to do what we did then come back and tell me.

You were endorsing its usage until yesterday so there was no need to ask you any further questions.

It hasn't been an acceptable training method for my lifetime. But these things take a long time to trickle down. A handful of people are probably still teaching it even now.

It's the same with pepper. That was popular long ago too as it was considered "natural" but if you think about how it affects adult humans you can then understand why it can be so terribly serious for a small animal.

People change, practices change, there's ever more research & advice available. It's interesting to trade information, to see what others do, see what you could do better or differently. I've changed my opinion many times on matters & been wrong lots. Sometimes fresh eyes make things clearer or just give an entirely different perspective.

I don't think you were intentionally unkind. I think you are a loving pet owner who offered advice and on this one occasion were a little misguided.

What concerned me was that subsequent posts were dismissive and defensive. There was no reflection or re-evaluation based on the contrasting views of others. Maybe that was just replying in haste & feeling a bit sensitive about it all. If you now on further reflection feel differently then that's great :)

You were endorsing its usage until yesterday so there was no need to ask you any further questions.

It hasn't been an acceptable training method for my lifetime. But these things take a long time to trickle down. A handful of people are probably still teaching it even now.

It's the same with pepper. That was popular long ago too as it was considered "natural" but if you think about how it affects adult humans you can then understand why it can be so terribly serious for a small animal.

People change, practices change, there's ever more research & advice available. It's interesting to trade information, to see what others do, see what you could do better or differently. I've changed my opinion many times on matters & been wrong lots. Sometimes fresh eyes make things clearer or just give an entirely different perspective.

I don't think you were intentionally unkind. I think you are a loving pet owner who offered advice and on this one occasion were a little misguided.

What concerned me was that subsequent posts were dismissive and defensive. There was no reflection or re-evaluation based on the contrasting views of others. Maybe that was just replying in haste & feeling a bit sensitive about it all. If you now on further reflection feel differently then that's great :)
People & practices do change but if you have no need to train a kitten how would you be expected know that your way is now looked at in such a way?
My replies were not dissmissive as I have not looked into the other ways that were suggested, I did not say any of the other ways sugested wouldn't work or pass any judgement on them (I have no need to check them out as my cat doesn't need training) the OP is the one who would be looking into the suggestions made not me.

I do feel you have said that I have treated my cats in an unkind way & yes I do feel upset about that & I am slightly defensive (who wouldn't be?) I have not changed how I feel about how I trained my cat as it was the way I was told by the vet at the time & I have always done what is best for my animals & my children (as I said previously sometimes we have to do things we would prefer not to - we are cruel to be kind - like holding babies/children/animals for injections etc..)
I won't be looking into the latest ways of training as I have no need for that information but I am glad the OP has had many replies and has the choice to use any or none of the sugestions that were posted. If I was to get a kitten then I would take the vets advice on what to do with it as I always did with my other kittens.

I would apreciate it if this was the end of this now as the OP needs the replies and I don't wish to be any more upset about the subject than I already am.

I wouldn't recommend using pepper as that's an irritant. If it gets on their paws they then ingest it and can it can get in their eyes when they're grooming.
My neighbour out it on her fence to stop cats going in her garden and I ended up with a very poorly cat who could hardly open his eyes :( my vet recognised the symptoms straight away as its something he'd seen before.

Oh really? That's good to know. I got the info off of a veterinary website a few years back but obviously you can't believe all you read on the Internet x

OK so just a little update. I washed the curtains for a third time and still she is puddling on them! Have put a litter tray in the living room but she just goes for the curtains. I give her a firm but not shouty 'what's this?' And she comes over and has a sniff.

Called the vet and they have suggested feliway to see if that helps at all. It's definitely kitties puddles and not spray thank goodness.

She does seem her usual self otherwise but will keep an eye on her and if needs be get her checked over by the vet in case she does have a uti. She is also neutered so I know it's not a calling for the boys .

Or maybe she just prefers fabric between her paws instead of litter haha

Oh shame you poor thing it is so frustrating to get your pets to behave! I have a very naughty kitten but thankfully she is better now.

Feliaway isn't as good as footsak not sure if you can get it in the uk but it made by kyron suppliers they mostly a pet Trainner you spray on curtains or such. Also have you washed your curtains and rinsed them with vinegar??
Cos some tiny Träce of kitty smell will make her nose go to the usual spot to do her business.

Have you tried changing to a different cat litter brand?

I use wood pellets for my kitties. They break down into sawdust when wet. No unpleasant urine smells.

Make sure you don't use any ammonia based products for clean up. Ammonia smells like urine to cats, so they'll just go there again. Same happens if a pets nose is rubbed in their urine; they associate the action as a lesson in being shown where to go to pee.

Maybe try putting a puppy pad down on the carpet after cleaning the place they went. That should help discourage peeing there again.

You should always have an extra cat litter tray for multiple cats. So, if you have two cats, then should have three litter trays down.

You could also try replacing one with a different kind, like uncovered or enclosed.

Yes I use wood pellets as well as I find it far better then the usual litter. I know she was trained with towels. if needs be I will use towels for her then wash them with biological washing powder as that is supposed to completely remove the urine enzymes. Always one huh?

Yes I use wood pellets as well as I find it far better then the usual litter. I know she was trained with towels. if needs be I will use towels for her then wash them with biological washing powder as that is supposed to completely remove the urine enzymes. Always one huh?
I wonder if that's the issue then...if she's been trained to go on a fabric towel then the curtains etc aren't that off limits.
I always used odour neutralising litter when I've had to keep mine in as I can't cope with the slightest smell of the litter trays. I swear I can smell a litter tray from 100 yards [emoji33][emoji23]

But she's been fine until now to use my wood pellets and apart from my bath mat she would only puddle in litter trays. They are in the bathroom. Today she has still puddled on the curtains but has gone over to investigate new tray. I've been very positive with her about her investigating new tray with a good groom which she just loves.

Maybe my baba is just weird haha

I wonder if that's the issue then...if she's been trained to go on a fabric towel then the curtains etc aren't that off limits.
I always used odour neutralising litter when I've had to keep mine in as I can't cope with the slightest smell of the litter trays. I swear I can smell a litter tray from 100 yards [emoji33][emoji23]

Why does it smell so bad and so strong I mean they are only little lol

Cat pee smells really bad!

Besides being a health issue (think you might have said it wasn't), then besides no more solutions I can think of, it might just be a change in routine.

Your routine that is. Have you been leaving the house for longer periods than usual? I remember my first kitties going through a stage of peeing in my bed (between the bottom sheet and duvet) when I started a full time day job. Well, only one was the culprit; never figured out which though.

@CocoAllure cat pee smells really bad due to the high amounts of ammonia in it and their poop smells strong as they have to have a high protein diet.

@RedBullBabe I just think she is testing her place within the family now that she is getting older. Since I bought her home she has ruled the roost over my other two but they all do get on fine. She is my little ray of sunshine and is always so happy no matter what bless her. I have not been leaving her any more then usual so I doubt that is the case.

Pets can be fickle things as they don't speak human and I know cats are great at hiding illness and feelings too.

Maybe re-evaluate her diet then, seeming as she's getting on a bit.

Is she grain free?

I know my kitties poops always stunk, until I switched them to grain free. They're on the dry biscuit form feline version of Taste of the Wild. There's two flavours, which have different levels of protein, so you could choose according to age.

My dog is on the doggie versions.

Best food I've found for them all, besides a very similar popular product, but with a much higher price tag.

I feel for you, I really do. My first ever kitty died at the age of 15 1/2 just over four years ago. Her got a tad incontienent in the end. It was so sad.

We always worry about our furbabies though, no matter how small or large the problem is.

I hope you'll find a solution. I'll keep an eye on this thread though. It's always good to learn something new at least, even if I can't be any help.

Her food is a the stuff I get from the vets. I think we're starting to get somewhere now though as she has only used litter trays today and not gone near my freshly cleaned curtains!

Decided to line the trays with bin liners and whilst the other two are unsure of what they are littlest lady hopped straight in to use the tray. Also washed the curtains with the detail anti bac washing powder and it would appear that has taken her scent out of them.

Is it a special prescription food, or is it like Royal Canin or something?

You should have seen the mess my two kitties made when I first used cat litter liners in their trays. There were plastic bits everywhere. My tubby one kept trying to eat it. Had to stop using them pretty quick.

And yay! Progress. That's awesome.

OK spoke too soon. Come down this morning to find the curtains had been puddles on again. Trip to the vets I think now

OK spoke too soon. Come down this morning to find the curtains had been puddles on again. Trip to the vets I think now
Aw not good. Let us know how you got on. That's my boy just over his bout of cystitis now.

Latest posts

Back