Celebrity endorsement?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly_

Reaction score
Has anyone had any celebrities to endorse things in their salon? What's the best way to go about finding people and how does it work?

Celebrities, no, I havent. But I've had the mayor of my town come in many times for a quick trim. I'm not sure about the best way to find these people, as I haven't had a celebrity in my place. But I'd write to someone in your town, like a mayor, and invite them over, and ask nicely for a picture with them :)

Someone I follow on Instagram pays to use a company that supply the 'celebrities' although they are z listers lol

I think it's also important that your existing/target client base actually care or know about the celebrity. For example, I mainly treat wealthy rural types, and the vast majority have no interest whatsoever in the comings and goings of what nowdays passes as 'celebrity'.

I think it's also important that your existing/target client base actually care or know about the celebrity. For example, I mainly treat wealthy rural types, and the vast majority have no interest whatsoever in the comings and goings of what nowdays passes as 'celebrity'.

Exactly! I personally do not watch any reality tv shows other than the two most recent Bake Off series so I regularly have to google the names of 'slebs' posted on here. None of my clients (mostly 35 plus age group) are interested in watching tv at all really so it's not even a topic for conversation.

I think the old adage, all publicity is good publicity, probably still rings true but is your target demographic likely to be persuaded by your choice of celebrity? I only ask because it could be an expensive experiment.

Agree my clients aren't really that type... However a friend of mine inboxed someone from big Brother and she wanted £250 included in that price is : Z list celeb has one photo with my mates product with a hash tag & link.... But do these people REALLY believe the z listers actually use these products? There's a different endorsement every day! Xx

It's a load of waffle most the time. Unless it's an A-lister and you have £10's, if not £100's of thousands to spend on it then it's a waste of time. I can think of better ways to spend £250.

Totally unrelated but as a comparison, to put your logo on the waistcoat of a semi-decent snooker player you are looking at in the region of £250k.

If it's to pull in publicity, you're possibly better off looking at (respected) Bloggers / journalists / PR contacts / marketeers in your area. I did a lot of that when I first set up my business in Spain.... approaching all of the above and asking them if they'd like to come for a meet & greet and a treatment. 6 years later and I still get a lot of business from those interviews / blogs / PRs. Also rather than "celebs" maybe look at leading business people and influencers in your area. Unless you're aiming for a "TOWIE" type clientele, look at who would influence and bring in new clients for you and act as a good endorsement for your salon. Although...., I did do a celeb Brazilian this Summer.... but she clearly just wanted a good wax and not to shout about it !! Gutted ;)

Personally as a company we do very little, we had a bad experience in the past with a celebrity. We were the first hair extension brand in the UK to use a celebrity as a brand ambassador and we will never do it again. It really isn't worth it, sadly in that case we ended up having to get out solicitor involved and 3 years later ended up with that particular celebrity settling with us for breach of contract.

If your brand, skill or products are worth it then word of mouth by your normal customers will do way more than celebrity endorsements or anything like that.

My advice is stay away!!

An endorsement isn't worth the paper its written on.

Now if an A Lister was a regular visiter to your salon. That's a bit of credibility. Not an endorsement.

Just look at TV adverts, we all know these A Lister's don't use Garnier or shop in Aldi or Iceland lol. No more than they'll believe say Cheryl Cole (or whatever name she goes by now) comes to your salon or buy your products.

Save your cash lovely on something more worth while

I'd be more inclined to find local bloggers and speak to them. I think people are becoming a bit cynical about celebrity endorsements.

Then open evenings for local groups so say a local women's running club or the local stitch and bitch or book club.

Word of mouth will be a better advert, so working with groups that will then speak to friends.

Latest posts

Back