Charging for Removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Glynis*

Gooner Geek
Reaction score
I have noticed on loads of price list that salons charge between £10 and £20 to remove and tidy the nails, less if a new set is being applied. Is this because it takes a long time to soak off L&P and gels?

Because I use fibreglass, I realise that they soak off a bit quicker than other products. I can usually manage a soak off and tidy within around 20-25 minutes.

I am keen that my clients do not damage their natural nails by pick off their nails either before a new set or just because they want them off for whatever reason. Therefore I only charge £6. This means that I nearly always eventually soak off every set I put on.

Do others who charge much higher prices have a significant percentage of clients who have them soaked off properly? I know I am tight :lol: , but, if I were a client I am sure I would rather risk damage and endure the pain than spend say £15 having them removed. Especially if I was not going to have a new set.

So this is my question: I know we all run businesses and time is money, but if we really care about the health of the natural nail, shouldn't professional removal be very reasonably priced to encourage clients to use it?

Incidentally, I never remove enhancements from other salons - obviously I don't care quite that much about the health of the natural nail :lol:

What do you guys think?

Well

i think you have a valid point there! we mainly do biosculpture and if they are having them reapplied we only charge £2 extra to cover the cost of the solution. IF they are not having them reapplied we charge £15 including a manicure.

Hi Glynis- I actually don't charge for removal if they are having another set applied- as im sure you are aware, the system i use soak off in about 10 mins so i cover it in the cost of the next set (i start them soaking as soon as i arrive & it gives me time to set up)- if they just want them removed full stop then i charge £12.00 which includes a mini manicure.

It's a good point though- i often feel uneasy telling clients the cost for removal & find i have to work hard to convince them to pay for it to be done- alot of them say they can get acetone from Boots & do it themselves for a quarter the cost (& i'm not expensive!!).
xxxxxxx

Little Angel said:
Well

i think you have a valid point there! we mainly do biosculpture and if they are having them reapplied we only charge £2 extra to cover the cost of the solution. IF they are not having them reapplied we charge £15 including a manicure.

I always advise clients before enhancements are applied that they should be removed professionaly and the reasons why, this is also stated on my client record card and they sign this, so they are aware....and that means paying for it...........but they dont just get the removal they get a manicure as well.... it's their choice then whether they follow my advice...or chew the buggers off lol..............

If they have a new set applied, the removal is in the price structure..........and is free....

i only charge £5 if the client is having a removal and re-apply but if a client comes in with another salons nails on i charge £10 to remove and put MY enhancements on - i dont think is high (especially in my neck of the woods)

I always charge for removals and it is reduced with a new set but this is generally someone elses work I`m removing and as this may be work done by NSS salons I make them aware it could cost most if it takes hours.
I`ve only ever had the one client ring me back and cancel cos she`s bitten them all off cos I couldn`t fit her in when she demanded and they`d got on her nerves, after that she was too ashamed to have a new set on!
I have to ask though Glynis, maybe its the way I`m reading this post, you said you nearly always eventually soak off every set you put on. Does that mean you don`t do any infills then?

Peter Pan said:
i only charge £5 if the client is having a removal and re-apply but if a client comes in with another salons nails on i charge £10 to remove and put MY enhancements on - i dont think is high (especially in my neck of the woods)

Ditto. I also charge £10 if they won't have anything else on...

Debs said:
I have to ask though Glynis, maybe its the way I`m reading this post, you said you nearly always eventually soak off every set you put on. Does that mean you don`t do any infills then?

It is funny Debs but I thought that she meant that nearly all of her clients who don't want to have their nails done anymore, will come in for a soak off rather than pick them off LOL. The confusion of the written word LOL.

Glynis,

I do similar to most people. I don't charge for a soak off if it is followed by a new set. I also do "free" soak offs when the nails are no longer wanted but I give them a manicure afterwards and only charge for the manicure.

I too think that it is more important that we don't give them the excuse to tell people that "acrylic nails ruin your nails".

Hiya x

I charge £10 this includes a manicure....if they are not having anything else on....but if they are having a new set on with me then i don't charge anymore than the £30 for the enhancements....i think i am making enough from the £30 to incorporate this.....and will be making some more from the re balances in the future.

xxx

Debs said:

No, I do mainly infills/rebalances. I meant when they eventually want a new set when their own nails have grown right up. Some customers keep them on indefinitely, but most don't like to see their own growing underneath and so have them replace around every 10-12 weeks. I do fibreglass.

i am one of those glunis i hate seeing my natural nails underneath.
i charge £5 for removal if they are having a set of enhancements.
£10 for removal if they are not having enhancements this includes mini manicure.
but i must say i dont do removals very often at all alot of my customers actually grow their tips out until they are just having overlays.

Where I work they charge £10 for soak off and mini manicure. If they are having a new set after the soak off there is no charge and £10 off of the cost of a full set.....I cannot get my head round that one!!!! :confused:

I ask my client to soak them off before they come to me for their new set and I sell them the acetone....

I give out warnings about what it does to your nails if you pick them off. If someone has picked them off it goes on their client record card and I get them to sign it....call me paranoid but no one is going to blame me for their flakey picked nails!!!:mad:

wondernail said:
I ask my client to soak them off before they come to me for their new set and I sell them the acetone....

Why do you do this and not ask then to come to you to do it...? just wondering ? xx

wondernail said:

I give out warnings about what it does to your nails if you pick them off. If someone has picked them off it goes on their client record card and I get them to sign it....call me paranoid but no one is going to blame me for their flakey picked nails!!!:mad:

Just my opinion but, when you are saying you get your clients to sign their record card so that you are not to blame for their flakey nails, doesn't it say on most product removers that using that product is for professional techs and not to be used at home, mine does and we were taught this when training. Your client might come to more harm than good with the acetone you give them ... I think I would prefer the flakey nails if the client is daft enough to pick them. Acetone should only be used in a salon environment by a trained technician. Now if you client goes out and buys her own acetone you cannot be blamed for her stupidity.

JMO ... for what its worth!

I was taught that time is money and to have a client just soaking off her nails whilst I could be making money on other clients is a waste of my time. I give full instructions on what to do and not to do.

I have never thought that this was a problem, I thought it was being prudent with my time...meaning that clients can come in and go straight into having their nails done rather than sit for an hour soaking and then have their nails done.

If this is wrong then please tell me, but I would rather make £30 for a set of nails in just over an hour than just make 5-10 soaking off some nails in an hour.

Hiya Angela...x

I don't think its wrong....Its your choice what you do and don't do......i wouldn't do it as i don't see it as a chore...25-30 mins and a 10 min mini manicure would earn me £10.00 and i am fine with that. I wouldn't like to see clients taking of there own nails simply because i don't trust them to do it properly...they may soak for a while then the last few bits would get picked off...and when i soak a little scraping with a orange stick is all thats needed...what would they use ????? i don't think they would know the damage that can be caused.....what if they spill it....have you advised them of how to clean it up etc....too much has to be considered so thats why i prefer to do it.

Like I said no one is right or wrong we just do things different.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I give them a leaflet full of the do's and don't...I explain how dangerous it can be to children, pets (& men!!) And I give them the orange stick!!

I have never had any probs before and I know of other nail techs who do the same...but maybe if this is not the professional way then I should think again, all I thought that 1 hr to soak means 1 hr extra they are sat in the salon and 1 hr when I could be doing something that is more cost effective.

If someone picked them off after I have given them all the advice on the damage it can do to your nails then that is their choice, and I mark it down on their client record cards in case they ever came back to me and blamed me for any damage caused.

Maybe I should think again!!??

I would rather a client tried to soak off the product rather than pick it off, but I would always recommend that they have them professionally taken off.

I charge for removal as I use a buff off gel. I cannot have a client soaking and be working on another client at the same time, but even if I could I would still charge. You can only advise a client about after care, it's up to them to follow it ... and I wouldn't give away cuticle oil either (apart from a smaple size to get them hooked on the benefits), I sell it. I'm a business, not a charity, at the end of the day!!

Latest posts

Back