Charity Begins????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagne

Reaction score
Charity begins at home????

Hmmm not so sure about that!

I am organising a charity event at the salon for 'seeking a vaccine against breast cancer'.

Just called the local press, advertising dept & advised it's for charity.....for a small advert .....£100.00.....Very charitable....

So I am asking you how did you advertise an event?

Ive already done the obvious..posters in all the local shops, leaftlets, facebook, networking group, playgroups etc etc

But would love some press coverage, have any of you called the press and given them a story including the details of the event?

I am thinking of sending an email into the press room with a story about the day in the hope that they might consider printing....

What do you all think??

Ps: great big kiss to Samantha & CND much appreciated xxxxxxxx

local press are notoriously hard to win over - they have large overheads and advertising rates are usually extortionate. Badger the hell out of them by fax and email, and they should include an events listing, persistency is the key with them though

Get in touch with all your local radio stations they are more helpful than newspapers, they will put the event on air for you for free,
be warned though they may invite you in for a short interview on the event,
they did this to me last year when i took part in the British skin cancer tanathon :eek:

I have an advert coming out next week in my local newspaper and they let me have it free if I did an offer that was exclusive to them. Its not gonna be a big one but it's still gonna get my name out there. As its a charity event I'm not sure what exclusive offer you could do but I would just keep trying. Otherwise take loubylou's advice and ask your local radio station, they are always supportive of local businesses, especially those helping a charity x x x
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow.....I may give that a go....

Yeah I am doing a chairty tan and waxathon this weekend, I got in touch with local radio presenters and am getting a mention on 2 stations, touch and mercia....they also want me to do interview about it, one of the presenters has a colum in a local news paper and is writing about it in there also.

Other than that I did a facebook group, and made my friends admins so they could invite people, gave postcards to local hairdressers and on the day I have people going round handing leaflets out. I have paid for some basic posters explaining what we are doing, when and what for and another poster explaining what the chairty is all about these cost me less than £20 from a local printers.

Hth

The Leicester Mercury issue a free paper in our area once a week (The Messenger) which covers Maret Bosworth & surrounding villages. They may do one in your area too, when we held an event last year they ran a small editorial piece for me free of charge. The contact is Jones, Rebecca - Leic. Mercury <[email protected]>
May or may not help.

Thank you very much ... is shall e-mail her ....

Charity begins at home????

Hmmm not so sure about that!

I am organising a charity event at the salon for 'seeking a vaccine against breast cancer'.

Just called the local press, advertising dept & advised it's for charity.....for a small advert .....£100.00.....Very charitable....

So I am asking you how did you advertise an event?

Ive already done the obvious..posters in all the local shops, leaftlets, facebook, networking group, playgroups etc etc

But would love some press coverage, have any of you called the press and given them a story including the details of the event?

I am thinking of sending an email into the press room with a story about the day in the hope that they might consider printing....

What do you all think??

Ps: great big kiss to Samantha & CND much appreciated xxxxxxxx

Ring your local paper again and tell them you will be advertising how 'charitable' they have been with a rival paper. Im sure that will change their mind. Works everytime! xx

Latest posts

Back